Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local reception and the 942

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:59 AM

While I understand your frustration, I do not see where getting the FCC involved would help. Dish is under no obligation whatsoever to provide OTA reception. It is an added convenience that works well for the vast majority of us.

If someone builds a website that works on Mozilla (Firefox) but somehow will not display properly on Internet Explorer, is it Microsoft's problem the code was written incorrectly? No. Same with this station. It is clearly a problem with their coding that they need to fix, not Dish.

The problem is that it worked prior to the update Dish downloaded in March. The OTA receiver was a selling point for buying the receiver. Don't think for a minute you didn't pay for it. Plus it doesn't work unless you subscribe to Dish programming.

The reason I filed a complaint with the FCC was that neither party is very interested in repairing the problem. The only way I can receive CBSHD is to buy additional hardware when I should not have to.

This is a difficult situation to troubleshoot. Every other branded HDtuner on the market works fine with the local broadcast, only Dish branded receivers are affected. This makes one beleive the problem lies with Dish. At one point this was the only station affected. However, through my investigations I have found that KERA out of Dallas is experiencing the same issue and some stations in Denver as well.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:24 PM

...Dish is under no obligation whatsoever to provide OTA reception...

My comment re: the FCC was in response to ebeeks earlier post; personally I feel that the BBB is the next course should other routes to DISH fail to produce a resolution.

As I see it, the problem is that when DISH elected to include an ATSC tuner into their satellite receiver and advertised it as a solution to customers with HD Ready sets, so that the customer would not require the purchase of a separate tuner, they entered into an agreement, if not an implied contract. In addition, to get the EPG for the OTA channels, DISH requires a separate subscription to the satellite locals. I don't understand why someone might feel I'm not paying DISH so that I can receive the local HD channels. If we were in a fringe area, it could be argued that DISH cannot guarantee reception. I can assure you, this is not the case here.

Had the 942 I purchased directly from DISH not delivered on the OTA when it was installed, I could have returned it, skipped the additional monthly fee for the EPG, got a refund and been on my way. But months later, it appears that when software updates were downloaded, it unintentionally broke something that was working, something that we were and still are paying for. There are sometimes unintended consequences with any change. Some at DISH have admitted this problem has been documented, and that it has existed for over 2 months, but cannot say if, or when it will ever get fixed.

...It is clearly a problem with their coding that they need to fix, not Dish...

It is absolute fact that a Sony TV with a built-in ATSC tuner and an inexpensive Hisense ATSC set-top tuner both receive this station off the same antenna in my attic with excellent signal strength. I have both a 942 and now a 622, and neither will synchronize with this one channel at all. It is hard for me to come to the conclusion that this is not DISH's problem. I will agree that since we are not seeing others on the forum reporting the same problem in different markets, it is possibly some incompatibility in the data stream from the station that does not affect other brands of tuners.

All we are asking is for the engineers at DISH to get on a conference call with the local CBS affiliate to analyze what is wrong and fix it so that it works as it did before the mid-March update.

#43 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:09 PM

Downloaded L287 and the problem still exists. I also called Dish again this week and they filed another "special report" Still waiting for a resolution. :(

#44 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:12 AM

Try this, switch your lead from your off air antenna in, to the antenna output, and see if you do not get channel 6. Let me know!!

Bill

#45 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

Try this, switch your lead from your off air antenna in, to the antenna output, and see if you do not get channel 6. Let me know!!

Bill

No change. Also, my other local channels disappeared when I tried it.

#46 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

While I understand your frustration, I do not see where getting the FCC involved would help. Dish is under no obligation whatsoever to provide OTA reception. It is an added convenience that works well for the vast majority of us.

You don't think that the FCC has standing in the design, operation, and ATSC implementation with TV tuners?:rolleyes:

Wait 'til FOX starts selling low-cost STB's that coincidentally don't receive ABC. :lol:

#47 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:05 AM

You don't think that the FCC has standing in the design, operation, and ATSC implementation with TV tuners?:rolleyes:

You really think the FCC gives a rat's behind whether on not the OTA tuner in Dish's SATELLITE receiver box is any good? Don't hold your breadth waiting for the government to declare Dish in violation of FCC regs because it's tuner is not the best.

#48 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:57 AM

You really think the FCC gives a rat's behind whether on not the OTA tuner in Dish's SATELLITE receiver box is any good? Don't hold your breadth waiting for the government to declare Dish in violation of FCC regs because it's tuner is not the best.

