Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mover's Connection Question...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BigEHokie

BigEHokie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

I'm moving in a few months and will be doing the DirecTV mover's connection. I have a question regarding equipment. I've done this before, so I know I leave behind the dish. However, in my latest house, I had a powered multiplexer installed due to the number of tivo units I have. Should I leave the multiplexer when I move or take it with me? Will DirecTV provide another multiplexer without cost?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:37 PM

If it doesn't ruin the house for you to take the one you have, I'd take it with you.

From D*'s "Mover's Connection" web page: "Once you're at your new place, we'll deliver a satellite dish and provide our standard professional installation."

I don't know exactly what is included in their "standard" professional installation, but if you have a multi-switch that already works for you, why take the chance?

#3 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

If it doesn't ruin the house for you to take the one you have, I'd take it with you.

From D*'s "Mover's Connection" web page: "Once you're at your new place, we'll deliver a satellite dish and provide our standard professional installation."

I don't know exactly what is included in their "standard" professional installation, but if you have a multi-switch that already works for you, why take the chance?

I just had it done, the multiplexor they put in wasn't powered but they definatley put one in place for me.
R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

#4 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:59 AM

Last two times I've moved they've included a powered multiswitch.

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:38 AM

Cool. emilesVT, you may want to mention the type of switch when you call them. I guess what I'm thinking is if you've got or are getting HD and the AT9 dish, you may want to specifically mention the Zinwell WB68 switch.

#6 OFFLINE   Skip Towne

Skip Towne

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:15 AM

I'd take it with me. Chances are the next guy won't need it and you definitely will.

#7 OFFLINE   BigEHokie

BigEHokie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:32 AM

I'm in the Roanoke, VA market and I think we're around 70ish on the list for HD locals. Does DirecTV do all new installs with the AT9 dish? Is there a problem with the specific multiplexer you mention and using hte HR10-250 and an OTA? I think I read in another thread the new multiplexer for that dish doesn't work well with an OTA...

Thanks everyone for the help!

#8 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

With the AT9 dish, you cannot diplex the OTA with the satellite lines. I believe the switch would work OK with OTA as long as you run a separate cable for the OTA antenna.

Anyone else have experience with this - I don't have the AT9 dish.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

The problem/conflict between OTA and the AT9 dish is that after the next MPEG4 satellite comes on line, the AT9 dish will be doing an internal stacking of the signal which will use the same frequency spectrum that OTA signals use, and will therefore interfere with them (and vice-versa).

So if you are going to use the AT9 dish, you need to run independent coax for your ota antenna from the antenna to the receiver. Right now, you can get away with diplexing, but once the next (99?) satellite comes on-line, you will have problems.

Carl

#10 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:34 AM

I'd take it with me also. You can never have too many back-up multiswitches.

#11 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:39 AM

There were reports that your receivers are converted over to the "leased" status when using the movers program. Something else to consider -- and a reason to install on your own.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#12 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

That's one way to dump the Mover's Connection.

#13 OFFLINE   BigEHokie

BigEHokie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

I would be seriously upset considering I bought every single one of my receivers. I just don't see how they can do that, particularly with the HR10-250 and another $300 HD receiver I have.

#14 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

Your thoughts echo mine and one of the installers that posts over at TCF. He was stunned when he received his new paper-work that (per him at least) required the mover to sign-off acknowledging they understood all moved equipment would then be considered leased.

He was not very happy about it and expected poeple to complain.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#15 OFFLINE   Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:09 PM

There were reports that your receivers are converted over to the "leased" status when using the movers program. Something else to consider -- and a reason to install on your own.

I just did movers and I have 5 receivers, 3 DVRs and 2 HD. They are ALL owned still. Movers does not mean that it is leased. Only if you get receivers, and only then are those receivers LEASED. You still own any others.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...