Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FEATURE REQUEST: 16x9 Mode #2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KevinCA

KevinCA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

I would like the 622 to have a second 16x9 mode that "stretches" SD channels, while keeping HD channels non-stretched. That way, HD and SD images will both fill a wide screen television.

Currently the 622 has two modes for 4x3 televisions, but only one for 16x9 televisions. The 16x9 television mode does not stretch SD channels - adding black bars on each side of the image.

Hope this is possible. My Sharp LCD has two stretch modes, "smart stretch" and "stretch", but they are disabled when using component or hdmi/dvi interfaces. My LCD is 720p, if that makes a difference.

Ideally, the stretch would be a "smart stretch", where the sides of the image are stretched more than the center. But any stretch algorithm would be good.

Other than this, and an occasional spurious reboot that reminds me of our 508 when it was new, the 622 is great. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lorax

Lorax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

I would like the 622 to have a second 16x9 mode that "stretches" SD channels, while keeping HD channels non-stretched. That way, HD and SD images will both fill a wide screen television.

Currently the 622 has two modes for 4x3 televisions, but only one for 16x9 televisions. The 16x9 television mode does not stretch SD channels - adding black bars on each side of the image.

Hope this is possible. My Sharp LCD has two stretch modes, "smart stretch" and "stretch", but they are disabled when using component or hdmi/dvi interfaces. My LCD is 720p, if that makes a difference.

Ideally, the stretch would be a "smart stretch", where the sides of the image are stretched more than the center. But any stretch algorithm would be good.

Other than this, and an occasional spurious reboot that reminds me of our 508 when it was new, the 622 is great. :)

Have you used the "format" button of the remote for the stretch/zoom modes? The stretch mode is ok - I prefer the "partial zoom"....There isnt a panorama zoom like you mentioned but I dont miss it - they make me ill during sporting events.

#3 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

Ditto that. I use 1080, 16x9, Partial Zoom for the SD channels and 1080, 16x9, Normal for the HDs.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

#4 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

Sounds like the original poster needs to cycle through the various modes by using the "format" button. These modes are even "sticky" by individual channel number! Set up a particular channel and it'll stay that format, at least on my setup.
Model 622, replaced once by DISH in Feb., 2006

Software L635
Dual mode

OTAs via large antenna in attic
Panasonic 42" plasma industrial grade monitor
Component video via Audio Authority AA1154A component switcher
Toslink switched/converted to coax via AA1554A
Bose Lifestyle 20 using coax digital audio

#5 OFFLINE   KevinCA

KevinCA

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

I was not aware of the "format" button. I cycled through the options quickly. Zoom and Partial Zoom in 16x9 mode are good for SD channels.

I still need to experiment to see if HD channels are automatically Normal, and the SD channels have sticky Zoom or Partial Zoom. That would match what I am looking for.

#6 OFFLINE   DVDDAD

DVDDAD

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

The format button or the "*" button no the bottom of the remote control cycles through NORMAL, STRETCH, PARTIAL ZOOM, ZOOM & GREY BAR when you are on a HD channel and will stay in the last mode selected on all HD channels, until it is changed again.

The same modes are available on SD channels and again whatever mode is selected last is the mode that is defaulted to whenever you turn to a SD channel. So whatever you like for SD channels will stay the same on all SD channels unless you change the mode yourself. On HD channels, NORMAL will be good for HD broadcasts that are in 16x9, but if a 4x3 HD program airs, you might want to use another mode. When you then go to a 16x9 HD program you'll have to go back to normal.
Best regards, Adam Okula
http://www.aokagency.com

#7 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

I was not aware of the "format" button. I cycled through the options quickly. Zoom and Partial Zoom in 16x9 mode are good for SD channels.

I still need to experiment to see if HD channels are automatically Normal, and the SD channels have sticky Zoom or Partial Zoom. That would match what I am looking for.

My sat channels, SD and HD are not individually sticky. The format you pick applies to all. If I pick normal for HD channels, they all stick that way.

My OTA channels are all individually sticky by channel number.
Model 622, replaced once by DISH in Feb., 2006

Software L635
Dual mode

OTAs via large antenna in attic
Panasonic 42" plasma industrial grade monitor
Component video via Audio Authority AA1154A component switcher
Toslink switched/converted to coax via AA1554A
Bose Lifestyle 20 using coax digital audio

Protected By... spam firewall...And...