Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Digital Out Sound (fiber optic)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rhett7660

rhett7660

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

Hi all...

Just got my 211 and I am trying to hook up the digital out to my receiver. I am using HDMI for the video to the tv. I was under the impression that I could use both. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I need to enable??

Thanks
R~

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR2D

NR2D

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

Hi all...

Just got my 211 and I am trying to hook up the digital out to my receiver. I am using HDMI for the video to the tv. I was under the impression that I could use both. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I need to enable??

Thanks
R~

I have 1 one my 411s hooked to use the HDMI and the TOSLINK cable. The only thing I need to do when I want to stop using the HDMI audio is go into my TVs setup menu and turn the speakers off.

The other 411 goes into the DVI jack of my TV so I don't worry about the audio which ia routed through my Sony STR-3000ES reveiver via the TOSLINK cable.

Have had NO problems with either setups.:)

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

#3 OFFLINE   intrac

intrac

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

Hi all...

Thanks
R~

If both devices support HDMI, the TOSLINK connection is redundant.

HDMI also supports audio.

#4 OFFLINE   rhett7660

rhett7660

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

If both devices support HDMI, the TOSLINK connection is redundant.

HDMI also supports audio.

Right.. But I am not running my hdmi thru my receiver. The hdmi is going to the tv... I would like the sound to come out of the receiver via 5.1 (when available).

I will try disabling the speakers on the tv and see if that works.....

R~

#5 OFFLINE   intrac

intrac

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:25 PM

Should work, but if it doesn't, you'll have to use the TOSLINK connection.

My connection is HDMI (VIP211) to my DVI-D (TV) so I have to use TOSLINK.
My TV's audio is connected by TOSLINK to the Yamaha amp.

#6 OFFLINE   HAROLD S

HAROLD S

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:51 PM

I have a vip211. I use hdmi going to my tv and the toslink going to my receiver. It works. I don't even turn off my tv speakers, I just turn them all the way down. No need to go into the menu and turn them off.

#7 OFFLINE   rhett7660

rhett7660

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

Thanks..

I just got off the phone with Dish Network.. They are sending me a new box... Hopefully this takes care of the problem........

Thanks again.. I knew you could do it.....but for some reason my box isn't working....

R~

spam firewall