Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Statement from 3ABN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gary_zw

gary_zw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

3ABN has sent you the following message:

TEN COMMANDMENT WEEKEND UPDATE: In the event 3ABN hasn't been restored on Sky Angel by May 5 & 6, Sky Angel has graciously agreed to air 3ABN on Channel 9702 from 7:00 PM ET to Midnight on May 5th and from 9:00 AM ET to 9:00 PM ET on May 6th.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

Wow. The thought that it might be off more than another week. That's sad.

#3 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 05:54 AM

Isn't 3ABN available FTA?
Gun control is racist.

#4 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:06 AM

Yup, it's on AMC4 FTA. www.ftalist.com/amc4.htm

It's also available on the internet. http://www.3abn.org/tv_media.cfm

So what's so big about the Ten Commandments Day Marathon weekend?
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#5 OFFLINE   gary_zw

gary_zw

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:12 AM

So what's so big about the Ten Commandments Day Marathon weekend?

http://www.3abn.org/...ommandments.cfm

#6 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:16 AM

Leave it to Sky Angel to charge people money for something that's already free. I guess that's what you call Christian Charity.
Gun control is racist.

#7 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:44 PM

Leave it to Sky Angel to charge people money for something that's already free. I guess that's what you call Christian Charity.

Yeah, I am sure SES Americom donates the space on AMC-4. :rolleyes:

#8 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, I am sure SES Americom donates the space on AMC-4

That's not the point. 3ABN is free through one source, but yet Sky Angel does not also make 3ABN FTA through their system. They charge you money for something that is already free.
Gun control is racist.

#9 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:44 AM

That's not the point. 3ABN is free through one source, but yet Sky Angel does not also make 3ABN FTA through their system. They charge you money for something that is already free.

Yeah, you missed the point. It all costs money. Buy a receiver and dish. You would need C band for some of the FREE stuff. Get them free? Send in your donations so we can keep it FREE. Of course, Sky Angel has no operating costs or do they?

#10 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:56 AM

Buy a receiver and dish. You would need C band for some of the FREE stuff.

To clarify, 3ABN is available FTA with just a Ku-band dish and regular DVB receiving equipment. But it's true that there are even more free channels visible with C-band equipment.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:33 PM

SkyAngel has a recorded statement on their phone service, which tells you to check out their website for updates (http://www.skyangel.com/outage).

We here at Sky Angel do our best to provide you, our valued subscribers, the quality service you deserve, and we want to thank you for your continued patience during this difficult time.

We continue to work with EchoStar to restore the channels that are still experiencing technical difficulties. Though we believe it may be technically feasible to restore these channels, there remain other issues that must be worked out with EchoStar before restoration is possible. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve these issues. Regrettably there is no assurance at this time that we will be able to do so.

Please understand our call center representatives have no further information to give you at this time. Sky Angel asks our subscribers, and programmers for their prayers and support as we try to deal with this unfortunate situation.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

My highlighting in bold there, not theirs.

It MAY be feasable for the stations to return but no assurance?

My local TBN has received permission to flash cut to DTV. Most likely they will multicast channels of interest. Each subscriber needs to make their own decision on this issue. There is no guarantee that transponder 25 will not be hit by the same "technical issue"and another three channels will disappear. Actually we have had very little information at all except noting the outage.

#12 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:27 AM

To clarify, 3ABN is available FTA with just a Ku-band dish and regular DVB receiving equipment. But it's true that there are even more free channels visible with C-band equipment.

And alot of stations that are available FTA are religious in nature as well.
Gun control is racist.

#13 OFFLINE   jegrant

jegrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:27 PM

From what I understand, Sky Angel charges subscribers so that they don't have to charge (most?) programmers. The vast majority (if not all) Christian networks would have to pay to be carried on Dish or DirecTV, but SA* gives them airtime at no cash cost (only some ads promoting SA* must be carried). The subscriber fee covers the costs of doing business, plus (I assume) a small fee for commercial networks like Hallmark, HGTV, FNC.

I have noticed that Sky Angel has recently started to sell airtime on Angel One, but I still get the impression that they give away more than they sell.
Most other Christian networks, even though they regularly raise funds through voluntary contributions, also usually have some airtime that is directly sold to other ministries.

#14 OFFLINE   mattb

mattb

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:54 AM

From what I understand, Sky Angel charges subscribers so that they don't have to charge (most?) programmers. The vast majority (if not all) Christian networks would have to pay to be carried on Dish or DirecTV, but SA* gives them airtime at no cash cost (only some ads promoting SA* must be carried). The subscriber fee covers the costs of doing business, plus (I assume) a small fee for commercial networks like Hallmark, HGTV, FNC.

I have noticed that Sky Angel has recently started to sell airtime on Angel One, but I still get the impression that they give away more than they sell.
Most other Christian networks, even though they regularly raise funds through voluntary contributions, also usually have some airtime that is directly sold to other ministries.

To my knowledge, Skyangel does not charge the programmers on their system for the spots on the bird.. meaning Spirit, TVU, Liberty, Gardian, etc is all up there at their own cost (getting signal to Skyangel -- most are up on Cband or KU so that is not a big deal) I beleive the only requirement is to run spots for skyangel on their radio or tv channels...

Yeah I noticed they are attempting to sell time on angel one, I guess it makes sense, since they do not ask for donations to keep angel one on, like the other relgious programmers do. Plus I would suspect that skyangel is starting to think seriously about the future, they are building a new uplink center in Cleveland TN and I suspect they have come to reality that they cant munch off Echostar forever..

#15 OFFLINE   laseradam

laseradam

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:14 AM

May 25, 2006

As you may already be aware, on April 14th, Good Friday, we experienced a sudden loss of programming on 10 of our 36 channels. EchoStar Communications Corp., owner of the DISH Network satellite service, communicated to us that this loss was due to a technical failure of its EchoStar III satellite that we are currently sharing with EchoStar per a technical agreement we have with the company. We were successful in working with EchoStar to get seven of our 10 channels back on the air fairly quickly. Regrettably, three channels were not reinstated, and this technical failure evolved into contractual issues with EchoStar that, due to confidentiality restrictions in our agreement, we cannot publicly discuss. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we were unable to negotiate through the issues and are now prohibited from reinstating the channels that carried Three Angels Broadcasting, Golden Eagle Broadcasting and SPIRIT. Now that there is finality concerning our negotiations with EchoStar and it is certain that we will not be able to provide these three channels at this time, I wanted you to understand the reason.
In His service,

Rob Johnson
CEO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...