Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network HD or Comcast Cable HD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beanman222

beanman222

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:33 PM

Hello...
I'm new to the HD world... I just purchased a Panasonic 50" Plasma TV and I don't know which way to go.

I currently have standard Dish Network for viewing movies. I also have Comcast Cable which is used for viewing local channels regular TV. This all goes in to a Video Distribution Center that allows me to send this to various rooms.

I want to switch everything over to one or the other, but I am not sure which would provide a better picture on the Plasma TV.

HD Dish Network or Comcast Cable HD???

Thanks...

Beanman222

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Powie

Powie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:21 AM

Hello...

Thanks...

Beanman222

Well just my experience. I bought my HD setup about a year ago, and was on Comcast then. I upgraded to their HD / Digital package. I was disappointed that part of their content was still analog only and looked like crap. I also had a Motorola/DVR set top box, which seemed to regularly drop audio for a second or two every couple of minutes. At the time they had locals in HD which was a big part of trying Comcast's HD. But the audio glitches were enough to drive me away, as well as the price. I switched over to Dish last September I believe, and while suffering a few minor growing pains with the 942, it worked much better than Comcast. Recently Dish added the locals in HD so I've upgraded to the 622, it has a few issues, and I've only had it a few days now. But I am sure they are working hard to resolve them and soon it will be as stable as my 942 was. Other than that check your line of sight will be clear. Any HOA restrictions? My townhouse required some paperwork so I could mount it to the building. While the FCC says we can have dishes, HOA still controls what can be physically attached to their building.

Note/edit: I know you mention you have dish now, but will all content be avail w/o another dish, and I mention the hoa stuff as just a general comment not directed at you but for anyone else reading who has hoa to deal wtih.
VIP-622-C
Ver: L356RBDD-N
Bootstrap: 1710RBDD
Dish 1000

#3 OFFLINE   jadiff

jadiff

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:49 AM

This is the same dilemma that I faced in January. I had Comcast for locals and internet. Dish for the majority of TV viewing. I bought a plasma and wanted to upgrade to an HD set-up with Dish and they wanted $800. I knew that the Dish set-up (the 942) was going to be replaced within a few weeks with the ViP622. So I opted to go with Comcast which had no upfront costs.

Now I am ready to dump Comcast entirely. Their stb's are very buggy, and the price you pay is for very limited HD content. I understand that the ViP's can be buggy also, and the Comcast boxes are to be replaced this fall.

You may have to wait for a few weeks/months to get the ViP though. They are in short supply and high demand. So it seems that they are reserved for existing Dish HD customers or new customers.

If you can manage, I would recommend dish over Comcast.
-More HD content
-Better (in my experience) receivers
-Better value for your dollar

Good luck, keep us posted.

#4 OFFLINE   DP1

DP1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:07 AM

Well while you're making up your mind, in the short term you should prolly just upgrade your Comcast system to HD because normally it doesnt cost much of anything upfront to do that. That way you can start enjoying HD on the Panny, soon. And theres no long term commitment to simply do that.

Whats the HD channel line-up in your area on Comcast? Some areas offer more HD than others. Do you want movie channels in HD? Many Comcast areas offer HBO/Sho/Starz!/Cinemax in HD. Dish currently only has HBO/Sho. But Dish offers more HD overall.

Do you want a HD-DVR.. or happy enough with a non DVR box? With Comcast that might only be the difference between paying about $5 a month or $10 a month for either of the 2 boxes. With Dish you have to decide if you want to pay a lot upfront for the hardware to have no 18 month programming comitment, or pay much less upfront and have one. The HD-DVR will still set you back 299.00 upfront even with the comittent. About 650.00 without it.

This all might sound pro Comcast and I dont mean it to. Heck I just switched back to Dish myself after having Comcast for a couple years. But my point is, it might take you a lil while to come to a long term decision, so why not grap up a Comcast HD box in the meantime and start watching HD right away. You can always switch over to Dish HD anytime you want.

#5 OFFLINE   jmsteffen

jmsteffen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:58 AM

I was at my sister's house yesterday for Easter dinner and was watching her new HD Comcast... Some channels looked fine but I couldn't believe how bad some of the channels looked. Even though she has the all digital STB, many of the stations looked grainy, as compared to what I'm used to. It reminded me of why I switched to E* in the first place...

