Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV's D-HR20P HD DVR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
117 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:23 PM

http://www.engadget....d-hr20p-hd-dvr/

As much as we'd like to find out more information about DirecTV's D-HR20P HD DVR, pretty much everything we know, we've already said. The box, which the satellite broadcaster showed off at EHX last week, apparently has 750GB capacity, an integrated HD receiver, and will sell for between $1,500 and $2,000. If it's ever released, that is. Since DirecTV insists this isn't a "consumer device" (and it certainly does have a sort of retro-industrial, rack-mount look to it), it may just be a prototype box designed to show that the company is committed to rolling out bigger and better HD solutions.

DIRECTV quietly announced a new HD DVR at EHX this past week. Despite my constant drilling, the DIRECTV representative couldn't satisfy my curiosity. He did indicate that the reason this device wasn't at CES was because it's not a consumer device. He did on the other hand tell me that it will have 750GB of capacity and run between $1500 and $2000. Not sure if we have reason to be excited other than the fact that our local watering hole might get one. He wasn't able to tell me how many TVs it supported, but he did say it will run similar software to their new MPEG4 HD DVR due this fall. Plus it has a cool display right on the front and is rack mountable.

As a side note they had the same HD DVR in the plastic box as they had at CES, which isn't encouraging, but it was interesting that it had a "Pace" anti tamper sticker on it, which makes me wonder if Pace is making the next gen box.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

http://www.engadget....d-hr20p-hd-dvr/

As much as we'd like to find out more information about DirecTV's D-HR20P HD DVR, pretty much everything we know, we've already said. The box, which the satellite broadcaster showed off at EHX last week, apparently has 750GB capacity, an integrated HD receiver, and will sell for between $1,500 and $2,000. If it's ever released, that is. Since DirecTV insists this isn't a "consumer device" (and it certainly does have a sort of retro-industrial, rack-mount look to it), it may just be a prototype box designed to show that the company is committed to rolling out bigger and better HD solutions.

DIRECTV quietly announced a new HD DVR at EHX this past week. Despite my constant drilling, the DIRECTV representative couldn't satisfy my curiosity. He did indicate that the reason this device wasn't at CES was because it's not a consumer device. He did on the other hand tell me that it will have 750GB of capacity and run between $1500 and $2000. Not sure if we have reason to be excited other than the fact that our local watering hole might get one. He wasn't able to tell me how many TVs it supported, but he did say it will run similar software to their new MPEG4 HD DVR due this fall. Plus it has a cool display right on the front and is rack mountable.

As a side note they had the same HD DVR in the plastic box as they had at CES, which isn't encouraging, but it was interesting that it had a "Pace" anti tamper sticker on it, which makes me wonder if Pace is making the next gen box.

Any ideas on what the new consumer hd dvr will cost. i heald off on getting a dvr with my new direc tv install because of the mpeg 4 switch and don't want to buy twice. I will be looking towards a mpeg 4 dvr once they come out though.

#3 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

no ideas but it's fair to say it will be equal to or above the 499 they now charge (unless newer gets cheaper...nahhh)

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:03 PM

no ideas but it's fair to say it will be equal to or above the 499 they now charge (unless newer gets cheaper...nahhh)

The January 13th Executive Summary placed the lease entry price at $299 and it turned out to be $499. It is anybody's guess, but I can't imagine that it will remain $200 more than E* charges for long. Then again, I can't imagine why the new machine is still five months or more away.

#5 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:28 PM

if this new box is gonna cost 1500 bucks how in the world are they going to do the free swapout to those of us who already have the hd dvr when each market upgrades to mpeg4......like they promised. ?????

#6 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

HOW on earth do thye expect people to pay that much for this????? Unbelievable
I'm getting so pissed off at everything just costing a small mortgage!
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:29 PM

Please remember that this is not the regular consumer model, this is supposed to be the professional model, its not meant for most of the regular customers....you might be getting upset over nothing

#8 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

Please remember that this is not the regular consumer model, this is supposed to be the professional model, its not meant for most of the regular customers....you might be getting upset over nothing

Then who ta &#$@ is it meant for? You can build a great looking box with light and such, but at > $1000 and given the R15 software......who's gonna buy it? No professional I'm aware of.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:41 AM

R15 software issues asside.

This particular unit is intended for those who are dropping $60k on a "true" home theater system... This particular unit is even out of my league... until I get the other half of my basement done... :D
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

Curious, how do rate the software interface of the H20, with u'r experience with the HR10-250, which is TiVo?

I chose the H20 over the HR10-250, & now am slowly coming to regret it b/c the H20's software is piece of $#!t. I HAD figured I'd survive with the H20 wired to my completely analog Replay DVR, & anxiously await the release of the HR20. I now fear its release to find out that the software interface will most likely be no different than the H20 except w/the record-managed functions.

It's no surpise why the HR20 has been delayed time after time, given all the problems I am now aware of with the H20. Unfortunately, D* is unlike MSFT, which is quick to release patches to fix bugs in its software. Instead, for better or worse, engineers @ NDS may be re-writing some of the core code. I really dunno. But I'm appalled that some of the glitches went undetected prior to release of the H20, as well as the lack of effort on the part of D* to quickly fix what appear to be less than major glitches.

Problem is one can never get a straight answer as to when D* will begin delivery of national HD in MPEG-4, when the HR20 is scheduled for release (understanding that with each month the likely release date slips 1 or 2 months), when D* will forcibly wean HR10-250 owners/renters off their machines as the transition to MPEG-4 programming ramps up.

