Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Poll on how often does your 622 reboot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Poll: How often does your 622 reboot on an average? (114 member(s) have cast votes)

How often does your 622 reboot on an average?

1. 0 times per Day (71 votes [62.28%])

Percentage of vote: 62.28%

2. Less than once per day. (27 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

3. 2 - 5 times per day. (10 votes [8.77%])

Percentage of vote: 8.77%

4. Over 5 times per day. (2 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

5. I have no idea how many times it reboots. (4 votes [3.51%])

Percentage of vote: 3.51%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:06 AM

This is not exactly accurate but I figured getting a poll out might give a since in terms of numbers.

There is a counter in the diagnostics that counts the number of times it reboots. (This might include the finger power reset but I am not sure). You can get this by going to ... Menu->6->3 and selecting counters. It is counter number #5 (AC PWR/HW WD counter). The difference between my stable box and my unstable box in this count and counter three is huge.

With my old box the count was at 48 and i have had it 12 days so the average would have been 4 times per day.

So chime in and vote in the poll. What is your average per day for this counter #5(AC PWR/HW WD counter).

To do the math:

(AC PWR/HW WD counter #5)/number of days since activation.

Thanks Moman19 for the counter number correction
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:15 PM

622 installed 4/5/06 Counter shows 4 so 4/15 = .26 per day.

My 622 has never rebooted by itself, these were all power plug or power button reboots by me. Once for loss of video, once for loss of audio and twice for loss of closed captioning.

Chan

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:23 PM

I believe, need to confirm, but a power button reboot will not increment the count. Maybe someone can confirm this. Not sure what a power cord reboot will do. I guess my main concern (Based on my box that is going RA), is when the box wedges or spontaneously reboots. Which a number of people are reporting. Figured putting a number to it provides some data point.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:36 PM

With the current software version both my 622's reset much less frequently and at about less than once per day not counting the automatic reset that is scheduled.

On occasion, I do a power button reset when the picture gets jerky/robotic or other reported bugs surface. This may reduce the actual number of resets that the 622 otherwise might have happened.

I just checked #5 in Diagnostic Tests. On version "A" 27, on version "B" 8. Version "A" gets more use than Version "B."

#5 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:46 PM

I believe, need to confirm, but a power button reboot will not increment the count. Maybe someone can confirm this. Not sure what a power cord reboot will do. I guess my main concern (Based on my box that is going RA), is when the box wedges or spontaneously reboots. Which a number of people are reporting. Figured putting a number to it provides some data point.

Well I guess my comments won't help except to tell you that mine does not reboot by itself. At least it has not while I was watching.

You got my curiosity up. I power button rebooted, it did not count. I then pulled the plug, it did count, I'm up to 5 now. I may have rebooted intentionally more than the 5 times, it's just that that is what I can remember doing! :-)

Chan

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

Thanks Gravel. I figured it was that way but was not sure... Thanks for doing the leg work.

#7 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

The first one rebooted 1 to 4 times daily. The replacement has not rebooted in the 2 1/2 weeks I've had it (knock on wood).

#8 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:41 PM

The first one rebooted 1 to 4 times daily. The replacement has not rebooted in the 2 1/2 weeks I've had it (knock on wood).

Same here...MY old 622 model C rebooted 5 to 6 times during prime time (3 to 4 Hours. my new one a model D has not reboot during prime time once.
DVR 622 , DVR 510, HDTV 811
Satelites: 110,119,148,129 Switch 44

#9 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

Mine is 2/5 = .4. I just got it Saturday and the count was 2.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#10 OFFLINE   obermi

obermi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:56 PM

I'm new to this VIP622. I have had it for about three weeks. What is causing this problem? Mine has rebooted 3 times in a six hour period several times. Should I just deal with it or call it in?

#11 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

I'm new to this VIP622. I have had it for about three weeks. What is causing this problem? Mine has rebooted 3 times in a six hour period several times. Should I just deal with it or call it in?

Some 622's have a severe reset problem. If your continually resets, you should contact E* and report it to them. Chances are they will swap yours for one that works right.

#12 OFFLINE   obermi

obermi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

Some 622's have a severe reset problem. If your continually resets, you should contact E* and report it to them. Chances are they will swap yours for one that works right.

Thanks!

#13 OFFLINE   netbob

netbob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

Mine has rebooted itself 3 times that I saw. The count is 5 and I have had it since 03/14. This week it has booted itself 2 times under heavy usage. I does it when it is on all day viewing SD and HD plus multiple recordings. :confused:

#14 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:36 PM

With these results, albeit a small sample, I think it is clear that there is probably either a small amount of defective machines, or that users are creating situation with unventelated boxes, weak signals, or some other unusual setup or usage that is causing such problems.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#15 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:48 AM

Mine has never rebooted.

#16 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:59 AM

Uhh, no option for once daily?
Model 622, replaced once by DISH in Feb., 2006

Software L635
Dual mode

OTAs via large antenna in attic
Panasonic 42" plasma industrial grade monitor
Component video via Audio Authority AA1154A component switcher
Toslink switched/converted to coax via AA1554A
Bose Lifestyle 20 using coax digital audio

#17 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:51 AM

With these results, albeit a small sample, I think it is clear that there is probably either a small amount of defective machines, or that users are creating situation with unventelated boxes, weak signals, or some other unusual setup or usage that is causing such problems.

It would be interesting to hear from those experiencing many re-boots as to whether their unit is inside a cabinet. And, from those that have successfully replaced a unit with this problem, was the replacement installed in the same location.

#18 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:34 AM

It would be interesting to hear from those experiencing many re-boots as to whether their unit is inside a cabinet. And, from those that have successfully replaced a unit with this problem, was the replacement installed in the same location.

For sure. Statistically 3 people saying it reboots multiple times a day of 40 something reports isn't quite to the 10% ratio that I would guess Dish would consider worth worrying about. They just send out "replacements" to those who complain and hope that the software updates address issues in the meantime.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#19 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

Uhh, no option for once daily?

Does look like I missed that one. I would mark people with 1 to 2 per day to make less than 1. I new something was missing.

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:19 AM

Well I am one that had the multiple reboot issue and my box fell into the 2 to 5. I had the box in multiple locations. Both were cabinet but one was open front with a good foot and half of space all around.

I got my replacement on Wednesday and I have not seen any rebooting issues with the replacement. I plan on reporting back after I had a weekend to make sure a swap out worked, but from what I can see it has.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...