Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local reception and the 942

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

Update on my end: 942 was updated to L2.86, last night I scanned local channels, but local CBS affiliate still does not exist. 622 came in today. I set it up, software level is L3.56. Scanned local channels, same results. Fortunately, I can still watch CSI in HD since my TV has a tuner built in. For someone without a TV tuner, the 622 is even more limiting since it does not have the ability to receive NTSC OTA. Thus no reception of CBS here at all. :(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

I spoke with the local station engineer and he is forwarding all our information to Dish to get this resolved. The season is almost over and still no HD. :(

#23 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:38 AM

Of the 4 digital affiliates we can receive off air, the one in question happens to have the strongest signal per the info provided by the ATSC tuner built into my TV. The station engineer loaned me several attenuators to try on the antenna cable to see if too much signal was the problem. It was not.

I called DISH today and spoke with a CSR who initially "could not help" me. Her position was that since the OTA stations were free, they were not DISH's responsibility. I reminded her that the OTA was a selling feature of the 942; particularly since on the Charlie Chat they offer this as a solution for folks who have an HDTV without a tuner. I push this and stated that as a long time DISH customer I wasn't happy with that response after spending $$$ to get this receiver. She then connected me to someone who appeared to be her supervisor and after discussing the problem with him, he put her back on the line to collect some info about my receiver and it is to be forwarded to engineering with no promise of any results.

#24 OFFLINE   RocketNJ

RocketNJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:58 PM

Here's a thought.

Dish provides CBS-East HD on the satellite. Is it possible this is causing the conflict? Maybe that is why the OTA HD cannot display guide info?

Also here in NYC market my CBS shows in lower case while the other OTA HD channels show upper case.

Just a thought

#25 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

Alright guys I live in Iowa Park, 13 miles North of Wichita Falls. I have a 411 receiver and a 6000 receiver, and I do not get channel 6 either. This problem started in the middle of March and I know 2 other people in Iowa Park which have the same problem. It's hard to believe it's the receiver as the 6000 has had no updates in many months and it does not receive the station any longer.

If you want to receive channel 6, unplug your outside antennae and take a piece of coax and just plug in the copper wire only to the back of your receiver then you will receive it, but you will not be able to receive any other of the stations. I feel since my 6000 has the problem I beleive it's either with the station or somebody has but a cellular phone tower in wichita falls which is interferring with the signal because I am using a channel master 4248 antennae and I can pick up NBC and CBS out of Dallas every evening, I also pick up Sherman, Tx, CBS. All these stations are broadcasting in 1080I so I feel that Channel 6 has a problem and they just can't pin point it, so try what I said with the coax and see if it works for you. I reported this problem in March on the AVS Wichita Falls forum, I am glad to hear that people are now saying something about it.

Bill

#26 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:50 AM

Here's a thought.

Dish provides CBS-East HD on the satellite. Is it possible this is causing the conflict? Maybe that is why the OTA HD cannot display guide info?

Also here in NYC market my CBS shows in lower case while the other OTA HD channels show upper case.

Just a thought

Our problem here isn't the program guide, we just don't get the channel at all.

#27 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:33 AM

Alright guys I live in Iowa Park, 13 miles North of Wichita Falls. I have a 411 receiver and a 6000 receiver, and I do not get channel 6 either. This problem started in the middle of March and I know 2 other people in Iowa Park which have the same problem. It's hard to believe it's the receiver as the 6000 has had no updates in many months and it does not receive the station any longer.

Bill

If you are certain there were no updates to the sw on your receiver, then this does shed another light on the problem. Those of us who have been discusing this all noted the problem started in mid-March and we did have an update at that time. I was not initially aware of the update and cannot be certain this happened the first time I turned the receiver on after the update, so it may just be coincidence. In addition, since there seems to be a lack of reports about this issue outside of Wichita Falls, it seems this may be indeed a local issue. The only thing reason I have trouble believing this is a station issue or local interference is because when I connect the same antenna & cable to the ATSC tuner in my TV, that channel is fine. The same is true when I brought in the TV from my RV and connected the Hisense tuner I bought at Walmart to my house antenna. From my experience, it is only my 942 and 622 that that cannot get this station. We also know that the model 211 and 811 receivers don't receive Channel 6-1. An acquaintance with a DirectTivo HD receiver also gets Channel 6-1 without problem. With the little info we have so far, it appears to be some obscure configuration or coding issue between Channel 6 and DISH's software. Since this is only affecting DISH customers, the Chief Engineer at Channel 6 doesn't have much to explore on his end. My recommendation is to call DISH to report the problem and don't take no for an answer. Insist that they open a ticket and forward it to engineering. Only after they get a number of separate reports will it move to the front burner and get some attention. At that time they may be able to assist Channel 6 in discovering the cause of the problem.

