Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Want system... have questions.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beadanurse

beadanurse

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 12:40 AM

I'm interested in getting either Dish or DirecTV, but have some questions...

1) How do we know that it can be successfully installed on my property? I have a lot of trees. It appears that a dish may be installed on the existing antenna pole for the best reception.

2) I would be interested in having at least 2 televisions/receivers (and possibly 3 to 4). Does EVERY one of these have to be hooked up to a continuous phone line?

3) If I purchased a 2nd dish, could I put a receiver (from the house) in my motorhome and continue receiving programming while on vacation and extended trips?

4) If I purchased used equipment, can I simply call Directv to order programming? Without a contract commitment?

5) I've seen local tv antennas that connect directly to a small satellite dish. How effective are these? If they work, I can save the fee for local reception.

6) Is internet access available via Directv using the same dish used for tv programming?

7) I've been hearing rumors concerning a merger involving Directv. Is this merger between Directv and Dish network? If so, does it really matter which company we choose for service?

8) With Directv, will the channel numbers/lineup be the same no matter where we tune in? For example, will the channel numbers be the same at a friend's house in MD, as it is on my television?

9) How in the heck do I decide which receiver to purchase?

Soooo many decisions..... Any help offered would be appreciated.

:-)

Bea

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,832 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 August 2002 - 05:30 AM

1.-How tall are the trees and how far away from the house ? You would swear I shouldn't be able to get DBS, but I can - I had to put my Dish on the roof, but I'm 25 feet above ground with 100 foot trees 75 feet from the dish. You really should contact a local installer and have them do a site survey.

2. - According to the agreements, yes. Practically, it depends. For E* (Dish), it seems as long as you don't order PPV's, you don't. They are using the phoneline requirement to ensure all receivers attached to an account are at the same location.

3.- Yes. Exception would be if you were subscribing to your local stations (if available) and those were on a spotbeam.

4.-

5.- Depends on your area. In most cases, them clip-on antennas are not worth getting unless you can see the transmitter towers. However, you should be able to get a REGULAR antenna setup that can work. Another option could be to subscribe to the "Lifeline" service from your cable company (if they offer that).

6.-
7.- The merger (between Echostar and DirectTv) is being looked at by the FCC and Dept. of Justice right now. A decision on approval should be coming by the end of the year. At this time, yes it can. For example, if you are a big NFL fan, D* is the exclusive provider of NFL Sunday Ticket. OTOH, E* has International programming you can't get on D*. For general cable-type programming, the 2 are essentially equal as programming providers.

8.- Yes
9.- First, you decide which service you want. Then you decide what features you want and buy a receiver that comes closest.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   beadanurse

beadanurse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the insight. Cable TV is out... I live in the boonies and there is no such thing here. I have a huge TV antenna to get local receiption -- but the rotor control went up. (And with the distance, the reception leaves something to be desired even when it was working.)

Guess I'll check into the free everything deals to get started.

Smiles...

Bea.

#4 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 08:28 AM

Hi beadanurse, Welcome to DBSTalk :)

You came to the right place for those questions.
I see scooper answered your questions.
I'll just add some added info.

4. Yes you can purchase used equipment and activate with out a contract commitment. There are some really sweet promotions for the first time subscribers, you need to look at those.

If your a Sports nut, Direct TV might be the way to go, this is the last year Direct TV has the NFL Ticket.

You need to consider if you might want a Dish Network PVR or a DirectTiVo......these are REALLY sweet.

I would keep an eye on your post hear, Ill bet you'll see some more replies and help.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 08:53 AM

Originally posted by John Corn
4. Yes you can purchase used equipment and activate with out a contract commitment. There are some really sweet promotions for the first time subscribers, you need to look at those.

Actually, this is no longer true as of last month. Anyone who subscribes to DirecTV is now locked into a 1 year contract, it does not matter if the equipment is new or old.

They are trying to keep the p4 cards out of Pirates hands.

#6 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 03:46 PM

Scott, just out of curiousity why is that E* can upgrade the boot strap version on their cards but D* cannot? It also seems silly to even have a Smart Card when it should be called the Stupid Card. I mean really, neither provider can store subscriber info to an EPROM utilizing higher encryption? The whole reason that E* as a R00 number is that the CPU has a unique serial number. Guess what it cannot be changed, so even duplicating an EPROM results in no hack.
VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,832 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 August 2002 - 06:31 PM

beadanurse - if you are THAT far away, you might ask about Distant Network waivers when you activate your service. D* offers NY and LA, and E* offers some additional cities as well. In fact, since you have an RV, you automatically qualify for the Distant Networks on E* - all you should have to do is provide proof of registration to Dish (simply faxing them a copy should suffice). These Distant Network feeds should follow you around no matter where in CONUS you travel.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 11:49 PM

(1) Use a compass to see if you can find a place in the yard that is clear from trees at xxx on the compass 235 azimuth. You could also have an installer to come out and do a site survey although that would cost you extra to have someone come out before the installation unless you wait for him to come out to do the install then it would not cost anymore then, being that it is a free installation (if you can get a signal). The number I gave you was for Dish Network and would be a little lower number for DirecTv.

(2) DirecTv requires 2nd phone line to be connected, Dish Network does not.

(3) You could not do this with DirecTv due to the additional receivers requiring a phone line connection. You could do this with Dish because no phone lines are required.

(4) If you purchase used equipment then you will need to make sure that there is no money owed on the equipment and that the previous owner of the receiver released it or it would be considered stolen property and you can get into trouble for this. If there is money owed on the receiver you MUST pay the balance due on it before they will turn it on again. If you get a DirecTv receiver then they may have to ship you a new card to get it working which could result in a higher cost than you realized due to the smart card swap out going on with DirecTv. Dish Network would use the existing smart card. DirecTv requires a one year contract through the company and/or retailer. Dish Network does not require a contract through the company unless you take the Free Dish or DHP promotion allowing you to lease the system in which is a one year contract, or unless the retailer requires a contract with you.

(5) Most of those antennas (Terk, etc.) that connect to the dish directly use diplexers. These dishes do NOT work that well at all even if you live in the city, depending on where you live or where you have your dish, while it works well for others. You could take the antenna back if it does not work well for you. An outdoor antenna would probably work better in some cases with an amplifier connected.

(6) Internet access can be used on the same dish on Dish Network and I believe it can also be done with DirecTv as well on the same dish, however, you have to use special lnbf's when doing this and a certain set-up that they have.

(7) It will not matter which service you go to, they will swap the equipment free of charge with new equipment when/if the merger would happen if need be.

(8) With Dish and DirecTv the channel numbers stay the same no matter where you would take the satellite dish on the road or to live. If you would order locals if available in your area, you may not pick those up due to the spotbeams only beaming to a certain location within a certain radius. If you move to another location you could change your address and get the locals in the new location if available.

(9) DirecTv has Hughes, Sony, RCA, among other brands, but RCA is the most popular, Hughes second most popular, those being te cheapest. With Dish Network you have one choice, the 301. I would not purchase a 501/508, 721, or any other receiver with a hard drive because moving these devices would damage the hard drive especially while plugged in and may not take the bumps of the road too well either.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...