Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is the Playstation 3 priced to high??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

http://www.sfgate.co...BUGBRINUGB1.DTL

Hirai concluded the Sony news conference by announcing pricing information, which many considered the most pressing detail. At $499, Sony's 20-GB PlayStation 3 is $100 more than a fully equipped Xbox 360. Hirai said a 60-GB version will be available for $599 at the Nov. 17 launch.

Will the Xbox be the next game console leader?? Did sony price the Playstation 3 to high??
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,440 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:32 PM

Probably the big reason for higher price is the fact that the PS3 is an HD device and has a built-in Blu-Ray player.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

All of it is overpriced when it first comes out.

#4 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:52 PM

My son has already lobbying for several months that we should buy the Playstation 3 for it's BluRay player. In actuality, it is a very good price for that reason. That does not necessarily mean we will be buying one as soon as it first comes out.

#5 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

The BluRay and HDVD drives cost about $400. Add a hard drive software console, etc. and you have a price that might appear a lot to many of you, but is choking Microwave and Tokyo Electric on how aggressive the price really is.

#6 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,440 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:46 AM

The BluRay and HDVD drives cost about $400. Add a hard drive software console, etc. and you have a price that might appear a lot to many of you, but is choking Microwave and Tokyo Electric on how aggressive the price really is.

In actuality, Blu-Ray drives may be initially priced at $1000, according to industry analysts as reported in today's Charlotte Observer, thus making the PS3 a steal. Analysts predict that the PS3 will sell out quickly, resulting in it showing up on Ebay for a grand. :eek2:

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#7 OFFLINE   spykedvodka

spykedvodka

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:06 AM

Think though - they all take a loss on the console prices so it can't be overpriced. MS losses about $100 on each 360 sold, I imagine it is similar with PS3.

Also - the Blu-Ray as a HD-DVD player.... You should read up on this more before you consider shelling out the dough for it. You have to have an HDMI connection because of copyright features that will be on the HD DVD's (from what I've understood in most reports). If you use a compoment connection you will receive the Blu Ray signal, but greatly degraded. Also what is the problem with hooking your DVD player to your only HDMI/DVI connector? Well most people use that for their HD Programming on their HD Receiver... So you'd have to choose one of the other.

For this reason I like how XBOX 360 did their system. They put it with a basic DVD drive instead of HD DVD or Blu-Ray. This also wins because who knows who will end up winning the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray format wars.... It would suck to buy a PS3 with a Blu-Ray on it only to have it play very expensive video games in a year. I'd either get the XBOX 360 and then get the attachment USB drive for either HD-DVD (which is 100% coming out) or Blu-Ray (if they would win the format war)... Either that or wait until one of them wins the format war.

#8 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:25 AM

Also - the Blu-Ray as a HD-DVD player.... You should read up on this more before you consider shelling out the dough for it. You have to have an HDMI connection because of copyright features that will be on the HD DVD's (from what I've understood in most reports). If you use a compoment connection you will receive the Blu Ray signal, but greatly degraded.

Actually there is some misinformation here. Let's be careful... Let's not say "Blu-Ray is an HD-DVD player" as that tends to confuse the two format names. Blu-Ray players can play high definition DVD content, as can HD-DVD players.

Additionally, as late as last week, there were news reports that the movie industry was going to drop implementing HDCP until after 2012, so you're probably safe with Component outs for many years to come. Only the high-end PS3 will even have an HDMI port. The Xbox 360 and low-end PS3 only have Component.

#9 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:46 PM

From the comparisons and everything I have seen, PS3 will by far be better than XBOX 360. I also don't like that XBOX charges for online and PS3 doesn't.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#10 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:55 PM

From the comparisons and everything I have seen, PS3 will by far be better than XBOX 360. I also don't like that XBOX charges for online and PS3 doesn't.

Huh? That's what I get coming to a satellite forum for gaming disscusions. It's not just you either.

