Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sony PnP Lens...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 02:12 PM

Hey Scott

I saw you asked about removing the lens on the Sony PnP Unit, over at ClubXM. Did you end up removing it and did it make a big difference?

I am very frustrated at the display on the Sony. Driving along, I just can't see the display, so I can't even tell what channel I'm on, nevermind what song is playing.

#2 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 02:55 PM

I tried it on mine the other night, didn't really see a difference at all, possibly Sony changed the design of the lens to compensate for its problems, as the unit I have was brand new inventory almost directly off the truck from Sony.

Wont matter much for me, after demoing the PnP for almost a month now, I can honestly say I hate the thing. I love XM service, but there are waaaay to many design problems in this unit. The Screen, lack of presets, and that &*@#ing jog dial need to go. I see a new Pioneer head-unit and outboard XM tuner in my future. :D

Or i can keep it and suffer with it until the Eclipse units come out, or Sirius tanks, and Kenwood starts making XM equipment. :)

#3 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 03:52 PM

PeterB,

Check out the newly updated Sony model here: http://www.xmfan.com...wtopic.php?t=33

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 04:58 PM

Looks like the same unit I have now, except it has a band button which gives you 4 bands for a total of 20 presets instead of the 5 we have now. Also the remote looks like you can directly enter channels.

#5 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 07:32 AM

Still don't think its going to help the screen at all, still looks like the very same LCD with white LED backlighting instead of Blue. Isn't going to cut it, really. Negative Field the LCD or switch to a Vacuum Florescent display and we'll talk. What i'd love is a unit like the PNP, that can dock and be controlled by a Head-unit as a remote tuner as well.

Sony should mail everyone a new "updated" model for free for releasing the original PNP with 5 presets and an apology letter. :D

spam firewall