Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ordered My 622 Install Today

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wingnut1

wingnut1

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:48 AM

So I pulled the trigger and ordered the 622 under the rebate program this morning. I called around 6:00 this morning and I expected to be put in a que for a considerable period of time. To my surprise I got right through to someone, but the process took about 45 minutes with all the disclaimers and waiting to get an install date. I hope that they don't keep pushing back my install date. Right now it's April 22.

Some of the things that I found unusual were that the CSR expected me to send back my 921 when I got the box, not after the 622 was installed. After I pointed out the fallacy of doing this he said that I had 60 days to return the 921. He said if I returned a different receiver than the one I designated, I wouldn't get the rebate. Do you think that they would notice if I swapped the hard drive for a 20 gig I have laying around?

So how many of you have gone ahead already and taken advantage of the rebate.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:09 AM

:D I'm holding off to see how yours goes!

Keep us posted.
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#3 OFFLINE   TBarclay

TBarclay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:42 AM

I went ahead and did the upgrade, too. Call at 8:45am ET and got through almost immediately. Took about 10 minutes to go through all the disclaimers and restrictions ($5/mo fee for no phone line???) I was surprised to get a pretty quick install date -- April 15th!

#4 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

I also went ahead and took the plunge this morning. It took a while to get through even though it was around 6:00am MST. I currently have a 942 and a 510. I'm planning on deactivating the 510 and using the 622 in either single or dual mode. One thing we spent a lot of time on was the CSR said that there would be a $6.00 lease fee and I kept telling her that this lease fee is included in the programming package. She even spoke with her supervisor and he said no it is not. Am I wrong? If I subscribe to the HD Silver package, shouldn't the cost be as follows?

HD Silver - $59.99
Locals - $5.00
DVR Fee - $5.98

I won't have any other receiver on the account. Am I missing something?

The install is scheduled for 4/21 because she said it had to be 3 weeks out. She also said that they were sending a box out for the 942 but that I had 60 days to send it back.

#5 OFFLINE   liferules

liferules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

HD Silver - $59.99
Locals - $5.00
DVR Fee - $5.98

At least they were honest to you...those of us already with the 622 are finding out the hard way that with the ViP's that Dish is seeing fit to bill $6 per month receiver fee. Many of us are going thru the CSR roulette trying to get it dropped. I have yet to hear from anyone successful...

:mad:

#6 OFFLINE   cmaier

cmaier

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

I just made the call too. They say i will receive the receiver in a few days, and the install is scheduled for 4/11.

What's the deal with the install? I already have a 921 with a dish 500 and a second dish pointed at 129, and i intend to use the 622 in "single-tv mode." So I figure i just unplug everything from the 921 and plug it back into the 622 and i should be good to go. The guy said i can just cancel the install later, but seems weird that they are requiring all callers to schedule one.

#7 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

I called yesterday to verify what my future billing would be after the vip622 was "installed", so there would be no surprises.

For once I had gotten a product informed rep!

Right now I have a 942, which will be swapped with the 622, and no install is needed,

So this morning, I call about 9am est, and only had to wait about 8 min for a csr. So far so good, I tell her I want to upgrade to the vip622 and get the $200 rebate. She tells me that I'm not entitled because I don't own the 942!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ask her if she watches the Charlie chat, and she said yes, DUH!!!!!!!!!!! I tell her she is 100% wrong and puts me on hold. After about 5 mins, she comes back after checking with a superior, and tells me the same thing again!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Needless to say my blood pressure was getting close to the danger zone, and I start screaming for someone who knew what they were talking about!

This person said I was spot on with my request, and set up an "install date" april 11. I asked her since I was getting the receiver shipped, and all I had to do is swap receivers, call and activate, why I couldn't do this and save the $99 bucks.

Her excuse was that many people don't hook the receivers up properly, and it creates more problems for them.

Anyway, why do I have to go thru this almost everytime I call this company?

Sorry for venting.

