Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local reception and the 942

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:44 AM

I didn't do anyhting different. Your welcome to try my 211 on your system if you like. You can e-mail me privately if you would like to do that.

williammillar560@msn.com

Ok, I rescanned channels last night and it came back. The signal strength is still 68, but now the signal is watchable. However, none of the material was in HD. It was just the digital transmission. Not back to where we were, but it is progress. Knowing that Dish has not donw anything to their receivers I now know it is defeintely an issue with the local station. I guess its time to upgrade to the 622.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

Having given up on Channel 6-1, I accidentally tuned it in this afternoon and it's back! As ebeeks noted, it's not HD, just a digital program, at least programming that is on this afternoon. Color seems to be heavy on red, and signal strength as the 622 sees it is 81 in Burkburnett. Even if they took a step backwards, it's progress! I'm anxious to see what happens this evening when they typically carry the HD material.

#63 OFFLINE   William Millar

William Millar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

Gramps one reason you may be getting it is because thier only broadcasting at 60% power right now due to equipment failure, when thier at full power they may be overloading our receivers. They are broadcasting in HD-TV when there is a program available. The only problem I see happening now is that they are broadcasting an HD program and when they go to a commercial and they forget to turn the HD back on,and you have to wait for another commercial and then they may remember. Also they are not broadcasting in wide screen unless it's a HD program.

Bill

#64 OFFLINE   Gramps

Gramps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:54 AM

Gramps one reason you may be getting it is because thier only broadcasting at 60% power right now due to equipment failure

When Cold Case came on last night, it was in HD full screen. Noticed some minor pixelation, but otherwise programming appeared normal. The colors appeared normal also, so it may have been the network feed they were broadcasting earlier in the day that had the red cast. If they are not a full power now and go back to it when the repairs have been made, it might be more than simply overloading as the CE at the station had loaned me a number of attenuators to try inline with my antenna. They only served to kill the reception of the other stations as expected but with no change for Channel 6.

#65 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:36 AM

I watched about 15 minuites of without a trace and I noticed the same pixellation and a few frame dropouts. Signal Strength is up to 81 now.

#66 OFFLINE   bcnvc

bcnvc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:35 AM

I live 60 miles west of St. Louis with a 30' mast and a booster the reception is very good but at such a low signal I lost the picture.

Does the Release Notes affect the local HD reception?
The reason I ask is for at least a 2 weeks or more the signal strength has dropped and the picture loses the signal no picture. I was at 85-95% at least on NBC now I am at 65-68% , CBS was at 70-80% now at 95%, FOX is at a constant (this did not change) 95%, KPLR is at (this did not change)70%, ABC is at (this did not change)75%. I hope this is enough info.

Bill
Thanks
Bill
942 DVR,42 Plasma HD Viore,Sony STR-D1011,Sony CPD-CX230,RCA DVD,Quasar VHS,Fisher XP 7, Bose & DCM Speakers, Dual 1219 that still works

#67 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:04 PM

I live 60 miles west of St. Louis with a 30' mast and a booster the reception is very good but at such a low signal I lost the picture.

The reason I ask is for at least a 2 weeks or more the signal strength has dropped and the picture loses the signal no picture. ...

Bill,

I realize it is not the start of the growing season, but any chance the reduced reception is due to tree/leaf growth?

#68 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:33 AM

The reason I ask is for at least a 2 weeks or more the signal strength has dropped and the picture loses the signal no picture. I was at 85-95% at least on NBC now I am at 65-68% , CBS was at 70-80% now at 95%, FOX is at a constant (this did not change) 95%, KPLR is at (this did not change)70%, ABC is at (this did not change)75%. I hope this is enough info.

Bill

According to Dish the software upgrades do not affect the OTA tuners. After careful trouble shooting our earlier thoughts about this being a Dish caused problem were incorrect. The problem happened for us right when Dish downloaded an update and casued us to be lieve that Dish caused the issue. However, the signal came back and Dish did nothing. It was only related to one station in town and all the other stations were operating as usual.

#69 OFFLINE   bcnvc

bcnvc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

Bill,

I realize it is not the start of the growing season, but any chance the reduced reception is due to tree/leaf growth?

No the trees were in full growth while this happened.
Bill
Thanks
Bill
942 DVR,42 Plasma HD Viore,Sony STR-D1011,Sony CPD-CX230,RCA DVD,Quasar VHS,Fisher XP 7, Bose & DCM Speakers, Dual 1219 that still works

#70 OFFLINE   Kenpo Addict

Kenpo Addict

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:24 PM

Howdy,

I have a 942 and after reading most of the problems ya’ll seem to be having it sounds very familiar. I have never since day 1 been able to pick up HD Fox 4 on my system. I get 5, 8, 11, 21, and 33 all in HD with my antenna (Ghost killer) at around 70 to 80 signal. I live about 26 miles SE of Dallas in Forney TX now if I remove the antenna and just plug in rabbit ears I get Fox in HD but nothing else. Is this a problem Dish has with the receiver? I also have a standard two tuner box (I think the 311) that every time I change the channel I have to run the check switch then it works fine again until I change the channel. I am working with DN to get that fixed.

#71 OFFLINE   ebeeks

ebeeks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

Howdy,

I have a 942 and after reading most of the problems ya’ll seem to be having it sounds very familiar. I have never since day 1 been able to pick up HD Fox 4 on my system. I get 5, 8, 11, 21, and 33 all in HD with my antenna (Ghost killer) at around 70 to 80 signal. I live about 26 miles SE of Dallas in Forney TX now if I remove the antenna and just plug in rabbit ears I get Fox in HD but nothing else. Is this a problem Dish has with the receiver? I also have a standard two tuner box (I think the 311) that every time I change the channel I have to run the check switch then it works fine again until I change the channel. I am working with DN to get that fixed.

Have you been able to tune in the Fox channel on another tuner with the same antenna? We knew we had a problem when we could get it on other tuners in the same location with the same antenna. It had something to do with 1080i encoding from the station.

Also, is your antenna directional? It could be that your stations are not all transmitting from the same direction and the non-directional rabbit ears can pick it up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...