Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Probably a very basic hookup question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

If I want to hook up two receivers to the same TV, can I just use a basic splitter to split the line and then run one line to each receiver? I think as long as you split prior to going into the receiver then it's ok. Does that sound right? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sheridan1952

sheridan1952

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

If you are referring to the line going to the receiver from the dish, then no. Those feeds CANNOT be split and work. If you need to run two receivers then an additional line from the dish must be run. Assuming you have available ports on the dish. If not, then a multiswitch must be used.

What do you have?

#3 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

I've got the 5 LNB dish and just got a new HD set that I want to put in the Family room, but don't want to give up my DVR. So, I was going to keep my SD DVR hooked up with 2 lines going in, and split off one of the lines to hook up to my H20. That way I could still record SD, but watch live HD when I can. I already have 4 total lines coming in my house off my dish, so I guess I'd have to have D* come out and run another line?

#4 OFFLINE   sheridan1952

sheridan1952

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:44 PM

Four lines is all that comes out of the dish. You will need to get a multiswitch rated to use with the AT9 dish. The four lines from the dish will go into that first and that will give you your ouputs to run to your receivers.

This is the switch recommended for use with the AT9.

http://www.2000netwo...l_wb68_6x8.html

#5 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:50 PM

All of this would be irrelavant if D* would just come out with the new mpeg-4 DVR. I'm hesitant to get this switch and run additional lines if it's only going to be needed for a few months.

#6 OFFLINE   sheridan1952

sheridan1952

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

If you can wait, the last I heard was sometime this summer. But, as they say, I'll expect it when I see it.

#7 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

Ok, since I struck out with that, how about this:

Can I put the H20 receiver on the same TV as the SD DVR, but only use it for OTA reception? In other words, can I use the diplexor to split the signal from one of the two lines, and then run the antenna portion into the antenna in on the H20? I would do this without connecting a satellite feed to the H20, though. When I experimented a little with this, I only got the "searching for satellite signal" message, so I'm not sure how this would work.

#8 OFFLINE   sheridan1952

sheridan1952

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

Ok, since I struck out with that, how about this:

Can I put the H20 receiver on the same TV as the SD DVR, but only use it for OTA reception? In other words, can I use the diplexor to split the signal from one of the two lines, and then run the antenna portion into the antenna in on the H20? I would do this without connecting a satellite feed to the H20, though. When I experimented a little with this, I only got the "searching for satellite signal" message, so I'm not sure how this would work.

Not sure what you are asking. If you are not connecting a sat signal to the H20, why are you using a splitter? Your OTA is not on that line.

Okay, the answer would be no. The OTA is run separately from the antenna and fed into the H20. Those signals are output on the same line as the sat signal. The H20 switches between the sat feed and the OTA feed, depending what you select.

The bottom line is, no matter what you want to do, you cannot split a sat feed to the receivers.

#9 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:33 AM

Sorry the question was unclear, but I think you got the jist of my question. Basically wanting to use the H20 as a conduit for OTA without having a satellite connection to it. (so that I would only use the H20 for OTA HD, and the SD DVR for everything else). Right now I have a diplexor that combines the OTA signal with the satellite signal. When it comes into the house I then de-split (is that a word?) and run one line into the antenna in and the other line into the Satellite in. I was just wondering if I could use the diplexor to split it off, but then only run one line into the antenna in on the H20 and not run anything into the satellite in. But from what I'm hearing, this wouldn't work.

#10 OFFLINE   sheridan1952

sheridan1952

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:08 AM

The OTA is not even supposed to be combined with the sat line, not with the AT9 setup. The LIL HD Sat feeds are in the same freq range as the OTA HD feeds. Any OTA feed must be run separately from the sat lines straight ino the H20.

Now the only way it MIGHT work is if you had two switchable inputs on your tv. The SD DVR would be into one and the H20 into the other and switch between the two on the tv. But you may not be able to get past the "Searching for Satellite" message.

Sorry I don't have better news for you. Did you do this install yourself?

#11 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:47 AM

The bottom line is, no you cannot use the H20 receiver as a strictly OTA receiver, at least if it's not active on the account. The H20 is the first D* HD receiver where the OTA tuner cannot be activated by itself, as can be seen by the lack of a "satellite only" option in the guided setup. If you try to do it anyway, you'll get an onscreen error message.

#12 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:55 PM

The OTA is not even supposed to be combined with the sat line, not with the AT9 setup. The LIL HD Sat feeds are in the same freq range as the OTA HD feeds. Any OTA feed must be run separately from the sat lines straight ino the H20.

Now the only way it MIGHT work is if you had two switchable inputs on your tv. The SD DVR would be into one and the H20 into the other and switch between the two on the tv. But you may not be able to get past the "Searching for Satellite" message.

Sorry I don't have better news for you. Did you do this install yourself?

No, my original install was just with the regular triple LNB dish. That's when they ran the antenna line in with the satellite line. When I upgraded to the 5 LNB dish they didn't mention that this would be a problem. It's just been in the last couple of days on here that I've realized it may be an issue. I don't currently have any issues with reception, but I understand that may change when they activate the additional satellite. So do you think once this additional sat becomes active that it will screw up my picture? Will this happen even if I remove my diplexor inside and solely use D* for my locals? Or will I have to unhook the connection on the roof from the antenna into the dish diplexor?

Yeah, I figured if this would work I would just have to switch inputs on the TV. Use HDMI for the H20 and component for the DVR.

#13 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

The bottom line is, no you cannot use the H20 receiver as a strictly OTA receiver, at least if it's not active on the account. The H20 is the first D* HD receiver where the OTA tuner cannot be activated by itself, as can be seen by the lack of a "satellite only" option in the guided setup. If you try to do it anyway, you'll get an onscreen error message.

What if it is active on my account? Is there a way to do it then?

#14 OFFLINE   sheridan1952

sheridan1952

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for jumping in, Newshawk. I wasn't sure about that one.

Yes, the OTA feed will have to separate from the SAT feeds all the way in to the receiver. And there should not be ANY diplexors in the SAT system. And we are talking about a little box with 2 feeds on one side and one feed on the other.

BTW, there is another forum that is concerned with topics like this and there are people there that are far more experienced than I am. They may be here, but I have not been here long enough to know who is who around here. Let me suggest you visit there and post your question and see what comes up.

http://www.satellite...isplay.php?f=11

And my apologies to anyone who might be slighted by my suggestion. I was only looking to give him more avenues for answers.

spam firewall