Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Advise me on my receiver situation please.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

I will try and be brief. I have 3 regular receivers and recently purchased my second DVR, an R10. My other is a Hughes DVR40.

I purchased the R10 during the rebate period from Value Electronics. It had a bad HD and they immediately replaced it with another R10. The second one had the same problems (they stated they did get a bad batch). After getting the run around 3 times they finally said the Direct manager was not returning their calls or emails, etc. They said I could call Direct myself. I said that was fine but I have not purchased from them and they explained it is all drop shipped from Direct.

After explaining the whole story 3 times the last guy said no problem we will get you a receiver out and an R10 as I asked. When it came it is REFURBISHED. Today when I called inquiring my new purchase being replaced with a refurb. they said they could not guarantee a new one under warranty. After 30 minutes that is the way it ended.

I have a new 2 year committment with a REFURBISHED R10. Should I accept it (the principal is I bought new and returned within 30 days only to get a refurb.) and hope for the best? Gripe further? Obviously anything can happen even to a new one but I still feel better in the long run with a new one.

I was told it comes with the new warranty (still a refurb.) and after that they will "LEASE" you a replacement after you pay shipping but it will come with a new 2 year committment.

What would you recommend? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:14 AM

If not taking the REFURB means you continue to "own" the receiver without a commitment I'd just replace the hard drive myself. I'm surprised VE did not offer that as a solution since 90%+ problems with the DirecTiVo's are with the hard drive. Then again, I don't think VE gets into "fixing" receivers as they are more of a commodity sales operation than a repair service.

Drives are really cheap these days (cost wise that is). 250GB WD's in the paper this week for under $100. It is worth cosideration at the least.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#3 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:24 AM

[quote name='morgantown'] If not taking the REFURB means you continue to "own" the receiver without a commitment

I will be considered "owning" it as it was activated prior to March however, it is a new 2nd DVR for me so I own a new 2 year committment too.

The HD will freeze or pixelate every once in awhile. I could live with it right now but do these ALWAYS get worse or could it stay about the same?

#4 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

Too bad you were not able to take advantage of the DVR4ME special in February... they "had" free DirecTiVo's ($16 shipping is all you paid) with no commitment. But that is water under the bridge.

As far as the freezes, I have one DVR that will freeze/pause for a half second or so every once in a while -- for two years. It is so infrequent that it does not really matter to me. I'll eventually replace the HD, but frequently these things can last a very long time. ...and "sometimes" those freezes are actually the feed -- not the DVR. I do not think that there is any definitive indication that they "ALWAYS" get worse.

Personally, I think that the DirecTiVo's still have a long life ahead ahead of them with DTV. So it comes down to your preference in leasing versus owning. Me, I'd rather own what I paid for.

If that is not a concern, then I really don't see any difference between a refurb and a "new" receiver. Just run the heck out of the refurb and make sure it is solid.

#5 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

[quote name='morgantown']Too bad you were not able to take advantage of the DVR4ME special in February... they "had" free DirecTiVo's ($16 shipping is all you paid) with no commitment. But that is water under the bridge.

Where the heck was I on that one? DVR's? OMG, I would have jumped on that one. I wonder since I got mine back in February and have been having problems if they would still honor that?

#6 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:19 PM

You could always ask, but I would not expect it. You never know though.

The terms of the deal were for a "35 hour refurbished DirecTiVo" but others recieved 70 hour units (like me I got a R10). Some also ended up getting a R15 in addition since the communication was not that good between DTV and the installers -- so the installers brought a R15.

Post back with your decision, I'm curious.

#7 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

You could always ask, but I would not expect it. You never know though.

The terms of the deal were for a "35 hour refurbished DirecTiVo" but others recieved 70 hour units (like me I got a R10). Some also ended up getting a R15 in addition since the communication was not that good between DTV and the installers -- so the installers brought a R15.

Post back with your decision, I'm curious.

DTV did work with me and allowed me to keep the refurbished R10 along with the R10 I was going to send back. I asked them if they would honor the February deal (which is when I got this unit) and due to all the problems they said they would allow me to keep this refurb. Only thing is it does not have an access card but I will be replacing one of the regular receivers with this unit so I should be able to swap cards too. If I ever activate it again I will have to buy another card.

All these receivers are killing me: 3 DVR's now and two regular! Those $4.99 fees wear you out!

Thanks morgantown for notice of the February deal at least I feel a little better if I have to keep the refurb I got another DVR out of it basically and DTV was really out nothing they were not already offering. I just did not have to pay the shipping.

#8 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:32 PM

That's cool, I'm glad it worked out for you.

Just so you know, you can deactivate the regular reciever(s) whenever you want (and reactivate later). Your commitment is only to the level of programming and not the number of boxes.

Again, I'm glad it worked out for you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...