Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

811 Problems (Again)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:12 PM

Okay, I had both 811 receivers before leaving for the weekend on Friday. When I returned home Sunday night both worked fine. When my wife got up this morning (Monday) the same problem as before. I get Error message 002 and the receiver gets channel 229 iSHOP, but apparently no other satellite channels. The customer service employee runs me through the usual drill, but it is no help. When this happened last week I swapped locations and it seemed to have fixed the problem, albeit temporarily. I am thinking of getting some RG-6 and running the cable to the room where the other 811 is working fine to see if this corrects the probelm, rather than moving it. It is a nuisance to move my 811 receivers. Does anybody have any thoughts on what is going on here? When the check switch test is run it seems as if it is only seeing one satellite. The other interesting symptom is, like before, if I let to run its course on the "Acquiring Satellite Signal" routine it will eventually get to the point that it is going to download the program guide, but it will not download it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

Also, could it be that these problems are a result of software upgrades being downloaded? If so, if I disconnect the telephone line will that prevent it from getting the software upgrades? Also, I usually leave these plugged in, but turned OFF at the power switch. Would I be better off completely unplugging these at night?

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,038 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

Also, could it be that these problems are a result of software upgrades being downloaded?

Not likely.... in sysinfo... what is listed under your device configuration?

If so, if I disconnect the telephone line will that prevent it from getting the software upgrades?

No

Also, I usually leave these plugged in, but turned OFF at the power switch. Would I be better off completely unplugging these at night?

No, if your pull the power plug at night your Electronic Program Guide will not refresh. The only way you can prevent updates is to select "Ask permission" in the setup menu. However, this will not prevent the annoying reminder pop up window if your receiver is in target range for an upgrade, and also if the update is forced you will not be able to stop it from updating unless you pull the power and leave it off indefinitely. I do not recommend blocking updates as you would certainly miss out on something crucial.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:51 PM

Jason, thank you very much for the reply. This is sort of puzzling to me. Rather than switch locations tonight I decided to run a 50 foot "patch cord" of RG-6 from the "problem" 811 to the location where everything is working fine. I ran the check switch routine and everything is fine again. I can't for the life of me figure out why connecting it to the RG-6 feedline allows it to work correctly. I did, of course, return it to the correct RG-6 feedline and both are playing properly again. Does anybody have any thoughts on this. Obviously I could have swapped locations, but the way these are installed it is such a nuisance to move them back and forth.

#5 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

Jim, again, what is listed in your device config in sysinfo?

I can only guess, but going on the info you provided at this point, my guess is pointed at your switch or cables...not your 811. You should also verify the original feed lines are RG6 and not RG59. IMHO, your issue goes away by switching the feedline, I'd replace that line permanently.

#6 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

Jason,

System Info

Device: DPP-Twin

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:57 AM

Jim, Software P3.38, now spooling to phase 1, should fix your switch matrix issues. Users with DPP Twins SHOULD accept this update.

Regards,
Jason

#8 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:21 PM

Jason,

Again, thank you very much for the replies. The same issue again today on the same unit that I had this problem with this past weekend. I ran the 50 foot jumper cable and it solved the problem. So just to clarify, do you think that I should replace the feedline or the switch? Or is it possible that the software was the problem? I did check on both of these tonight and they both indicate that they are Software P3.38.

Jim

#9 OFFLINE   bhenge

bhenge

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

Jason,

Again, thank you very much for the replies. The same issue again today on the same unit that I had this problem with this past weekend. I ran the 50 foot jumper cable and it solved the problem. So just to clarify, do you think that I should replace the feedline or the switch? Or is it possible that the software was the problem? I did check on both of these tonight and they both indicate that they are Software P3.38.

Jim

Jim... if you ran check switch and the result said something to the effect of 'only one satellite' then the P3.38 software update is trying to fix that. I think the reason the problem temporarily corrected itself when you switched feedline cables was that by disconnecting the cable you removed power from the LNB which reset the LNB and allowed the DPP Twin switch to work for awhile. This problem usually occurred if you have more than one receiver and one of those was an 811. Unplugging one receiver failed to correct the problem because the 'other' receiver continued to power the LNB. To correct the issue without removing the feedline you would have to unplug all receivers, then plug them back in making sure the 811 was plugged in last (unless all receivers are 811's of course). Let's hope P3.38 corrects this.
======================
Beam a little microwave to me!

