Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How many care about HD locals?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   auburn2

auburn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

just soliciting opinons here. With the OTA tuner available I could care less if Dish ever decides to carry my locals in HD, and to be honest I would rather they DIDN'T. The dish HD locals will never match OTA locals in PQ (assuming you have Line of sight to the Tx antenna) , and they could use that bandwidth for improving PQ on other HD stations instead.

What do the rest of you think?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   omeletpants

omeletpants

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:26 PM

just soliciting opinons here. With the OTA tuner available I could care less if Dish ever decides to carry my locals in HD, and to be honest I would rather they DIDN'T. The dish HD locals will never match OTA locals in PQ (assuming you have Line of sight to the Tx antenna) , and they could use that bandwidth for improving PQ on other HD stations instead.

In some areas the locals are unreliable. I get a lot of wind here and that sometimes screws up reception. Don't be offended but the phrase is "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less".

#3 OFFLINE   liferules

liferules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

Bring on the HD Lil's! I definitely want them. The OTA is great but reception is very patchy...sometimes great, and other times, for no apparent reason, the channel disappears (and this is 20 miles from the towers).

I prefer the HD content on major networks as opposed to the Voom channels...there are maybe 2 that I sometimes watch, the rest are of little value to me...

#4 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:43 PM

Locals in HD is why we just upgraded to a 622. We've had the SD locals package since it was available.

We can't get network OTA locals. ABC, CBS & NBC are about 22 miles away, but there is a 900 ft. hill about 3-4 miles from us, right in the line of site & all the tall buildings in downtown Seattle are in the way closer to the transmitters. The FOX transmitter is about 35 miles away & even an analog signal is iffy. The only OTAs we can get are a couple of shopping channels & PAX since those transmitters are up in the Cascade foothills & less than 7 miles away.

#5 OFFLINE   davidxlai

davidxlai

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

Are you kidding me? The reason I got 622 is because sometime this quarter E* will carry local HD in the San Francisco market. I live among the rolling hills in coastal California and I cannot get local OTA HD.

#6 OFFLINE   abricko

abricko

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

I'd prefer more national HD programs, (HD) LILs are a waste of space (for me)... I have an antenna on my roof and I get great reception... it's also nice having 3 tuners!
VIP 622
42" Sony KDF-42WE655

#7 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

Dish is the only way I can receive locals - HD or SD. Even with a 50 foot tower the OTA reception here is poor. Cable added two network feeds last year but still doesn't have the other two. I'm getting really tired of people saying "oh, just get them OTA". For many of us that' just not possible.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

I get all my locals just fine, and most are in HD as well as some extra digital substations.

But if I ever dive into the DVR, having HD locals via satellite would give me more flexibility for recording/watching programs since I'd be able to record an HD local via OTA or via satellite and watch another on the other tuner.

#9 OFFLINE   redbird

redbird

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:28 PM

HDMe said it perfectly for me. But, I would trade some HD locals for more national HD channels.

#10 OFFLINE   Powie

Powie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:48 AM

I'm not able to get locals in HD without getting a big antanae, and then getting permission from my HOA to mount it. And I don't really want an ugly antanae mounted to my townhouse, so yes I want/need locals via dish. A major part of me updating to the 622 from my 6 month old 942.
VIP-622-C
Ver: L356RBDD-N
Bootstrap: 1710RBDD
Dish 1000

#11 OFFLINE   skassan

skassan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:59 AM

I want HD LIL because there's only one OTA tuner. With LIL, I can record conflicting network programming.
Scott Kassan
Switched 921 for 622 04/21/2006

#12 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:18 AM

I am all for HD nationals, Just so I can get network HD. My socalled local do not all send out HD or are still low power

#13 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:23 AM

I'm not able to get locals in HD without getting a big antanae, and then getting permission from my HOA to mount it. And I don't really want an ugly antanae mounted to my townhouse, so yes I want/need locals via dish. A major part of me updating to the 622 from my 6 month old 942.

If they ever get the tower up, you'll be able to get HD with a coathanger.:D I live in an area where ABC is digital no HD transmitter and Fox is analog. To retrieve those stations in HD, I use an antenna to pickup Kansas City stations. Satellite for OTA, other than its OTA tuner doesn't help me.

#14 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:52 AM

auburn2, I'm looking forward to HD Locals VIA satellite. Currently with the OTA, I can only record one channel at the same time. Usually at prime time there are other programs that I desire to record. With Satellite HD Locals I can record up to three networks programs at the same time.

#15 OFFLINE   zeekle

zeekle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:34 AM

i am looking forward to HD locals myself. OTA may be better but its not 100% where I live (NBC is no go for me at all)

It will be interesting to me to see the difference in PQ over OTA on the channels I get most fo the time.

#16 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:36 AM

Having HD locals would allow me to record two network programs in HD, which would be great. Sure, I'd like StarzHD, Cinemax HD, or MHD, but locals would be more useful to me than say, HD networks devoted to Fashion, Extreme sports, Art, or Kung Fu.

#17 OFFLINE   wingnut1

wingnut1

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:49 AM

I don't think my market will get HD locals so I will have to continue to use OTA. It would be nice to have satelitte hd locals so that I could record conflicting HD Network shows that I like to watch. I can do this to some extent by recording one set on my 942 the other on my 622. It would probably be better to have more national channels in HD. USA, FX, SciFi, TBS, etc... I would trade off most of the VOOM channels to get these in HD.

#18 OFFLINE   djmav

djmav

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:56 AM

I care. I hope they get the SF HD locals soon.

#19 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

I am looking forward to HD locals, just for the fact that I'll be able to record up to 3 network shows in HD at once. However, the Sat provided HD locals will not be the ones I primarily view. Since I get all my locals in HD via OTA I will continue to record all shows possible via OTA since the picture quality will be better.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#20 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:01 AM

I care. I hope they get the SF HD locals soon.

San Francisco get HD locals Dish Care?? If Dish Cared San Francisco would have been one of the first to get HD local since the bay area is the leader in HD as far a number of household ownership of DH Tv is concern. But dish care about the bay area I doubt it.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

spam firewall