Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about LNB's (especially to dealers)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 07:54 AM

Well, it looks like it finally happened. One of my dual LNB's started to show signs of trouble. Here is what happened.

Over a period of time I was noticing that I was starting to get a lot of pixelation on my local channels but all other channels were fine. After ruling out switches and cabling, I changed out the 110 LNB (because that is where the locals are coming from). Now everything works great.

My question. How long do LNB's usually last? I'm kind of curious because the 110 LNB has been in service for only 4 years. I would especially like to hear from any dealers to see what kind of failure rates they see. It just seems like an LNB should last longer. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 09:13 AM

I've seen very few of them fail, except in the case of a lightning surge that destroys a whole lot more equipment. As for single component failure, I've replaced one dual Sony in four years. They do fail, like all solid state electronic equipment. Heat and small surges destroy them over a long period of time.
Manufacturer of Slimline adapter sleeves for 1-5/8 inch poles.

#3 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 04:13 PM

I do not see very many lnbf failure rates but it happens every once in a great while. That has been the most reliable part of the systems with the ones that I have sold.

You could have had a loose connection. Try putting it on the 119 side to see if it works on that side.

#4 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 04:51 PM

I can't think of ever having to replace a regular (single or dual) LNBF. That includes one that I accidently dropped down most of a flight of stairs & still worked fine.

We have had some bad TWINS & maybe one bad QUAD but the DOAs were undoubtedly cause by bad internal switches. I also had a couple of TWINS lose the 110 side when the cust was tuned to a channel there & had AC surges.

;)
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 04:55 PM

The reason for more bad twins is due to the fact that it is more complex and has an internal switch and two lnbf's rather than one. There is more to go wrong. They aint going to have every single lnbf to work, with as many that are made, there are bound to be some go bad or be doa.

spam firewall