Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Software version vs. Boot Strap version

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DRJDAN

DRJDAN

Legend/Supporter

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 09:44 PM

I have an understanding of what the sotware is in the receiver. But what is the Boot Strap? Why is it needed in addtition to the software?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MrAkai

MrAkai

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 10:16 PM

Basically, the bootstrap is a "helper" application.

When the reciever is first plugged in or is reset, the box loads the bootstrap and executes it.

The bootstrap is in ROM, and probably has the driver to talk to the flash memory. It's job is to load the programming for the IRD from the flash into memory and execute it.

The bootstrap is used because parts in an IRD can change.

Let's say the maker of the flash memory changes. A new version of the bootstrap would be made with drivers to access the new flash part, but the IRD software itself would not have to be modified.

The term "bootstrap" is (I believe) based on the military expression of pulling something up by the bootstraps.

-S

#3 OFFLINE   DRJDAN

DRJDAN

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 10:44 PM

What is IRD?

What do you mean by "the maker of the flash memory changes"?

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 11:39 PM

IRD = Integrated Receiver/Decoder

which means your satellite receiver
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 09:17 AM

That Cat won't stop staring at me!!!
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#6 OFFLINE   MrAkai

MrAkai

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 11:55 AM

Basically, it's possible that some components inside the reciever will change through the life of it. If E* can get a part (in my example the flash memory chip) for 1/2 the cost from another company rather the the one they started with, they can change the reciever to use the lower cost part without creating a whole new reciever with it's own set of code/etc.

It's like the BIOS in your computer, if you have SCSI or IDE, it doesn't matter because the BIOS sets up the interface to the rest of the computer the same way.

#7 OFFLINE   johnsmith22

johnsmith22

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 08:20 PM

Boot Strap comes from the expression to lift by the bootstraps. Going back in time 25 years or more to my PDP8 days it was a little bit of code that you enterd on the front panel switches to give basic instructions to the system to bring it to life, once done the system had the neccessary where-with-all to load its applications. I would imagine the same applies on an IRD, the bootstrap code will be held on read only memory and will load at switchon, that brings the system to life and gives it the basic intelligence required to load its software.

#8 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 10:15 PM

Originally posted by gcutler
That Cat won't stop staring at me!!!

i see someone likes that Pussy :blush:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...