Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do I add a Dish 500 to my Dish 1000?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rmmcneil

rmmcneil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:34 PM

Just left directv for dish network hd gold package with locals. I have a 622 hd dvr downstairs and a 625 dvr upstairs. Both are dual tuner mode for single tvs. Installer put up a dish 1000 and after a while of tinkering got the 129 signals to come in just over 60. Works for clear weather, but I'm worried about rain fade and would like to go ahead and bump up the signal as much as possible with a second dish (say dish 500).

My question is how do I do this? What additional equipment/switches do I need? How should the cables be run and connected? My current install has 2 coax cables running from the dish 1000... one going to each receiver. At each receiver the single coax run from the dish is split into 2 coax cables for sat 1 and sat 2 input on the receivers.

Feel free to offer any other recommendations or suggestions. Thanks for the help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:28 PM

With mine I have two poles side by side. I use the dish 1000 peaked on 129 sat with a line run into a Dish 500 peaked for 110/119 sat. I use a dish pro plus twin lnb on a dish 500 with a dish pro dual lnb on the dish 1000. The dish pro dual is run into the dish pro plus twin lnb . I don't require any thing extra since the switch is inside the dish pro plus twin. I use seperators on my two lines run into my two 622 receivers providing me with one line that splits into two for my two dual tuner receivers. I also have my lines diplexed for over the air antenna; Terk 44 clip on on the sat dish. The result is I have signals in the 100's on my 110/119 sat , except spotbeams and signals in the 80's on the 129 sat on the dish 1000 and good strengths on my 3 digital ota stations. It works for me.

#3 OFFLINE   rmmcneil

rmmcneil

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:04 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the info! How did you modify the ends of the satellite where the lnb's attach? Did you buy new ones or just leave empty spaces? Also, how did you know where to aim your dishes... did you get the settings (elev, azm, skew) from the setup menu or somewhere online?

#4 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:05 PM

I used a spare dish pro twin lnb to fill in the dish 1000 and I already had the dishpro plus twin for the dish 500. As far as the skew and setting for the dish 500 I used the setting off of the on screen satellite meter . For the dish 1000 I used the instructions that came with the dish 1000 for the skew elevation etc. I also used a hand held sat meter i bought on line , to tweak the dishes so they could have a stronger sat meter. I think I bought mine at the dishstore or dishdepot.com for like 29.99.

If you will give me your zipcode I can tell you from the instructions what your elevation, skew and azmuith should be.

#5 OFFLINE   rmmcneil

rmmcneil

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

zip code is 30064

Thanks for the help... I really appreciate it!

#6 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

zip code is 30064

Thanks for the help... I really appreciate it!

Azmuith 233/ Elevation35/ Skew 130

Protected By... spam firewall...And...