Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ASK Dish: Local Digital Ratings (without mapped guide data)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tortolita

Tortolita

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:42 AM

Just got the 622 to replace an 811. I use locks to restrict R, NC-17, and NR/AO. The problem is that the 622 defaults the ratings for any local digital channel that they don't have guid data for to NR/AO. This means that the PBS national HD feed from my local station requires a password. On the 811, the default rating was NR, and therefore did not require a password.
Is there any way to change the default rating for local digital channels that don't have guide data?

(Of course, the 622 could just use the PSIP data that is on the channel :) )

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   waltinvt

waltinvt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:33 AM

I wonder what the law says regarding program ratings. Arn't ratings required by law and doesn't the FCC require those ratings to be part of the epg information that's supposed to be provided within the PSIP data stream? If it is, then Dish my be in violation of some kind when it restricts that PSIP data from being passed on.
A Moral Wrong Is Not A Civil Right:flag:

#3 OFFLINE   blue

blue

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:36 AM

I wonder what the law says regarding program ratings. Arn't ratings required by law and doesn't the FCC require those ratings to be part of the epg information that's supposed to be provided within the PSIP data stream? If it is, then Dish my be in violation of some kind when it restricts that PSIP data from being passed on.

The TV ratings system is a voluntary program created by the TV industry itself. Much like the ratings system instituted by the motion picture industry, this was a pre-emptive action to keep the government out of it.
- Blue

#4 OFFLINE   Tortolita

Tortolita

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

I don't know what they're required to do, but by setting it to NR/AO (the 'worst' level?) maybe they are covering their bums. Wouldn't want some kid to see an uncensored Statue of David in HD on PBS. :D

But this makes me think of a feature request. I'll put it in another thread....

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:24 AM

Good Feature request Tortolita.. I would be curious how the 942 and 921 handle this case. Seems inconsistent across receivers for sure.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

spam firewall