Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

DISH is dropping 2 channels

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2001 - 07:15 PM

According to the "other forum," the latest Dealer Chat stated that DISH is dropping:

1) ESPN Classic---due to 20% increase in price over the last 3 years.
2) ABC Family---due to poor ratings.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2001 - 07:21 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. (or dont see it)

Steve

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2001 - 07:51 PM

Nevermind, I guess there as good as gone right now.

My post at DBSForums

Its been rumored for a long time that [Fox] ABC Family would go away from E*, I think this channel is on its last leg and will go down the tubes in a few months. All I can say about ESPNClassic is, Charlie what the hell are you thinking????? Why cant you cut some of those over priced internationals instead of a useful channel people actually watch!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Steve

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2001 - 09:48 PM

Prediction: Dont be surprised to see Disney state to Dish that if they take off ABC Family or even ESPN Classics, they will not authorize Dish to carry ESPN and ESPN2. Imagine that: a DBS system that doesnt have ESPN. Well, if Charlie wants to get rid of sports on Dish, hes off to a good start.

Oh...if my memory serves me right, ABC Family will have some baseball games when its playoff time.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2001 - 08:04 AM

I will have to get a copy of the dealer chat from my friend (he tapes them and is a dealer) and perhaps we can hear exactly whats going on.

What 2 channels are they going to replace them with?

They had BETTER replace them with something or they will hear a huge uproar.

Scott

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2001 - 12:40 PM

I assume that Charlie will continue this type of negotiating into a merger. The D* people better get used to it, like it or not, it is their future!!!

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2001 - 12:44 AM

Dish is now beginning to sound like the cable company! :)

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2001 - 12:46 PM

I think it's great that E* doesn't just roll over every time a station demands a price increase. Furthermore, I think that E* should review channel selections annually and drop low performers. With limited transponder space and limited money in my wallet, I'd rather not subsidize weak, high cost channels.

ABC Family has low ratings and there are numerous other family oriented programming choices at the AT50, AT100 and AT150 levels of service. ESPN Classic is a high cost channel and there are plenty of options for sports fans.

I used to really like TECH TV, but have noticed lots of reruns lately. And they've reformatted some shows to become somewhat like glorified infomercials. Ratings are down for them and maybe E* should consider dropping them.

Finally, if the DBS and cable outlets drop a few channels every now and again, it puts the pressure on these channels to get their ratings up.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2001 - 11:01 AM

Dish is now beginning to sound like the cable company!

My cable company just added six channels. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...