#8 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:09 PM

Mine was an easy process. Post listed here: http://67.19.74.172/...?t=55534&page=2

#9 OFFLINE   rfowkes

rfowkes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:08 PM

As some of you know, I ordered my first 622 as a lease in early February (bleeding edger) and purchased a second 622 from Dish Depot in March. My current "stable" consists of 2 622's, a 942 and a 921. Based on some of the comments listed here I decided to try to swap out the 921 today for a 622 as per the rebate,

Here's what I found out (confirming what many have said here and contradicting some others - par for the course with Dish matters)
  • A subscriber is eligible for a total of 2 tuner leases a year (in other words, one 622, etc.) and a total of 4 tuners under lease (in other words, two 622s total). Any additional equipment must be purchased, not leased from Dish (and Dish charges $799 for the 622 - $100 more than Dish Depot, etc.). Since my February lease used up my 2 tuner leasing for the year this makes me ineligible for the rebate since I've already used up my "chip". Had this been made clearer to me by the CSR I probably would have reversed the order of things and purchased my February 622 from Dish Depot, waiting for April for the leased unit, thus saving $200 via the rebate.

• Next February I will be able to "lease" another 622 (once my year is up). Assuming that there are no new models or pricing, this will be $299. If there are any rebates in effect then I might get it for less by trading in the 921. In any case that would max out my 4 tuners/leasing unless the rules change.

• The CSR I spoke to this morning (very nice and apparently knowledgeable on the whole upgrade/lease/rebate situation) told me that Dish now has software in place that prevents one from leasing more than 2 tuners (one 622 or 2 single tuner 211s in the MPEG4-capable world). She mentioned that there had been some confusion on this in the past (people leasing more than one 622 when they came out) but that the "system" was now set up so that this wouldn't go through. I know there was some discussion here on the forum about trying different CSRs until you got one who would let a duplicate order go through. I'm fairly certain that it would be harder to get more than one 622 on lease at a time from this point on (unless people find other trap doors in the Dish system).

• I did ask about how I could go about making all 4 of my boxes MPEG4 compatible (since I'm paying for MPEG4 channels) if they limit me to one 2 tuner 622 or two 1 tuner 211s and she pointed out that they only limit the leases per year (2 tuners) and not the number of purchased units.

While some of the information that I found out wasn't what I wanted to hear it at least clarifies things for me and I can live with it. All is working well and it appears that L356 has addressed some of the sound glitches (early results). I'm not even too mad about spending $200 more than I should have since I think there were supply issues with 622s from other than dish sources and the $299 price did include all equipment upgrades to my dishes, switches and LNBs (which a non-Dish source would not have.)

If anyone else has a different take on all this, I'd like to hear about it. Take care.
-RAF-

DVR-HD #1: ViP622 | S/W L447RJKD-N | Bootstrap 1711RBDD
DVR-HD #2: ViP622 | S/W L447RBDD-N | Bootstrap 1711RBDD
DVR-HD #3: ViP622 | S/W L447RJKD-N | Bootstrap 1710RBDD
DVR-HD #4: Vip722 | S/W L447RJKD-N | Bootstrap 1715RJKD
USB 2.0 external drives: Two Western Digital "My Book" Essentials 500 gigabytes each
PocketDish AV700E

My Web Site

#10 OFFLINE   cmaier

cmaier

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

Does the 622 respond to the same IR codes as the 921? (or is there a "learning mode" like the 921 has, to teach a universal remote?)

#11 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

boylehome;

How is it that Dish allowed you 2 leased vip 622 receivers, when I was told that you could only have 2 tuners on lease, period? One dual tuner box, or two single tuner boxs.

#12 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

I also went ahead and took the plunge this morning. It took a while to get through even though it was around 6:00am MST. I currently have a 942 and a 510. I'm planning on deactivating the 510 and using the 622 in either single or dual mode. One thing we spent a lot of time on was the CSR said that there would be a $6.00 lease fee and I kept telling her that this lease fee is included in the programming package. She even spoke with her supervisor and he said no it is not. Am I wrong? If I subscribe to the HD Silver package, shouldn't the cost be as follows?

HD Silver - $59.99
Locals - $5.00
DVR Fee - $5.98

The install is scheduled for 4/21 because she said it had to be 3 weeks out. She also said that they were sending a box out for the 942 but that I had 60 days to send it back.

Do they waive the dvr fee as a certain package level?

Ken

#13 OFFLINE   barryl

barryl

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:39 PM

At least they were honest to you...those of us already with the 622 are finding out the hard way that with the ViP's that Dish is seeing fit to bill $6 per month receiver fee. Many of us are going thru the CSR roulette trying to get it dropped. I have yet to hear from anyone successful...

