Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

HELP! Can't attach Y-bracket to arm on Dish 500!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Paul Michael Brown_*

Guest_Paul Michael Brown_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2002 - 08:49 PM

Hoping the installation mavens here can help this clueless newbie with an installation question.

I'm installing a Dish 500 with 2 DishPro single LNBs. While aiming the dish, I connected the LNBs to the Y-bracket and the Y-bracket to the arm using friction only. All was well. When it was time to connect everything in final form, I could not get the Y-bracket connected to the Dish 500 arm. I inserted the supplied screw from the bottom of the Y-bracket and connected it to the supplied bolt on top of the Y-bracket. But even with everything nice and tight, there is *LOTS* of play where the Y-bracket connects to the Dish 500 arm. So much play that I'm worried that the LNBs will flop around in a brisk wind. Even worse, I've fiddled with it so much now that the indentation in the plastic for the bolt on the top of the Y-bracket is stripped.

What am I doing wrong?

If it's not me, is there a homebrew method to connect the Y-bracket to the arm on a Dishb 500 so that it doesn't move around?

Paul Michael Brown
Washington, D.C.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 08:52 PM

Paul sent me an e-mail and I suggested he post the question here. I have no idea since I never installed any of my own dishes. I figure one of you do-it-yourselfers, dealers or installers might have some info to help him out.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 10:53 PM

Maybe if you tightened up the bolt some it would help it fit more snug and prevent it from having so much 'play' in it. It will still have some play which will not affect the signal strength that much, unless it has a great deal of play with it.

#4 OFFLINE   DishDude1

DishDude1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 11:25 PM

It's normal to have quite a bit of play between the arm and the Y adapter. You only need to "snug" the screws. Some seem to fit better than others, it seems E* has to different suppliers of dishes. Some of the arms have a shiny, smooth painted design (these fit better) Others have a rougher, dull texture to the paint and these have more play. I have not noticed any difference in signal quality or long term durability in either dish style.

BTW, I have installed 2-3 dish 500's 5-6 days a week since it came out in late 99.

#5 Guest_Paul Michael Brown, pmb@his.com_*

Guest_Paul Michael Brown, pmb@his.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:53 PM

Just wanted to let everybody know the end of the story. As it happened, no matter how much I tinkered with the connection between the Y bracket and the arm it was all wobbly. Moreover, I'm using Belden 7731A RG-11 cable with Snap N Seal SNS11AS connectors. (My cable run is nearly 200 feet and I'm using the DishPro 34 switch.) That's a very thick cable and a rather large connector and there's just not enough room inside the Y bracket. Grrr.

Decided to scrap the Dish 500 and go with a setup featuring three Dish 300s, each fitted with a single DishPro LNB. There is plenty of room inside the arm for the cable and the connector. Plus the LNB attaches directly to the arm using a very positive-fitting screw. Sure, it's probably overkill. But I was able to tweak each dish just so, using an Acutrac signal strength meter. (Great gadget, by the way. Responds instantly to even the tiniest tweak in azimuth or elevation.) Signal is 100+ on all three satellites here in Washington, DC.

One final technical note. When I connected the DishPro 34 switch to a Model 600 (using the DishPro adapter) and ran the check switch routine, I got a strange result. The 6000 thought I was using a SW64 and it showed six LNBs. Functionality was fine, but I called a tech rep who advised that the Model 600 software was written before the DishPro switches and LNBs were introduced. Therefore, the 6000 displays the closest configuration that it knows.

#6 OFFLINE   Bill D

Bill D

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 03:44 PM

I know the problem is solved but...
My 2 dual LNBF's also wobble a little, I haven't had any direct problems as a result. I also found out that thick RG-6 quad shield cable is very difficult to put though the arm. The same cable is also very tough to work with when using a SW 64 with a large enclosure box. But everything does work..

#7 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 04:14 PM

The more the throughbolt is tightened; the more the sheet steel arm is deformed. Take a large box wrench and widen the space between the holes of the sheet metal arm. Then, attach the plastic "Y" bracket but do not tighten the bolt and nut too tight. If you must tighten the bolt and nut really tight, go to the hardware store and get a 1/8" inner diameter nylon spacer 3/4" long. Put the bolt through hole of the lower "Y" bracket half, through the metal arm's lower hole (threading it through the nylon specer), then through the upper hole of the metal arm, and through the upper half of the plastic "y" bracket before putting the nut on the bolt. This way, there is internal support to prevent the upper and lower halves of the thin sheet metal from deforming under the pressure of the bolt. Tighten securely and the jount will not move up and down.
Manufacturer of Slimline adapter sleeves for 1-5/8 inch poles.

#8 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 04:36 PM

I have noticed where the plastic does tend to go inwards towards the screw in the center if you overtighten so I try not to overtighten mine. A little wobble has no difference in signal quality.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...