#10 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:29 AM

Interesting thing this morning. The 811 in the living room that my boys use gave me an error message this morning. Like in the past it seemed to go through the ckecks, but then would not dowload the guide. I did a check switch test and it could only "see" one satellite. This time I simply ulpugged the feedline from the other 811. I then ran the problem 811 through the paces and it again works fine. Does this mean that I might have a problem with a switch?

#11 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:38 AM

Interesting thing this morning. The 811 in the living room that my boys use gave me an error message this morning. Like in the past it seemed to go through the ckecks, but then would not download the guide. I did a check switch test and it could only "see" one satellite. This time I simply unplugged the feedline from the other 811. I then ran the problem 811 through the paces and it again works fine. Does this mean that I might have a problem with a switch?

Jim, PM me your phone number on account, and both sets of Receiver Id's CAIDs, and Smart Card Id's. Also I need the DNASP version listed on page 2 or 3 of the sys info screens. Also list the bootstrap version for each.

The also give me a number you can be contacted at during the day, I will pass your information along to the 811 team.

#12 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:54 AM

PM sent and thank you very much!

Jim

#13 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

The other interesting thing about this now is that the problem 811 shows SW64 and for satellites it lists input 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B with an X for the fifth and sixth position. The receiver without problems this morning still shows LNBs: DPP-Twin-2 LNB Ext: DP Feed with inputs 1, 2, 3 (NOT 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B).

#14 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:26 PM

Well, tonight I had another incident of the dreaded "No Info" bug. This, for me, is now as regular as clockwork about every 4-5 days. After this period, the EPG has exhausted itself of data and "No Info" appears in all slots. I am also not able to change the EPG (as it's frozen) or do anything except a soft re-boot. Any chance this will be addressed or will there even be any further software updates?

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#15 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:22 PM

The "No Info" bug continues daily for me now & re-booting is the only fix! Repeated calls to Dish accomplish nothing including conversations with the executive office. They continue to tell me this is not a known issue & have had no other complaints. Am I just "SOL" or does anyone know of any fix coming?
The 811 support forum seems to be pretty light these days on posts, so either noone else is having issues or those that are have given up and are just accepting things the way they are. Oh & moderators, please don't consider this bashing and move/delete my post, because I am honestly looking for an answer..

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#16 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

Been awhile since I've seen this issue Ken. I say pursue an exchange.

#17 OFFLINE   MINKIE479

MINKIE479

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

Hummm... Lets see 49.99 811 < 211 I paid extra and got the 622 now that they went down even more.

#18 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:58 PM

Point?

Take into consideration this is the support forum, not general forum.

Jason

#19 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:54 AM

Okay, I had that issue again this morning. It has been about a month, so I can't complain too much. As bhenge suggested, I unplugged the correctly operating 811 and then did a check switch routine on the problem 811. That took care of the problem. Now that I know that bhenge's diagnosis is correct, should I consider replacing any certain components of the system, or is this something that I just have to live with having two 811 receivers? I will probably upgrade to a 622 later this summer or early this fall, but I am hoping to hold off until then if I can.

#20 OFFLINE   bhenge

bhenge

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

Now that I know that bhenge's diagnosis is correct, should I consider replacing any certain components of the system, or is this something that I just have to live with having two 811 receivers? I will probably upgrade to a 622 later this summer or early this fall, but I am hoping to hold off until then if I can.

Glad I could help a bit Jim. I have had numerous discussions with 'advanced' tech support about this and they are convinced it is a fixable software issue and I am always told to wait until the 'next release'. 3 software releases later, the problem still exists (no bashing here, just fact). My guess is when my second 211 arrives and replaces my last 811, the problem will dissappear with it. One small clarification in your post is that this issue can occur with only one 811 in the system in combination with other receivers, it doesn't have to be an all 811 system (I have and 811 and 411 now and still have the problem).
======================
Beam a little microwave to me!

spam firewall