:mad:

When I complained that I was turning in a $1000 921 and only getting $200 to upgrade to a 622, the CSR offered me 1 months service free to compensate for the $99 charge after the rebate. BTW - the rebate appears only to be a credit off the monthly bill - not an actual cash rebate!

#14 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:10 PM

I called yesterday to verify what my future billing would be after the vip622 was "installed", so there would be no surprises.

For once I had gotten a product informed rep!

Right now I have a 942, which will be swapped with the 622, and no install is needed,

So this morning, I call about 9am est, and only had to wait about 8 min for a csr. So far so good, I tell her I want to upgrade to the vip622 and get the $200 rebate. She tells me that I'm not entitled because I don't own the 942!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ask her if she watches the Charlie chat, and she said yes, DUH!!!!!!!!!!! I tell her she is 100% wrong and puts me on hold. After about 5 mins, she comes back after checking with a superior, and tells me the same thing again!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Needless to say my blood pressure was getting close to the danger zone, and I start screaming for someone who knew what they were talking about!

This person said I was spot on with my request, and set up an "install date" april 11. I asked her since I was getting the receiver shipped, and all I had to do is swap receivers, call and activate, why I couldn't do this and save the $99 bucks.

Her excuse was that many people don't hook the receivers up properly, and it creates more problems for them.

Anyway, why do I have to go thru this almost everytime I call this company?

Sorry for venting.

You're not venting anymore than the rest of us. I have a degree in Broadcast Engineering and they still don't think I can hook this new toy. My feeling is that this is there way of dinging everyone. When I was told that I will be recommitted to another 18 months of service with Dish and charged $7 per month for this I was close to telling them where to stick the whole deal. They said to go to the Dish Website and I can complain. I don't think it will do a damn bit of good. I feel that I was F'd and not even kissed. I have a real bad taste in my mouth about the upgrade. When I switched from Voom to Dish I was told I would get the upgrade for free. They didn't put this in black and white and I now know why. This was their way of optomising the profit margin. We are getting it w/ the extra for the install.

#15 OFFLINE   pajer

pajer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:26 PM

i just don't understand, dish allowed me to lease a total of 5 tuners, two 622's & a 211.

#16 OFFLINE   aszulc

aszulc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

I called at 9:15 P.M. and they gave me a date of 04/22 as the installation date. They charged my credit card $299.99 and said that I will be getting a credit on my bill of $200 upon their receiving my 921. The 622 will be shipped to me prior to installation date. The box from the 622 will be used to ship my 921 and would include a UPS shipping label. They also said that installation might be sooner and that I would get a call confirming when that will be done.

#17 OFFLINE   cebbigh

cebbigh

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Just called and had no problems. Install date 4/25 pm. This replaces my leased 942 and will give me 2 622's (the first one was a replacement for my 510). Very happy that I'll get the 200.00 rebate throught the revised offer.
Chuck
TV: Mitsubishi 57" 1080p DLP (WD-Y577)
DTV: HR20-100 & HR21-700
BLU-RAY (Panasonic BD-35)
Netflix/Roku player

#18 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:56 PM

pajer;

How long have you been a Dish sub, and it may have to do with how much $ you spend a month.

cebbigh;

How long have you been a Dish sub, and how did you obtain your first vip 622? Did you buy it outright, or a lease, for the $299, and returned your 510 for the $25 credit? I don't understand how they would replace a 510 for a $600+ vip 622?

Inquiring minds want to know:eek2:

#19 OFFLINE   JerryLA

JerryLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

Called about 9 this morning, got right through, had a very good csr. The process took about 45 minutes, I changed my programming also. Very good experience. Got an install date of 12th. We will see how it goes from here. Can't wait to get it.
Dish 622 & 510

Pioneer Elite 510
Denon AVR 3300
Denon DVD 2910
Dish Customer since 1/97

#20 OFFLINE   echo6280

echo6280

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

Man...I got screwed. I called around 6:30 this morning (central time) and got through with no wait time. Thought things were starting pretty good. I got though all the B.S. succesfully and was then told that my install date was May 2nd. I really don't want to wait that long. I would certainly hook the thing up myself except I'm pretty sure they will have to switch me from a dish 500 to dish 1000. I might try to track down the installer and try to get them to come out as soon as I get my 622 shipped to me in two weeks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...