Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did Dish dish out an ECM 8/15?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 06:44 PM

Charlie said once on chat something about - his bill was high...
lol
He is God anyhow - he can do what he desires..
Was said that - Charlie was seen himself in that control room few times..
Maybe that is what control room for - to keep the Employees paranoid and monitored - 24/7 - so they do not slack off..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 07:18 PM

I'm reading a hack board now, unfortunately, the 2 ECMs E* sent out are being dealt with quite efficently by hackers for the most part. An announcement was made that advised people not to 'fix' their equipment that got hit with the first ECM because they heard a second was coming soon. Most hackers (at least on the board that I'm reading) are already back online :mad:
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#43 Guest_kingc_*

Guest_kingc_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2002 - 07:46 PM

Agreed. Seems like we should be able to talk about the affects of piracy. Just as long as we don't get into a how-to pirate type discussion.

I really wish there was some way to find out what Dish actually does when a subscriber calls up and tells Dish his reciever is dead. Would be interesting. Ofcourse, even if the answer is they replace the reciever, surely that is when it is under warranty. This still means legit people with older recievers are getting screwed.

#44 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 11:45 PM

Maybe Dish is starting to think 'what will these people think when they actually get it fixed so quick? what will these people do to fix the problem? what can we do after they fix the problem? make it a bit worse and think a little different this time anticipating the hackers to come up with a fix.'

#45 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 12:27 AM

Charlie is God!

I thought Eric Clapton was God. :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#46 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 01:52 AM

some still think - there is no God...

Darvin's theory of evalution etc :)

#47 OFFLINE   DmitriA

DmitriA

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 07:24 PM

From my limited understanding about Dish piracy, I believe most of it is achieved because of JTAG connectors on most receivers (those who don't know what JTAG is - it's a hardware debugging interface that allows you to hook up the hardware device through the serial port to your PC and iissue commands to the processor, monitor bus traffic, etc). That basically allows them to figure out how the system works, as well as repair the software in the chips that ECMs occasionally wipe out.

So what I don't get is why Dish just doesn't remove those connectors from the final IRD versions that are sold to the subscribers! :shrug: The only potential legidimate purpose for them that I can see is to help the engineers figure out what went wrong with the RMAed IRDs. BUT in a professional manufacturing environment, I'm sure they can come up with other ways to do that and even if they can't, it's a small price to pay to significantly reduce the spread of piracy, IMHO

#48 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 08:01 PM

TNGTony - hehe - i see it is becoming an Imaginative, Creative, Philosophical and a Popular thread :)

lol

#49 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 08:11 PM

Wel now we all know Dish had a major ECM. We know another is coming. For us legel foks lets watch tv.

There is nothing more then this to report, so I am going to close this one.

spam firewall