#11 OFFLINE   dhodges

dhodges

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

I just upgraded to the MPEG-4 dish b/c I bought an HDTV. I am holding off on getting the HD Tivo machine in order to get the new one from DirecTV.

I asked DirecTV rep on the phone when the new HD DVR would be out and she said "later this month" (yeah, right).

I then asked the tech who came to install the new dish. He said he heard another 2-3 months.

This is frustrating. Anyone know more? Why is it so hard to get this product to the market? Seems like they would make a bunch of money off people replacing their TIVO's...

#12 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

R15 software issues asside.

This particular unit is intended for those who are dropping $60k on a "true" home theater system

The software issue would be magnified 10X for somebody who dropped 60K on a HT and then $1500-2000 on this box. People who spend that amount of money won't put up with R15 type bugs.

Its one thing to have bug in a free box, but not one you spend $2000 on. Earl you are bound to remember how the HR10-250 was picked apart when it came out for half the price. And it doesn't have near the bugs the R15 has.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

Unfortunately, D* is unlike MSFT, which is quick to release patches to fix bugs in its software.

You couldn't possibly be talking about Micro$oft. There are patches coming out tomorrow that have been known critical bugs for more than six months. There is an industry that has grown up around identifying and tracking Windows and Office bugs. There are issues that have gone 18 months since being reported without a peep from Redmond.

With Microsoft, there isn't a problem until they've got what they think is a patch. This is why we're starting to see third party patches to critical system flaws (as opposed to general firewalls and anti-malware solutions).

Of course none of this excuses the foot-dragging that seems to be going on with the MPEG4 DVR... The longer they wait, the more the leasing public is going to expect that the kinks will be worked out. As our brothers and sisters from the other side of the pond will aver, time does not heal bugs at NDS.

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:28 PM

I totaly would agree, that a $2k box will be destroyed if the issues aren't corrected by then.

BTW... If you don't like the Interface of the R15, H20, D10.... time to leave DirecTV... That particular interface is the basis for all their next generation products.

Like it or not.... the GUI on those units, is the GUI that is going to be on all new products for the forseable future.

Aslo... I don't think the HR20 (the non-professional version), has been delayed... since they never formally announced a release date.. :D

The most solid information I had seen was late Q2 into Q3 time frame.

Still 3-6 months to go on that.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

IAslo... I don't think the HR20 (the non-professional version), has been delayed... since they never formally announced a release date......The most solid information I had seen was late Q2 into Q3 time frame.

I thought Chase said at the September analyst call that it would be 1Q.:confused:

#16 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:21 AM

I thought Chase said at the September analyst call that it would be 1Q.:confused:

or maybe it was at that magical meeting where they said no rate increases? :nono2:

#17 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:41 PM

Pace huh? Isn't that the manufacturer the Sky uses for its Sky+ boxes that are supposedly somewhat more reliable than those other even less reliable Sky+ boxes? No, NDS must not be involved at all...
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#18 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:07 AM

BTW... If you don't like the Interface of the R15, H20, D10.... time to leave DirecTV... That particular interface is the basis for all their next generation products.

Like it or not.... the GUI on those units, is the GUI that is going to be on all new products for the forseable future.

I the interface isn't the problem it's the stability of the R15 and the stability of it's SL's. If it were stable the only complains people would have would be features that it does or doesn't have. An then it really would just be which to you like better.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#19 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

BTW... If you don't like the Interface of the R15, H20, D10.... time to leave DirecTV...

Um, why can't i just keep using my hdtivos through 2010? (and even sub my deactivated T60)?

ok I admit it's an unfair statement as your post was pre-agreement announcement. :grin:

just wanted to say i'm thrilled we have 4 more years of guaranteed hdtivoing.

Only "mpeg4 only" feeds of sci fi and a few other networks would ever make me buy a new machine :)

hope the easter bunny is good to you

#20 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:00 AM

U are in the same situation as I.

Problem is that the HR20 has been continually delayed. First "estimated" release date was a year ago, then pushed back to August 2005, then October 2005, then 1Q 2006, then "mid-2006." When I asked a senior VP from DTV @ CES 2006, "why the continual delays?" he said DTV had "other priorities" to attend. My reaction was "BS." U don't give the market an "estimated" (as opposed to "official") release date, then continually delay, then delay, then delay.

My hunch is that NDS has had a real tough time getting the software to work. They've never really done a DVR before, & they have been careful not to infringe upon TiVo IP rights. This is one reason why we read about the extension of DTV's agreement with TiVo, which also addresses DTV's ability to use certain features in their DVRs that TiVo may have a claim to. The other piece of evidence is the news release we saw in Nov/Dec 2005, where DTV's CTO admitted all the problems they've been having, & complaints, with the R15 (whatever the model no is for the non-HD DirecTV "Plus" DVR, which was intro'd into the market last Sept).

I just upgraded to the MPEG-4 dish b/c I bought an HDTV. I am holding off on getting the HD Tivo machine in order to get the new one from DirecTV.

I asked DirecTV rep on the phone when the new HD DVR would be out and she said "later this month" (yeah, right).

I then asked the tech who came to install the new dish. He said he heard another 2-3 months.

This is frustrating. Anyone know more? Why is it so hard to get this product to the market? Seems like they would make a bunch of money off people replacing their TIVO's...

spam firewall