Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network with no phone line?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 01:17 PM

I don't think it needs to be connected at the moment of oedering. Tht, I believe, is all accomplished by satellite. It is only the dump from the card to DISh that si by phone line.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Cardini
The disadvantage to not being able to connect a line is that you wont be able to get SW upgrades to the reciever.

Is this true?

#23 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 August 2002 - 01:28 PM

Cardini - you do NOT have to have the phoneline connected to get S/W updates. It has been my experiance (and several others on this same thread, if you would go back and READ) that this is the case. All you will loose with no phoneline are
#1 - Remote ordering of PPV events
#2 - The new DishInteractive applications beginning to spool out on the OpenTV capable models.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#24 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 03:20 PM

What if you have a receiver(s) at a second home or cabin (vacation home) when they ask you to read off the location id's?

#25 OFFLINE   Tony S

Tony S

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:05 AM

I agree with what most of the others have stated. I have had Echostar for 4 or 5 years now, and I have never had any of my receivers connected to the phone line. This has never been a problem at all.

Jacob S, On past Charlie Chats, Charlie himself has said that it is OK to bring your receiver to a second home (vacation home), so I don't think that there would be any problem with the location IDs.

#26 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:23 AM

The only reason I have my phone line connected to my 501 is so I can get caller ID on the tv screen. It's really cool.

#27 OFFLINE   Cardini

Cardini

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:11 AM

Originally posted by scooper
Cardini - you do NOT have to have the phoneline connected to get S/W updates. It has been my experiance (and several others on this same thread, if you would go back and READ) that this is the case. All you will loose with no phoneline are
#1 - Remote ordering of PPV events
#2 - The new DishInteractive applications beginning to spool out on the OpenTV capable models.

Well, I did READ the thread before replying, but thanks for suggesting it. And I do realize that the upgrades are SENT down via sattelite. But, my understanding was that the receiver won't accept the upgrade without a phone line check. This may be wrong info, but thats the info I was given by 2 installers. Could it be that different recievers handle this differently?

#28 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:13 AM

It possibly varies by receiver but I have ordered with my phone line either not plugged in or the phone in use (no dail tone) with no problems.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#29 OFFLINE   Tony S

Tony S

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:15 AM

Cardini, Those installers gave you bad information. You do not need to have the phone line installed in order to get software upgrades. This is true for all of the receivers.

#30 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 10:16 AM

Cardini-My receiver now has Dish Home. This was a software upgrade completed without having the receiver hooked to a phone line.

#31 OFFLINE   ElJefe

ElJefe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 11:09 AM

Actually, the location ID changes quite often, on my receiver anyway.

#32 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 12:37 PM

Didn't know that...edited my previous post. Is the purpose of the location ID intended to verify receivers' locations then ?

#33 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 01:18 PM

The only purposes for phone line connection is for ppv movie downloads, dish home customer support, playing games against other dish network customers (in the future), and other dish home support, and for internet access (for those pvr units that support that).

#34 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 01:25 PM

Also I am wanting to ask if one would leave some of the receivers at one of the customer's homes, and then leave some of the receivers at the second home, so that way they do not get damaged (such as the hard drive pvr receivers) or so that way they do not have to go through the hassle of having to bring the receivers back and forth.

Does the customer have to take the receivers back and forth or can they keep some of them at the other location? What about the phone line connection at the other location being a different phone number? Most of them do not have a phone at the second home because they do not want to pay extra utilities that they do not need (or have a cell phone) but every once in a while a customer will have a phone at that location as well because some of the homes are seasonal homes. Some just stay in a camper and run a wire from the neighboring house which might already have Dish if relatives would live next door and someone was to spend time with their relatives at their second home.

#35 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Jacob S
Also I am wanting to ask if one would leave some of the receivers at one of the customer's homes, and then leave some of the receivers at the second home, so that way they do not get damaged (such as the hard drive pvr receivers) or so that way they do not have to go through the hassle of having to bring the receivers back and forth.

Does the customer have to take the receivers back and forth or can they keep some of them at the other location? What about the phone line connection at the other location being a different phone number? ...but every once in a while a customer will have a phone at that location as well because some of the homes are seasonal homes.

It would not be very smart for a cust to connect a rcvr to a phone line at a vacation home because, technically, the rcvr is not supposed to be there. He is supposed to have a separate acct for each residence and put the one he isn't using into a seasonal downgrade mode.

Of course, this isn't practical for weekend cabins & the like. But for weekends there shouldn't need to be a phone hook-up. Even if you order some PPVs you can take the rcvr home to hook-up for uploading the PPV charges. ;)
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#36 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 11:04 PM

Hmmm, never thought about that, the customer should not need a phone line connection anyways, should just wait to have them downloaded when he gets back to his first home. A person could put a second phone number on the count as well like they can put a second address, right?

#37 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 11:22 PM

You might want to check with the phone company. Besides their usual "unlimited" local calls dial tone service, they usually also offer cheaper dial tone where you are charged if you exceed a certain number of minutes. If I recall, these cheap lines can be around only $10 a month.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#38 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 11:52 PM

I have seen them for $6 a month for access then charge by the minute. Good for receiving incoming calls and for those that do not call out much at all, and just pay for all local or long distance calls. I believe its $15 for unlimited local within the own exchange here. There is an additional $5 fee for the Universal fund charge, and all the other etc. charges.

Does dish allow you to add a second home phone number for like the second home to the account? I know that they have been asking for the work phone number as well. How about the physical address? Can you have two on one account if the customer has a second home or a seasonal home? How about those that have truck driving jobs where they may have two or three homes or campers where they go one place then another? I ask about this phone line issue as well because of the pvr units such as dishplayer and 721 that are going to have internet access in it which would require a phone line.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...