Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CBS Waiver

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   davids

davids

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:39 AM

I live in the Grand Rapids, Mi area and would like to know if I get a waiver from my local station so that I can get the New York feed for CBS will I be able to pick it up with my Dish 1000 or will I need another dish? Someone told me that my Dish 1000 won't get it because the I would need a dish pointing to the east.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:01 AM

That is up to your local cbs. If it is a o&o station, should be no problem there. I don't know if current rules will allow you an earlier time feed, but there is the cbs-w feed out of LA. Other problems from there would be that cbs-e is on the 61.5 location while the cbs-w is on 148.

#3 OFFLINE   davids

davids

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:32 AM

That is up to your local cbs. If it is a o&o station, should be no problem there. I don't know if current rules will allow you an earlier time feed, but there is the cbs-w feed out of LA. Other problems from there would be that cbs-e is on the 61.5 location while the cbs-w is on 148.

It is my understanding that the Dish 1000 receives signals from 110, 119, and 129 locations. If this is the case, then I won't be able to receive CBS HDTV since it is at the 61.5 location. Am I correct?

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:59 AM

It is my understanding that the Dish 1000 receives signals from 110, 119, and 129 locations. If this is the case, then I won't be able to receive CBS HDTV since it is at the 61.5 location. Am I correct?

Yep.

#5 OFFLINE   nazz

nazz

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:50 AM

I just faxed a waiver this morning and am waiting to see if the channel is going to show up. I don't have a clue how soon it would appear but I keep checking it anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:08 PM

I would not hold my breath waiting for WWMT to approve a waiver in Grand Rapids.

#7 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

I don't understand why you would want the NY CBS station since WWMT is an HD station for CBS. Are you in someplace that can't pick up their HD signal. If this is true then you will have to have a site survey to prove that you can't get a signal that is good enuff to pick up the station. It is possible but hard if you are with in the area considered to be a good signal contour. It will cost you money to have a tech come to your house with a spectrum analyzer and prove that the signal quality is not clean or strong enuff to produce a good signal using a standard outdoor antenna.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:17 PM

WWMT has a poor HD coverage area - and they were slow to cooperate with cable companies to allow them to rebroadcast their HD signals. It there is a way for WWMT to prevent another station from coming into a home they will do that.

#9 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:46 AM

It will cost you money to have a tech come to your house with a spectrum analyzer and prove that the signal quality is not clean or strong enuff to produce a good signal using a standard outdoor antenna.

In this instance a test will not cause an automatic waiver. WWMT DTV signal testing will not begin until July 2007. This is because WWMT will not continue operating on DTV channel 2 after the analog cutoff. HD LiL in Grand Rapids will probably occur before that.

One of the characteristics of channel 2 is that an antenna must be mounted high to get good signal levels. Antennas on the low VHF channels (2-6) interact with the ground and cause the main beam of the antenna to tilt upwards; not at the horizon. The lower the antenna, the higher the beam is tilted up. UHF signals may work fine at 15' above the ground, but channel 2 works better at least 30' up.

#10 OFFLINE   davids

davids

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:46 AM

I have received the HDTV waiver from WWMT. After going to all the trouble to get it and it wasn't hard, I find that I can't use it because the CBS feed is on the 61.5 sat. and my dish 1000 doesn't pick it up. Bummers.

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

I have received the HDTV waiver from WWMT. After going to all the trouble to get it and it wasn't hard, I find that I can't use it because the CBS feed is on the 61.5 sat. and my dish 1000 doesn't pick it up. Bummers.

Did you bother to read my previous reply. Thought I kept it simple enough with my "YEP!"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...