Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 Recording Options - 2nd Receiver Needed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CleanDen

CleanDen

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:09 AM

I currently have a 921 which I am due to have replaced with a 622 in about a month. I also have a 510.

I wouldn't say I am a constant TV watcher but I do make good use of the dual tuners on the 921 and often wish I had dual tuners on the 510.

I am a little shaky on how Single and Dual mode users affect each other and on watching something previously recorded and wanted to clarify some points.

I believe the 622 has 2 satellite inputs plus 1 antenna input, which would also mean (I think) that you could watch/record up to 2 satellite plus 1 antenna channels at any time.

Here's how I think it works but the additional antenna input thing is throwing me for a loop...

Single Mode:
TV1 can watch 1 live channel while recording another
TV2 can watch the same live channel (or the channel being recorded?)
How does the antenna fit into this?

Dual Mode:
TV1 can watch and/or record 1 channel
TV2 can watch and/or record a 2nd channel
What if one person wanted to record a satellite channel while watching an antenna channel?

Can someone explain the watching/recording permutations for the 622 in plain English so I can best decide whether I need to keep the 510 or retire it and save $10.98/month?

Thanks!

Alex

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

I never run in single mode so I don't know the details of that, but I think of single mode as being used by only 1 TV. In single mode you can use PIP and swap between the tuners. As far as I know you can still record 3 programs in single mode.

In dual mode on TV1 you can watch either a sat channel or OTA channel. You can record on the other tuners you are not watching. Or you can record on all three tuners and watch a recorded program. Someone on TV2 can watch independent programming using the TV2 sat tuner or a recorded program. TV2 can not use the OTA tuner. TV2 can also be used to view the same programming that is being watched on TV1. I set up all my timers from TV1 but have the TV2 tuner set as the default. The 622 will automatically select the tuner to be used for a recording.

So, basically you can mix and match the tuners with watching or recording as you need with the exception of using the OTA tuner from TV2.

#3 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

also remember, that when in Dual mode, both TV1 and TV2 are fed out the coax modulator, so thet person at tV 2 has the option of using TV2's tuner to watch whatever, or change the tv channel to the TV1 output channel, and watch what tv1 is viewing.

And either location can watch anything previously recorded.
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#4 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:22 AM

Single Mode:
TV1 can watch 1 live channel while recording another
TV2 can watch the same live channel (or the channel being recorded?)
How does the antenna fit into this?

Dual Mode:
TV1 can watch and/or record 1 channel
TV2 can watch and/or record a 2nd channel
What if one person wanted to record a satellite channel while watching an antenna channel?

Alex[/QUOTE]

The third receiver must be connected to a OTA antenna. Once you do that you will be able to record 3 shows at the same time, or watch one and/or record 2 shows.

You have 2 inputs coming into the two separate tuners on your 622 from the Dish, You also have a third input connected to your (OTA tuner) coming from the OTA antenna, In order for OTA to work, you must insure that you get OTA signal where you live.

I think your may be confused with terminology. on Single mode you only have one TV as an output, but you have 3 inputs (2 Dish and 1 OTA) with Dual Mode you have the same 3 inputs, but you can have 2 separate outputs a second TV (or device such as DVD recorder) connected

Therefore

Single Mode:
TV1 can watch 1 live channel while recording one show on OTA and 1 on the second tuner. Or record on all 3 and watch them later. or watch 1 satellite show and record 1 of satellite and 1 of OTA.
TV2 not enabled.

Dual Mode:
Same as Single Mode, except that now you have a second output TV connected which can control recordings and viewing with the second remote control.

What if one person wanted to record a satellite channel while watching an antenna channel? Not a problem...the tuners are independent
DVR 622 , DVR 510, HDTV 811
Satelites: 110,119,148,129 Switch 44

#5 OFFLINE   CleanDen

CleanDen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:41 AM

Here are some more scenarios playing in my mind regarding how streams are broadcast between locations.

If TV2 wants to watch a PVRd show, could TV1 also watch a PVRd show while recording upto 1 x OTA + 2 x Satellite?

If TV2 wants to watch live TV, could TV1 be playing a recorded show while also recording upto 1 x OTA + 1 x Satellite?

#6 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

Yes and Yes.

#7 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

That is the nice thing about it

TV1 and TV2 are totally independent as if they were 2 separate receivers connected to 2 separate TV...! NICE ...!

#8 OFFLINE   CleanDen

CleanDen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

Yes and Yes.

And could TV1 and TV2 both be watching different PVRd shows while recording 1 x OTA + 2 x Satellite?

This is quite mind-boggling for me - I guess it'll all make sense once I play with it :sure:

#9 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

Yes

#10 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

And could TV1 and TV2 both be watching different PVRd shows while recording 1 x OTA + 2 x Satellite?

So they say. I have not done it but it should work. Just think of it as three independent tuners that can either be displaying a program or recording a program. It's that simple. And also remember that viewing a recorded program does not require a tuner and you can come up with all the combinations.

#11 OFFLINE   CleanDen

CleanDen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

Gotcha. This sounds awesome!

I think that settles it - I see no need for the additional receiver. I'll either keep it as a backup or sell it on eBay.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Alex

Protected By... spam firewall...And...