Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Damn Bogus Dish Adult PPV Charges

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 11:09 AM

Got my bill and got yet AGAIN another charge for Exxtasy on my bill. All my recievers have PPV BLOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!

We DID NOT ORDER THIS and NONE OF OUR RECEIVERS Show ini the purchases screen that we ordered it!

A call to Dish Network and they REFUSE to remove the charge!

They instead set my PPV limit to $0.00 and hope that this ends the Adult PPV's!

I think its time to call Clark Howard or something.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dlsnyder

dlsnyder

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 11:17 AM

The same thing has been happening to a friend of mine with D*. The consensus of opinion at the other site is that it was a cloned card. This is the first I have heard of anyone with E* having this problem. I didn't think card cloning was possible with E* because of the way they marry card to receiver.

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 11:29 AM

dlsnyder,

I guess you didnt see the thread here about this a little over a month ago, I will see if I can find it and post a link.

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 11:31 AM

The address is http://www.dbstalk.c...=&threadid=5741

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 11:45 AM

Mark thats TWO WORDS

And my time is work much more then $11. :)

#6 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 12:38 PM

:nono:Your a pervert and you know it!!!!!:hurah: :grin: :goodjob: :hi: :ewww:

#7 OFFLINE   bogi

bogi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Mark thats TWO WORDS

And my time is work much more then $11. :)

Go to the BBB then the Dept of Consumer Protection. Stall it for as long as you can.

#8 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 01:26 PM

hmmm..
That is strange - i guess i ll have to read that other thread...

Scott - Are you going to pay it?
and - Who da heck is Clark Howard?

That sux though...

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 01:28 PM

Im undecided if I am gonna pay it or not. I am emailing Charlies office now.

Clark Howard is the host of a national consumer protection program. National airing of dirty laundry for Dish Network is not what they need at the moment.

#10 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 August 2002 - 01:32 PM

I think I would be DEMANDING a Smartcard swap with them. At least it would put the cloner out of business (and hopefully out of your life)..
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#11 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 01:37 PM

is it an older card or newer one?

#12 OFFLINE   Timco

Timco

Woof!

• Gold Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 01:45 PM

Newbie question - wouldn't you have to swap ALL of your cards? If you don't know which of the receivers is "ordering", how would you know which one to replace? Sorry if this is a silly question.

#13 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:16 PM

This question was asked in the previous thread, but I don't think it was ever answered: Did the charges indicate that the PPV was ordered via the receiver or a telephone call/website request?

I suspect the difference would be noted in the cost of the charge.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#14 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:23 PM

It was ordered via a receiver. Thats all I was told.

None of my receivers except for my 721 is plugged into a phone line.

All receivers show no purchases from the recently ordered screen.

All my receivers have the adult channels blocked out, PLUS have the raitings ceiling set.

#15 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:29 PM

Actually, getting any and all previously billed but not ordered PPV movies off your records at DISH would be one thing that I would INSIST on.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#16 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:31 PM

Mark I don't care about that. I use to subscribe to those channels at one time. (hey I wasn't always married) :) I can be man enough to admit it.

My gripe is I feel I am being ROBBED by Dish Network because they REFUSE to remove the charges from my account.

Its like going to the grocery store and coming home and finding out you have been charges for a prime rib yet there is no prime rib in the bag and I never even picked up prime rib when I was in the store. When I questioned the store about it they say "it's on your bill your stuck with it... Too bad"

Thats my gripe.

#17 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:32 PM

I understand. I think it's VERY poor business practices by Dish Network not to refund you. There has to be a way for them to completely avoid that problem.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#18 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:34 PM

I remember the last thread. So they said a receiver had purchased it and no extra $1 phone appeared for it being called in?

I would ask for all your smart cards to be swapped just to be on the safe side, then maybe they will get the hint.

I dont think there is anything more you can do other than cancel your service and go to DirecTv. Dish used to be so good on taking charges off but I guess too many people tried to cheat the system and they learned fast, so when the innocent ones actually do have a problem, they have to pay for other people's mistakes.

No wonder why I have so many more occurances of people getting shut off for nonpay, especially lately. They cant afford it for one reason or another.

#19 OFFLINE   BrettR

BrettR

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Jacob S

I dont think there is anything more you can do other than cancel your service and go to DirecTv.

That maybe very expensive if he has multiple Dish Network receivers. DirecTV doesnt offer all the channels Dish Network has also. DirecTV might have the same problem also. The satellite companies need to verify the phone number. If Dish cant, then they shouldnt be authorizing the PPV purchase and charging the customer IMO. Worse, is Dish's attitude that they couldnt be wrong.

#20 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 03:19 PM

D* and E* should make it easier to BLOCK all PPV or Adult PPV ordering at their computer systems level (not just at the reciever level) But they make way tooo much money with impulse purchases of PPV and Adult PPV that to them it is a last resort to have their computer system prevent you from ordering (legitly by sub or illegit purchase by pirate).

That is the main problem, and until D* or E* stop licking their lips at potential PPV money it won't be easily fixed.

If they did offer the easy blocking at their system (not just at reciever), I bet all special deals would be 12 Months commit, Credit Card Autopay and Unblock your PPV ordering
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

spam firewall