#11 OFFLINE   spykedvodka

spykedvodka

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:14 PM

Actually there is some misinformation here. Let's be careful... Let's not say "Blu-Ray is an HD-DVD player" as that tends to confuse the two format names. Blu-Ray players can play high definition DVD content, as can HD-DVD players.

Additionally, as late as last week, there were news reports that the movie industry was going to drop implementing HDCP until after 2012, so you're probably safe with Component outs for many years to come. Only the high-end PS3 will even have an HDMI port. The Xbox 360 and low-end PS3 only have Component.

When I said Blu-Ray as an HD-DVD player (or whatever the correct wording was) I was saying the two brand names not them as one - sorry I didn't write that clearer. I know there are two different marks.

Also it will only be a matter of time before 360 has a HDMI connection and I am happy to hear that the HDCP is being dropped for a few years.

#12 OFFLINE   spykedvodka

spykedvodka

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:19 PM

PS3 won't charge for their online service? That amazes me....

My only thing is, wait until the PS3 is out and you hear the reviews, from my readings and takes on this system it won't be what you think.

Think a motion sensor controller? How many people actually sit still and don't move during games? That will be very hard to get use too. Maybe it will be cool and it sounds cool, but I doubt it. I really don't think PS3 has anything over XBOX 360 and I think 360 will prevail. I mean they give a lot of promises and never deliver. Atleast when MS promises something with XBOX it eventually comes out.

As far as online gaming is concerned, wasn't PS2's online gaming "free" also and it is horrible. I doubt many things will change with PS3's online service. With XBOX you pay for service and in return you get service. It is incredible what you are able to do on XBL. Who wouldn't want to pay like $6.00 a month or whatever it is for all the features they offer. It is well worth the money.

#13 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:09 AM

As far as online gaming is concerned, wasn't PS2's online gaming "free" also and it is horrible. I doubt many things will change with PS3's online service. With XBOX you pay for service and in return you get service. It is incredible what you are able to do on XBL. Who wouldn't want to pay like $6.00 a month or whatever it is for all the features they offer. It is well worth the money.

You must not have payed attention to E3. Sony is coping, I mean emmulating, Xbox Live, for free. That doesn't mea it will be better tha XBL, but it will atleast be better the the PS2's online service.

And the PS2's online service didn't suck. It just wasn't unified which makes it hard.

#14 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:58 AM

Microsoft charges for Xbox Live, but it is integrated much better than on the PS2. For example, on Xbox Live you have a single sign-in for all games. On the PS2, each game generally has its own username and password.

Don't get me started on the PS3. ;-)

I own an Xbox 360, and I will probably buy a PS3, but as of right now, everything to do with the PS3 is vaporware and is subject to change. I don't like to talk about products that don't exist yet. ;-)

#15 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:33 PM

LOL. My friend has kept me in the loop on that stuff more than anything else, and I keep him in the satellite world loop. I would faint if DirecTV or Dish Network were to have a receiver that integrated the PS3. I seriously doubt it's gonna happen, but we can dream.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#16 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

That is another area where XBOX360 steps over PS3... there is already announcements that it will integrate with DirecTV equipment (in development).

I do think the PS3 is way over priced.... and I also don't like what they did between the "cheap" and expensive one.

If you get the "cheap" one now, you can NOT buy upgrade parts to get you to the same level later on. You will have ONLY a 20gb hard drive (vs 60gb) and you won't have the HDMI connector... plus who knows what else.

AS for "paying" for online with MS-Live. $50 a year to get the Gold, you get the Silver. I too enjoy having the ONE login, and if the game says LIVE... I know I have access to it.

With what I have seen for the PS2 (who knows what it will be on the PS3).... multiple logins, multiple costs depending on game vendor ect.... nah...

What is gong to hurt PS3 more at launch, IMHO is Wii price.

In years past, I have preorded and got all the systems at launch.
This time around... $250 for Wii or $500 for PS3....

I am going with Wii and the promise of access to 20years worth of Nintendo games.