#6 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:05 AM

Easy choice in my area. Comcast has 17 HD channels including locals. Dish has 31 HD channels including locals. A no brainer.

#7 OFFLINE   nataraj

nataraj

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:38 PM

I've comcast but am thinking of switching to dish - because of number of hd channels (I've got bored with INHD).

The biggest plus for Comcast - in my book - are free HD-DVRs. Any number of them. You don't need to put $300 "lease" fee - and that too can get only one.

And local HD channels too - which dish doesn't have for most places. Don't know about yours.

#8 OFFLINE   davidxlai

davidxlai

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

I really don't like Comcast. I used to use Comcast with a CableCARD setup. Some channels would fade in and out. They replaced 3 CableCARDs and could not fix the problem. And they are constantly raising their prices. I finally had enough and cut them off. Now I have only CBS in HD from LA (I am in the San Francisco Bay Area) for network stuff. I don't regret it. In a few weeks I should have my locals on HD.

Hello...
I'm new to the HD world... I just purchased a Panasonic 50" Plasma TV and I don't know which way to go.

I currently have standard Dish Network for viewing movies. I also have Comcast Cable which is used for viewing local channels regular TV. This all goes in to a Video Distribution Center that allows me to send this to various rooms.

I want to switch everything over to one or the other, but I am not sure which would provide a better picture on the Plasma TV.

Thanks...

Beanman222

#9 OFFLINE   foojay

foojay

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

Who has a better picture quality? Both E* and D* do no send the full HD signal, HD Lite is what I have heard it referred to. I do not know if Comcast does the same thing. Alot of Comcast's areas are broadcast all digital, so if we take that part out of the discussion who has the better picture quality?

#10 OFFLINE   foojay

foojay

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

Oh and the Moto boxes Comcast uses are plain horrible. All sorts of bugs from unresponsiveness, to audio dropouts and just an overall crappy interface.

#11 OFFLINE   nataraj

nataraj

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

Who has a better picture quality? Both E* and D* do no send the full HD signal, HD Lite is what I have heard it referred to. I do not know if Comcast does the same thing. Alot of Comcast's areas are broadcast all digital, so if we take that part out of the discussion who has the better picture quality?

From what I hear - Comcast. They send full HD (or whatever feed they get !) for both network and local HD. BTW, if you switch from dish (like I did a year back) you can get very good rates.

#12 OFFLINE   obermi

obermi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:10 PM

I switch from Cox Cable to E and have been very happy it! Lot more HD cannels with E. And better picture. Can have more DVR's with E than with cox. Cox one DVR per family.

#13 OFFLINE   foojay

foojay

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

From what I hear - Comcast. They send full HD (or whatever feed they get !) for both network and local HD. BTW, if you switch from dish (like I did a year back) you can get very good rates.

Yeah Comcast gives me $25 off a month b/c I was a Dish customer.

#14 OFFLINE   davidxlai

davidxlai

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

For how long?

Yeah Comcast gives me $25 off a month b/c I was a Dish customer.

#15 OFFLINE   foojay

foojay

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

For how long?

A year.

#16 OFFLINE   nataraj

nataraj

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

A year.

Thats the reason I'm getting back to dish now after a year of switching to comcast ;)

#17 OFFLINE   steelhorse

steelhorse

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:05 AM

I didn't think Comcast offered an HD DVR. They don't show one on the web site.

#18 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:42 AM

From what I hear - Comcast. They send full HD (or whatever feed they get !) for both network and local HD.

No they don't. They compressed the hell out of the NY HD feeds.

#19 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:02 AM

I didn't think Comcast offered an HD DVR. They don't show one on the web site.

I guess it depends on the area but I think most do. In our area, they have the Motorola 6412 which is a dual tuner HD DVR. There's also a single tuner version.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#20 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:03 AM

I would go find some of the comcast boards and also ask your question there so you can get both sides. Then do a pro and con comparison.

Asking this question on a DBS forum may get more pro dbs answers since people tend to suggest what they currently have.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

spam firewall