Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

anybody had both DN & DTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bob c

bob c

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 04:42 PM

i have direct tv now, but thinking about going to dish net, because i need to move the sat.dish, and the az. and elev. for the dish net. is better for the 500 system. anybody at one time or another had one and then the other who could give me an HO if dish is better than dtv.

thanks bob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 11:59 PM

I see people out here with both dishes up but I do not know if they have both services turned on or not. I think some ran a bill up and switched to another company, while others just use DirecTv for NFL Sunday ticket.

#3 OFFLINE   Tomsoundman

Tomsoundman

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 07:18 AM

My father-in-law has both. He likes horse racing on E* and other sports on D*. Mother-in-law likes D* just becase she is used to it.

I guess you have to compare and see what is best for you. With the merger now being in the mix, you need a crystal ball to see what to do...

#4 Guest_dmulder_*

Guest_dmulder_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2002 - 07:42 AM

I currently am using doth services, but need to select one in the next two months. At this point I am going to choose Directv. I think they have a slight edge on picture quality. The direct tivo with 2 tuners is much better than the 501 I have and I don't want to spend 650 to get the 721. My 501 is also buggy, nothing serious just anoying. My tivo has been bug free. hope that helps some if you have any other questions let me know.

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 01:22 AM

The 721 receiver is $499.

#6 Guest_dmulder_*

Guest_dmulder_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2002 - 07:08 AM

I was adding in the cost for the sw64 switch I would need.

#7 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 11:45 AM

I have both and plan to keep it that way, merger or not.

DirecTV for MLB EI, NFL Sunday Ticket and New York and Los Angeles distant nets.

DISH Network for Superstations and different distants.

I have the largest basic package on both. That is no additional Premium Channels. The DISH Network basic package has a slight edge with the Encore Themes, Encore west and The Movie Channel west feeds.

I also have Sky Angel, another plus for the DISH Network platform.

#8 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:02 AM

Never thought about that, you could order distant networks for New York and L.A. on DirecTv and then order your choice of 2 distant cities on Dish as well ending up with four distant cities total if you would get both services, plus your superstations on Dish, that is if locals are not available in your area.

If locals are available in your area, are you still allowed to get the west coast feeds or another distant network package on the east coast or both?

#9 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 06:13 AM

I had Dish, and went to DirecTV because of the deal I got on 2 UTV's... recording one show while watching another was becoming an issue in my house, and Dish *still* wants too much for the 721. If they had released it at the $300 level, i would still be a Dish customer.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#10 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 06:24 AM

Originally posted by Jacob S
Never thought about that, you could order distant networks for New York and L.A. on DirecTv and then order your choice of 2 distant cities on Dish as well ending up with four distant cities total if you would get both services, plus your superstations on Dish, that is if locals are not available in your area.

If locals are available in your area, are you still allowed to get the west coast feeds or another distant network package on the east coast or both?

Jacob, if you qualify for distants, you can get any 2 of the 6 regardless of where you live. You may not be allowed to get all of the Superstations, depending on where you live as some locals have applied for syndex exclusivity. Whether or not you are in a DMA which has locals provided does not seem to make a difference, except for some waiver requests. You should run your address through the DISH Network addressbroker to see what you qualify for.

#11 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:49 PM

Remenber Jacob it is not the availability of locals on satellite that determines eligibility for distant nets. It is your ability to receive OTA signals---plus the availability of your locals.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...