#28 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

Gramps,
Let me clarify my post, my 6000 receives channel 6.1, with a reading of 85-90, but the bar is red not locked. My 411 receives 6.1 with a reading of 62-64, it locks the channel but the picture goes on and off.

I live in Iowa Park and my antennae is pointed 126 degrees (dead on) to the station/tower. I can get the station by pointing my antennae to 270 degrees and locking in, but then I do not get channel 3 or 18. If I'm on 270 degrees looking at the station with a reading/output of 62 I can turn my antennae back to the 126 degree location as my antennae is turning my signal will start going up to the high 90's for channel 6, and it will stay on the station until I switch channels and it will be gone again. I also know that the Allred Prison unit here in Iowa Park has frequency blockers, maybe somehow is causing the problem. Tony at Channel 6 said most of the problem seems to be centered in the Iowa Park/ Burkburnett area, also when Dish does an update on the receievers I do not beleive it updates over the air digital tuner as it is a separate unit. I'll be on later to check on the posts...thanks for your input. By the way I did read somewhere that Dish did change 1080I output recently, but I think this is if they are broadcasting local HD.

Bill

#29 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

Bill

I tried your workaround and it did not work for me. Have you called KAUZ to report the issue? If you haven't, give them a call and ask for Tony Guess. He is the chief engineer. He is compiling a list of people in the area that has the issue. So far everyone that has reported the issue has a Dish brand receiver.

However, since this is only happening in our area it very well could be the station. It just doesn't explain why every other receiver I have tried is not affected. I am not an engineer, but it almost sounds like Dish closed a hole in their software that KAUZ was using. Similar to Windows Security patches.

Either way, I expect Dish and KAUZ to work together to get this resolved. One more week til CSI season is done. :(

#30 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:03 AM

I tried your workaround and it did not work for me. Have you called KAUZ to report the issue? If you haven't, give them a call and ask for Tony Guess. He is the chief engineer. He is compiling a list of people in the area that has the issue. So far everyone that has reported the issue has a Dish brand receiver.

However, since this is only happening in our area it very well could be the station. It just doesn't explain why every other receiver I have tried is not affected. I am not an engineer, but it almost sounds like Dish closed a hole in their software that KAUZ was using. Similar to Windows Security patches.

Either way, I expect Dish and KAUZ to work together to get this resolved. One more week til CSI season is done. :(

Try the center lead only off the antennae, and see if that does not make the station come on for you, do not screw the coax onto the receiver.

Bill

#31 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:04 AM

Try the center leaf only and see if that does not make the station come on for you, do not screw the coax onto the receiver.

Bill

That's what I did. How long is the cable you are using? Mine is about 3ft.

#32 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:48 AM

Take your UHF remote antennae off the back of your receiver, and put it where your roooftop antennae is now, see if this will work. Your antennae should be pointing at channel 3 if you want to pick up the channel 6 digital. If you have it peeked out at 7.1 you will probably miss channel 6 as channel 3 and 6 antennae on Seymour Hwy and 7 and 18 are down near Randlett, there is almost 120 degree difference in location, if you need some help, just let me know I live in Iowa Park and would be glad to help you. I have worked on C-Band and off-air antennaes for many years, I do not do this for a living.

Bill

#33 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:37 AM

Take your UHF remote antennae off the back of your receiver, and put it where your roooftop antennae is now, see if this will work. Your antennae should be pointing at channel 3 if you want to pick up the channel 6 digital. If you have it peeked out at 7.1 you will probably miss channel 6 as channel 3 and 6 antennae on Seymour Hwy and 7 and 18 are down near Randlett, there is almost 120 degree difference in location, if you need some help, just let me know I live in Iowa Park and would be glad to help you. I have worked on C-Band and off-air antennaes for many years, I do not do this for a living.