(then mix in the HD-DVD and Blue-Ray...... ) Honestly, I think Microsoft did the right thing getting the unit a year before Sony.

And with "which is better"... at this point in the game.... it all depends on the game writers and the programmers.... The hardware at this point is so far past the programmers... the hardware isn't the bottleneck, it is the algorithms and programming techniques.... let alone the "contents" of the game.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

Yes its overpriced and yes it will still sale out. Will it be worth the extra money...IMO not at all. Ask yourself how many people today use there gaming machine as their primary DVD player? Very few I suspect...which makes the reason for the PS3 delay even that much more of a joke on Sony.

I will give it to Sony as they are gambling BIG its just too bad they are not using common sence. PS3 will do well but Sony ownership of the gaming market is now over and BD will eventually go the way of betamax

#18 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:01 AM

If Blu-Ray players remain at or above the $1k mark, then the PS3 will be a bargain merely as a Blu-Ray player.

#19 OFFLINE   Taha24

Taha24

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:53 AM

While the PS3 may be expesive, its a great value for me since I will be using most of its features.

Firstly, the game machine itself, its most likely gonna be more powerful in graphics than the 360, so I can see myself getting multiplatform games on the PS3 instead of the 360 (which I own already). Plus Sony has always had great 3rd party support. Games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Assasin's Creed, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, look really really good.

Second is the Blu-Ray player. I myself support Blu-Ray over HD DVD because Blu-Ray has much more potential than HD DVD, and if we are moving to a new format, I want it to be the best one now, so that we dont have to change formats again as quickly as if we go with HD DVD. I want to get a Blu-Ray player, but right now they are too expensive. I'm waiting for prices to go down before I get a standalone player, in the meantime, I will use a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, it may not be as good as a standalone player, but it should still look great, especially with how much power the PS3 is packing.

Thirdly, I love the multimedia features of the 360. Especially having it stream stuff of my Media Center Edition PC. Now the PS3 doesn't have the luxury of connecting to Windows like Microsoft can do. But Sony seems to have their own tricks by putting an internet browser right into the PS3. and its really nice they put a 60 GB hard drive in the $600 version. The 20 gb HD on my 360 is almost always near full.

And then the built in wi-fi really helps justify the price to me because Microsoft charges you $100 to get their wireless adapter. and then other stuff like flash media readers and HDMI out just sweeten the deal by addings things that the 360 doesnt even have.

#20 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:40 AM

While the PS3 may be expesive, its a great value for me since I will be using most of its features.

Firstly, the game machine itself, its most likely gonna be more powerful in graphics than the 360, so I can see myself getting multiplatform games on the PS3 instead of the 360 (which I own already). Plus Sony has always had great 3rd party support. Games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Assasin's Creed, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, look really really good.

Second is the Blu-Ray player. I myself support Blu-Ray over HD DVD because Blu-Ray has much more potential than HD DVD, and if we are moving to a new format, I want it to be the best one now, so that we dont have to change formats again as quickly as if we go with HD DVD. I want to get a Blu-Ray player, but right now they are too expensive. I'm waiting for prices to go down before I get a standalone player, in the meantime, I will use a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, it may not be as good as a standalone player, but it should still look great, especially with how much power the PS3 is packing.

Thirdly, I love the multimedia features of the 360. Especially having it stream stuff of my Media Center Edition PC. Now the PS3 doesn't have the luxury of connecting to Windows like Microsoft can do. But Sony seems to have their own tricks by putting an internet browser right into the PS3. and its really nice they put a 60 GB hard drive in the $600 version. The 20 gb HD on my 360 is almost always near full.

And then the built in wi-fi really helps justify the price to me because Microsoft charges you $100 to get their wireless adapter. and then other stuff like flash media readers and HDMI out just sweeten the deal by addings things that the 360 doesnt even have.

The PS3s graphics should not be much better than the 360's graphics. It will all come down to control. But it is very good that you are going to use the PS3's extra features. I, myself, will be content with the Wii.

spam firewall