Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Install Qs....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   silverback

silverback

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

Hi everybody, tried this in general Dish network and didn't get a response so...

My 622 arrived via UPS, and my install is scheduled for Monday.

I'm wondering what all I can expect out of a "free basic installation" and if there's anything I should do ahead of time to make the process easier.

There's some coax running around the outside of the house but it's the skinny type and I have no idea if it's any good, and there is an old-school Dish 300 on the roof,at least 8 yrs old, with an RG-6 Dish network cable running down to my entertainment center, but there's no other coax in the house.

So, what I want to do is put both receivers (622 and 625) in the entertainment center where my HDTV is, and run the remote (TV2) outputs from both receivers into two bedrooms. There is also another SDTV on the other side of the wall from the E-center, and I'd like to make that TV1 on the 625 via coax, and also plug TV1 on the 625 into the HDTV via S-vid, since they'll never be on two different channels anyway, and of course TV1 on the 622 into the HDTV via component. My primary reason for wanting to do it this way is so I have access to both DVRs from the HDTV I watch the most via the best possible connections, for archiving timers and events purposes.

So my questions are, first of all, does anybody have a better idea on configuration?

Will the installer run coax for all of my TVs?

Should I drill the necessary wall penetrations myself before they get here or will they do it? I know they don't fish cable, but will they route it around the house and into the rooms?

Can the installer splice into an existing phone line for the receivers or do they need a jack to plug into?

Should I ask them to leave the old dish intact in case I need to pick up another satellite? will the LNB work in that case? What if I want to use it for 129 if the 1000 doesn't get enough signal strength?

Should I pull the old coax now so they aren't tempted to use it?

Will I need a switch?

I want to get this right the first time if possible, rather than having to pay for it myself later. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

The installer will:

1. install a dish 1000 (or whatever is necessary for your location) to enable you to receive Mpeg4 Hd satellite signal.
2. run the necessary cable from the dish to the receivers and install any switches that may be necessary for the proper connections, this often includes drilling wall penetrations and installing cover plates, etc. The installer should avoid using old cable unless it is RG-6 in excellent condition (might have moisture in it).
3. install your receivers and align the dish, making sure the receivers are able to receive the necessary signals.

The installer will NOT:

1. run the lines for your inside-the-house distribution system (hook up TV's in other rooms).
2. make any alterations to your present phone system (you MUST have a working phone jack within reach.

He will probably take your old dish, but if you want to keep it, remove it and store it before he arrives.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

Couple of other notes to add to Jim's
-If a DPP44 switch is needed, you are required to have AC power available in the location the switch is installed.
-As well as providing dual feeds to dual tuners, the Pro-Plus system also allows you to use the separators to back-feed another receiver. As example, if you run one down-feed to a separator, connect one output of the separator to a single-tuner receiver, you could then feed a second single-tuner receiver off the other output, eliminating the need for a second down-feed to the second receiver.
They can also be utilized with a diplexer and stacked. My installer told me with a DPP44 switch, using separators and diplexers, you can actually feed 11 single receivers, or 5 dual tuner receivers, or a combination of both, off the one switch.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#4 OFFLINE   markyd21

markyd21

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

I agree w/ jim on his response. I only have one thing to comment on. If you are sending the 625 Tv 1 signal to another TV on "pther side of the wall", you need to know that the Tv1 tuner is IR out of the box so I hope that you will be able control the Tv 1 on 625. ALSO the 622 TV 1 remote should be able to be programmed to work the 625 TV 1 tuner on AUX mopde. Check the 622 manual, it should have instructions on doing this.

#5 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:49 AM

The installer will NOT:

1. run the lines for your inside-the-house distribution system (hook up TV's in other rooms).

If the order was place as a multi-room, dual tuner install, the installer should run any required lines to get the other TV's running.

#6 OFFLINE   Kagato

Kagato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:49 AM

Phone Line, Phone Line, Phone Line.

A lot of installers see phone line installations as a nice way to make a very tidy profit.

#7 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:09 PM

the Pro-Plus system also allows you to use the separators to back-feed another receiver. As example, if you run one down-feed to a separator, connect one output of the separator to a single-tuner receiver, you could then feed a second single-tuner receiver off the other output, eliminating the need for a second down-feed to the second receiver.
They can also be utilized with a diplexer and stacked. My installer told me with a DPP44 switch, using separators and diplexers, you can actually feed 11 single receivers, or 5 dual tuner receivers, or a combination of both, off the one switch.

How well does that work when 2 single tuner receivers connected to the same separator try to view channels from different satellites? See the DPP section of http://ekb.dbstalk.com/217.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#8 OFFLINE   silverback

silverback

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, install went great, picture looks great, HD is just awesome, 622 seems to be working fine.

spam firewall