Bill

Still no go. My signal was 0 when I did that. I hooked up my rooftop and it gave me 65 for a signal strength.

#34 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:58 AM

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It will be 2 months since I first started having the problems. I first reported it to the station on March 28, 2006, you would think they would have it fixed by now. The people down in DFW area are having the same problem with channel 8 digital, they either get it or they don't, and the station there apparently has done nothing about the problem, but now Dish has hooked them up over the air, and now thier stations are broadcast on the satellite.

Bill

#35 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It will be 2 months since I first started having the problems. I first reported it to the station on March 28, 2006, you would think they would have it fixed by now. The people down in DFW area are having the same problem with channel 8 digital, they either get it or they don't, and the station there apparently has done nothing about the problem, but now Dish has hooked them up over the air, and now thier stations are broadcast on the satellite.

Bill

I am about to throw in the towel here and by an HDTV tuner card for my computer. Don't know any other way to watch and record HD since Dish does not support their hardware. I don't know what else to do. The station says Dish, Dish says the station. The only group left to complain to is the FCC. This sounds like a conspiracy. "Can't get your local channels anymore? Then subscribe to them from us!"

#36 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:29 PM

Update!!!!

I made my weekly call to the station to see of there was any progress. Tony Guess, the chief engineer states that there is an issue with the alogorthim that decodes native 1080i and the Dish software. Also stated that the Dish development is working on the problem, but does not look like they are taking it too serious. He also told me that KERA, the Dallas PBS station is reporting the same issues as we are here. There isn't much we can do, but wait. Tony also stated that if a resolution wasn't reached in the near term the lawyers would have to get involved.

#37 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

Since we have not been able to resolve the issues on this forum, with the local station or Dish, I decided to take it to the next level. I issued a complaint at the FCC website http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html I encourage each of you who have this issue to do the same. Everybody seems to think this is the other guys problem to fix and we are left in the lurch.

#38 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:01 PM

Try the center lead only off the antennae, and see if that does not make the station come on for you, do not screw the coax onto the receiver. Bill

I'm about at the end of the rope. I tried this, but get nothing. I'm in Burk so I'm about the same distance from Ch6 as you. The CE at Ch6 loaned me some attenuators to try, and they didn't help either.

#39 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:36 PM

My 942 is in a box, UPS label and all... The 622 is installed and guess what? The new receiver has the identical problem as the 942. Cannot get the local CBS affiliate HD OTA.

I was back on the phone with DISH again tonight. I think they sent me to the "back office" this time. The person I spoke with did acknowledge there is a problem ticket open with reception issues for this station, but it has been open since the 18th of March! I tried to get her to escalate the issue, but she could or would not. I then sent what I consider to be a tactful email to customer service. I must agree with [B]ebeeks[B], we're stuck in the middle and I know DISH isn't going to give me my money back. If I don't see some progress soon, I'll send a registered letter to Mr. Ergen. Should that fail, what other choice is there but to file a complaint with the BBB and/or the FCC? All we're asking is for DISH and the TV station to get together and figure out what went wrong 2 months ago and implement a solution.

There are two related shortfalls with the 622: It does not have an NTSC tuner like the 942 did. For someone with an "HD Ready" TV using a 622 as their tuner for OTA programming, they will not be able to get CBS in this market unless they subscribe to the satellite locals. The 2nd half of this really surprised me. The video produced by the satellite locals (digital?) is inferior to what I was getting with the NTSC tuner in the 942 and my rooftop antenna (analog!). :( On the plus side, the additional HD satellite channels available on the 622 produce astounding video. I assume most of this programming was HD from the start, no interpolation or upconverting.

#40 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:34 AM

Should that fail, what other choice is there but to file a complaint with the BBB and/or the FCC?

While I understand your frustration, I do not see where getting the FCC involved would help. Dish is under no obligation whatsoever to provide OTA reception. It is an added convenience that works well for the vast majority of us.

If someone builds a website that works on Mozilla (Firefox) but somehow will not display properly on Internet Explorer, is it Microsoft's problem the code was written incorrectly? No. Same with this station. It is clearly a problem with their coding that they need to fix, not Dish.

spam firewall