Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Called 4-1, got 622 today - installed and activated myself!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nightfly85

nightfly85

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

Just swapped out my 942 for the 622, called up, cacelled my installation appt (automated) had to call back, selected 8 from the menu "activate new receiver" and got the thing activated.

Wait until you're sitting on screen 129 before calling.

The 942 had its issues when it was first released, it will be difficult to have to regress for a bit, but compared to Cox cable DVR - it's easily worth it.

As long as the local channels guides are remapped to my OTA channels I be happier than I was with the 942.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

Would it work if I didn't cancel my installation? Still need them to install the DISH1000 but wouldn't mind starting to use the 622 prior to that day.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#3 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:00 PM

right there with ya FLY!!

order 8am 4/1, received 622 today. Set it up, called Dish Tech Support, was told 'sorry, we can't activate the 622 with an open service ticket'. couldn't get the tech to budge, so I said thanks anyway. Finished installing the vip and let it start the download, called back, and followed the prompts for "activate a new receiver". This person seemed oblivious to the service order until the activation request wouldn't process, then figured it out. I explained that I have all the proper dishes and hookups for the DC market (each person I spoke with assumed I needed a 1000, none bothered to read my info first :) doh), and that I only needed the tech to come out and swap DP LNB/switch for DPP, and readjust my dish 500 as 110 is coming in under 70 instead of near 100-115 like it used to. So the nice lady tried and tried, and eventually as able to get some help and get the 622 working. Then, I asked about the metal pack, and was told that could not be activated until the ticket was closed. sheesh.

So, I hang up again. Call back, and this time try the "upgrade you channels" option, and picked the HD upgrade option. Another nice lady/girl answers, and after explaining the situation, looks at the options. Comes back and says "I can cancel your order and make a new install order" or "we can call the dispatch in your area and see if they have an opening maybe monday morning". So she starts into that, and in the middle, the line drops!!! doh!! can't recall her name, she doesn't call back (why in the world don't they call back when the call drops in the middle like that! dang it!) so I call and the next person can't figure out who she was :( gotta start all over.

In the end, my 622 works, but NO HD! Until the service order is completed, it won't accept the HD request they are saying. derr. And by the time we got to the end of all these calls, it was 545, and the dispatch was closed, so now i have to call at 8am and try to catch a tech coming to my area who can spare 20 minutes. I sure hope they can do this before Tuesday night, as that is when I'll want to record 2 HD programs.

All in all, thanks to this site and all our discussions, I wasn't upset or bothered by all the run around, just got a big chuckle out of how one group says X can't be done, you call another group and they can do that, but not the next part, and so on. so crazy.

on a side note. is everyone elses 622 really really hot to the touch? the fan came on during bootup, but I noticed that while just sitting there, the casing is what I would consider unusually hot for a home electronics device.

OH, and you get 60 days to return the old rcvr for the refund. And after going round and round with one of the people about the lease fee, I think it was agreed that the 622 wouldn't have one if it were primary, but then again, I have the old DHP program, and that throws in it's own confusion. The oddest part was the guy saying the 622 isn't normally the primary receiver, and i had to comment that dish's terms and agreements state that the 622 is primary in all cases unless there are 2, then obviously one isn't primary. So, if my package is correct, I should end up with a line item of 'PlatinumHD DHP w/ 2 rcvrs + locals' = $109.99 (99.99+5 locals +5 DHP charge). DHP for those not familiar was $5 more than the base package, included 2 rcvrs for that price, and NO equipment/tech charges for tradeouts, service calls, etc. Guess that's why they don't offer it anymore.

Hopefully it won't be a complete headache once the install portion is done.
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#4 OFFLINE   nightfly85

nightfly85

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

Just cancel your order.

When I called from my home phone, it asked me to confirm my phone # (via caller id on their side), after I did that it asked me about my pending install, one of the options was to cancel it.

From previous experience, I knew this would prevent me from activating the receiver so I cancelled the install order.

