Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20 Question/Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   daraius

daraius

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

Hi there I have an H20 connected to a stand alone tivo series 2 during my set up when I did a channel scan the satellite gives me 2 channels for each network station i.e. 2 nbc's 2 fox 2 abc's etc. The problem is the first of the two channels is blank and the screen I get says "searching for satellite". I also scan and get all OTA digital channels. The problem I am having is my tivo box automatically tries to tune to the first network channel in the sequence which is blank (searching for satellite message) it does not know to go to the second channel in the sequence so it effectively makes my stand alone series 2 tivo box useless for recording network programs. PLEASE HELP

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   radtek

radtek

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hi there I have an H20 connected to a stand alone tivo series 2 during my set up when I did a channel scan the satellite gives me 2 channels for each network station i.e. 2 nbc's 2 fox 2 abc's etc. The problem is the first of the two channels is blank and the screen I get says "searching for satellite". I also scan and get all OTA digital channels. The problem I am having is my tivo box automatically tries to tune to the first network channel in the sequence which is blank (searching for satellite message) it does not know to go to the second channel in the sequence so it effectively makes my stand alone series 2 tivo box useless for recording network programs. PLEASE HELP

You have a Tivo connected to the H20? How did you do that .....I believe they are not compatable.

#3 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

The H20 does have a SD output...but why even do this?? The stand alone TiVo's recording quality negates the reason to even HAVE an H20...

#4 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

It sounds as if you have the wrong dish installed in your house. I'm assuming at this point that you are in the Washington, D.C., market. You have the H20, which is set up to receive HD locals over satellite. For that, you need the 5 LNB AT-9 dish. You must have the 3 LNB dish. The second set of locals is the HD locals from the satellite. To get that set of locals you'll need the 5 LNB dish. Otherwise, you'll need to set up your favorites list to block the HC locals.

#5 OFFLINE   daraius

daraius

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:28 AM

The H20 does have a SD output...but why even do this?? The stand alone TiVo's recording quality negates the reason to even HAVE an H20...

Hi.

Because I had bought the lifetime subscription for the standalone TIVO and it does just fine recording all of the standard def program with my Direct TV premier package

Daraius

#6 OFFLINE   daraius

daraius

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

It sounds as if you have the wrong dish installed in your house. I'm assuming at this point that you are in the Washington, D.C., market. You have the H20, which is set up to receive HD locals over satellite. For that, you need the 5 LNB AT-9 dish. You must have the 3 LNB dish. The second set of locals is the HD locals from the satellite. To get that set of locals you'll need the 5 LNB dish. Otherwise, you'll need to set up your favorites list to block the HC locals.

You are correct I figured that out last night after I posted my question I think the H20 has found my reg def and my hi def sat network channels along with my OTA digital channels but when it tries to access the sat hi def local it cant since i do not have a new 5 lnb dish installed. Am I correct??

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   daraius

daraius

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

You have a Tivo connected to the H20? How did you do that .....I believe they are not compatable.

Pretty easy. I connected the tivo via rac cables to the H20 and the tivo changes channels on the H20 via an ir blaster stuck in front of the ir window on the H20. Am I confusing you if so sorry

#8 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:05 PM

You are correct I figured that out last night after I posted my question I think the H20 has found my reg def and my hi def sat network channels along with my OTA digital channels but when it tries to access the sat hi def local it cant since i do not have a new 5 lnb dish installed. Am I correct?s

Yes, you are. You'll need to contact D* or a local retailer to have the 5 LNB dish installed.

#9 OFFLINE   jcnipper

jcnipper

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

Pretty easy. I connected the tivo via rac cables to the H20 and the tivo changes channels on the H20 via an ir blaster stuck in front of the ir window on the H20. Am I confusing you if so sorry

Can you tell me what remote codes you used? I just got an H20-100, and can't get Tivo to change channels. Any help?

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,950 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

You are correct I figured that out last night after I posted my question I think the H20 has found my reg def and my hi def sat network channels along with my OTA digital channels but when it tries to access the sat hi def local it cant since i do not have a new 5 lnb dish installed. Am I correct??

Thanks

When you did the setup on the H20, did you set it for 3LNB or 5LNB? If it is set for 3LNB, I don't think the guide will show any channels which would require a 5LNB dish.

OTOH, it would be easier if there was an option to edit the "channels I get" list on the H20 like I can on my HDVR2. My wife likes to push "5" to get channel 5 and that goes to the SD version (up one channel gets the HD one). This is a problem with both satellite and OTA HD stations.

spam firewall