Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv HD OTA question..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mp11

mp11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:38 AM

What is the best OTA antenna at the best price out there? I currently have the Directv locals package but Directv doesn't broadcast them in HD. I know for a fact my local CBS broadcasts in HD and I'm tired of seeing the black bars on each side of the screen. My understanding is, setting up an OTA antenna will give me not only HD images, but also a full screen as does my current HD channels do now. Kinda new to all this. Sorry. :) Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Also, how does the guide incorporate the OTA locals with the ones in my locals package? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:01 PM

WWW.antennaweb.org may be a good starting point. There is no best antenna for OTA reception, there are many variables that affect reception the biggest is how far away is the furthest station you wish to receive. The geography of your area is the land flat or hilly. Do your broadcasters use UHF only or both UHF and VHF. The opposite side of the coin is there is no HDTV antenna all TV antenna designed over the last 50 years will be capable of receiving HDTV broadcasts.

#3 OFFLINE   hysteric

hysteric

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:12 PM

Is it even worth attempting to use an indoor/set-top antenna for HDTV OTA channels?

I was looking at the selection at BB today and I'd estimate half the boxes were marked "returned item". :confused:

#4 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

Depends on your location compared to the towers. I get all the HD OTA feeds available in Phoenix with a RS 15-1880 sitting on top of my equipment shelf. Looks a tad strange, but it does work!
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#5 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:42 AM

mp11 how far are you from the towers? No one can help until you post that info plus your location. some channels are VHF but most are UHF. But if you are in chicago (dont think that is 'south' though), you gotta have vhf for example.

spam firewall