Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM and Direct

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nosey

Nosey

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

Was there a time when you could get an XM radio account for free or discounted if you had Direct?

Someone I use to work with last year said she was going to get her husband XM and it wasn't going to cost anything cause they had it with Direct.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

I don't think so. The do have "specials" on the DTV website with their partners (like XM) periodically in the "value circle."

Edit: typo
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

Was there a time when you could get an XM radio account for free or discounted if you had Direct?

No.

There was a 50% off hardware promotion for the $225 Delphi MyFi hand-held receiver for DirecTV subscribers. Sirius doesn't offer any discounts to Dish Network subscribers, so there probably isn't much motivation.

#4 OFFLINE   face

face

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:17 PM

Someone I use to work with last year said she was going to get her husband XM and it wasn't going to cost anything cause they had it with Direct.

I got a Roady2 for $19 thru DirecTV. Cheap enough to make me jump on the XM Band Wagon. I think the normal activation fee was dropped as well.

#5 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

No.

There was a 50% off hardware promotion for the $225 Delphi MyFi hand-held receiver for DirecTV subscribers. Sirius doesn't offer any discounts to Dish Network subscribers, so there probably isn't much motivation.

They used to

#6 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, I picked up a Pioneer Airware xm2go for $49 with the DirecTV promo at the and of last year. It's great!
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#7 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:33 PM

If you sign up for Opie and Anthonys email list on their website you get specials now and then. Right now you can get an XM receiver AND boombox for $99 if you agree to a 3 month commitment. No discounts on service but thats a nice deal considering the same thing thru Sirius is $230.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:45 AM

If you sign up for Opie and Anthonys email list on their website you get specials now and then. Right now you can get an XM receiver AND boombox for $99 if you agree to a 3 month commitment. No discounts on service but thats a nice deal considering the same thing thru Sirius is $230.

The Sirius unit that you're quoting is more like the Sky Fi 2 than the XM XPress that they're pushing and it currently has a $50 rebate on it. The comparable Sportster Boombox bundle is closer to $130. The Sporster Replay has just under 50% more record time than the Sky Fi 2 (44 minutes versus 30).

When did recording radio receivers become the big thing?

#9 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:17 PM

The comparable Sportster Boombox bundle is closer to $130.

It was $230 on the Sirius website as of today for the Sportster Replay Boombox bundle. $130 for just the receiver.

http://shop.sirius.c...=7871&scId=7871

I think the recording units might be used just like the buffers for our DVR's, you can rewind if you miss somehting.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...