So, given one is dissatisfied with performance of the tuner for one OTA station, who would you suggest be contacted.

Oh, Joisey boy, you didn't answer my question. :rolleyes:

#49 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

So, given one is dissatisfied with performance of the tuner for one OTA station, who would you suggest be contacted.

Oh, Joisey boy, you didn't answer my question. :rolleyes:

I would suggest continuing to bug the station, as it is more than likely a coding problem. If that fails, then by all means complain to the FCC....about the station.

BTW....here in Joisey, all of our OTA stations work perfectly with the 942. I can pick up every station at 35 miles with a little RadioShack settop antenna. That's why I take complaints about crappy 942 tuners with a grain of salt.

#50 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

The FCC is involved in setting the standards for ATSC broadcast signals. Regarding end-user hardware...the FCC's regs are limited to the usual standards of acceptable emissions and the need to accept certain interference signals. There is no Qualitative mandate. Some radios receive signals great....some suck. Not an FCC issue.

Now your example of a tuner that "coincidentally" does not accept a certain network's signals is a different story.

#51 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:16 AM

For those of you have been saying the FCC has no jurisdiction here, you are correct. I heard back on my complaint yesterday and they do not concern themselves with regualting the manufacture of Sattelite hardware or other STB. However, they did say that the FTC would handle cases like this.

I don't think I want to take it any further. It will either eventually work itself out or I will find other shows to watch. After all my investigation I am leaning more to the way the station encodes their signal vs. the way Dish decodes it. So long CBS:(

#52 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:38 AM

Since I traded in my 942 for a 622 and this problem persisted with the newer model, I had hopes that DISH and the local affiliate would work together to find a resolution. If there is something going on in the background, they aren't sharing it with us. I've been watching this forum and looking for other forums for other individuals seeing this problem. The absence of other DISH subscribers in other cities having OTA HD issues like this seems to put the focus back on our local CBS affiliate. For now the reality seems to be that Wichita Falls is a smaller market, OTA HD is very small slice of the pie here and since is is only DISH customers here who see the problem, there is no pressure on the affiliate to take any action for a handful of viewers.

#53 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

Since I traded in my 942 for a 622 and this problem persisted with the newer model, I had hopes that DISH and the local affiliate would work together to find a resolution. If there is something going on in the background, they aren't sharing it with us. I've been watching this forum and looking for other forums for other individuals seeing this problem. The absence of other DISH subscribers in other cities having OTA HD issues like this seems to put the focus back on our local CBS affiliate. For now the reality seems to be that Wichita Falls is a smaller market, OTA HD is very small slice of the pie here and since is is only DISH customers here who see the problem, there is no pressure on the affiliate to take any action for a handful of viewers.

We are the minority.

#54 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

Well I think I will send a letter to Kyle Williams the station manager tomorrow. I have a feeling he probably doesn't know whats going on.

I received an e-mail from AVS forum today, channel 7-ABC is going full power starting Friday night on thier channel 11 digital. I also talked to a technician in Dallas last week, he said either the settings are wrong at the station or another station is overpowering thier signal.

#55 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

Well I think I will send a letter to Kyle Williams the station manager tomorrow. I have a feeling he probably doesn't know whats going on.

I received an e-mail from AVS forum today, channel 7-ABC is going full power starting Friday night on thier channel 11 digital. I also talked to a technician in Dallas last week, he said either the settings are wrong at the station or another station is overpowering thier signal.

Do you have a link about ABC?

#56 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

ebeeks Try CBS and see if is working.

#57 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:01 AM

ebeeks Try CBS and see if is working.

Still nothing only 68 signal strength. Did something change?

#58 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:37 AM

I cannot beleive it, but for the first time since March 15, I now can receive KAUZ CBS 6.1 in the Wichita Falls, Tx area. I hope this has fixed the problem with the 942, and 211, 411 and 622 as we all have been having a lot of problems.

Bill

#59 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

I cannot beleive it, but for the first time since March 15, I now can receive KAUZ CBS 6.1 in the Wichita Falls, Tx area. I hope this has fixed the problem with the 942, and 211, 411 and 622 as we all have been having a lot of problems.

Bill

Did you do anything different?

#60 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:13 AM

I didn't do anyhting different. Your welcome to try my 211 on your system if you like. You can e-mail me privately if you would like to do that.

williammillar560@msn.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...