It took only a minute and it was completely automated.

As a side note, I ended up retaining my previous subs which I almost kept, but decided against as I wanted espn2hd and unihd. So I called in and had to have them change my plan.

#5 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:29 AM

Just cancel your order.

When I called from my home phone, it asked me to confirm my phone # (via caller id on their side), after I did that it asked me about my pending install, one of the options was to cancel it.

From previous experience, I knew this would prevent me from activating the receiver so I cancelled the install order.

It took only a minute and it was completely automated.

As a side note, I ended up retaining my previous subs which I almost kept, but decided against as I wanted espn2hd and unihd. So I called in and had to have them change my plan.

Right but if I cancel my install I won't get my DISH1000 and I don't think I want to confuse them any more than they already are with stuff, sounds like each person gets a totally different story.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#6 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:20 AM

Ok, that sounds great, but what if I ONLY need the 622? I don't need dish1000, as I have installed that myself already, I want to move the 211 I have into the bedroom and get a 622 for the front room. I don't need a tech or other equipment, and it seems to befuddle the call center people that I only need the reciever.

#7 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:29 AM

just order as is. once the 622 shows up, call in and tell them you want to cancel the install since you don't need it, and to go ahead with the activation. there aren't any issues if you don't need anything from the installer :)

I want DPP stuff, so I don't want my ticket closed either, which is why I didn't just close it.
Regards,

RogueOne
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#8 OFFLINE   nightfly85

nightfly85

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:16 AM

just order as is. once the 622 shows up, call in and tell them you want to cancel the install since you don't need it, and to go ahead with the activation. there aren't any issues if you don't need anything from the installer :)

I want DPP stuff, so I don't want my ticket closed either, which is why I didn't just close it.

Exactly, I did not need anything to be installed. Already have a D1000 on the roof and all the cable has been run. Just a simple switch out.

If you need anything to be done to your setup - I'd wait and let the installer do it.

FYI, I had an install date of the 4-11, only 10 days after I called - that's really good - so I suspect most of you won't have to wait long.

#9 OFFLINE   HD921

HD921

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

When the 622 install is done will they uprage to DP Plus if you only have on cable run to the receiver, or do they run another cable?

#10 OFFLINE   Radicalman

Radicalman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

For your 622 heat problem, you might want to put some "spacers" under it to elivate for cooler air flow. I helped me with my 942.

#11 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

well, cancelled the install portion today. After many calls to various people and trying to get the local dispatch to move up my install, I found out the local installer has at least a 2 month delay on DPP44's. they contacted Dish about getting me one, and Dish is also supposedly out. And after explaining why I wanted DPP, the last person mentioned it should be easy enough to push that signal back along one of the sat cables with diplexers, so I guess that is the route I'll have to go. (anyone know for sure about doing that? any problems with feeding the modulator output onto one of the sat cables back towards the dp34?

So my 622 is finally working fully and I'm waiting for Thursday for a tech to realign my dish and maybe replace my dp34 (hoping that is the cause of some signal issues I have sometimes).

so far so good, but tonight is the real test as I get to start recording in dual HD :) Prison Break/24 and Ten Commandments to give it a nice workout :)
Regards,

RogueOne

#12 OFFLINE   wumarkus

wumarkus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

After 3 phone calls and an act of congress, I finally got my 622 activated. I am in the DC area, had a previous 61.5 dish, and had activated a 211 a couple months ago without any problem. They kept refusing to cancel the install, so I tried the method above and cancelled it via the automated service. When I called back, the guy found the cancelled install and seemed almost accusatory. He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and basically said that since I refused the install, I was liable for any issues or problems. I'm not sure if that was related to the receiver itself or the install or what, but I said "OK" and he was able to activate it through the normal process.

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

I also got activated this weekend. I have had a couple spontaneous reboots so hopefully my box will settle down. If not, might be swapping out early.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

spam firewall