Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will an upgrade remove the dreaded 811 Checkswitch Samba?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WanFittit

WanFittit

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:29 PM

We have a couple of 811 Receivers (with two dishes) and are constantly plagued by one or the other receiver losing the satellite. Those with this equipment will know the restoration process - dis-connect both, then run the check switch routine on the 'dead' receiver. All takes a bit of time and with it now happening on a weekly basis, the thrill has gone as they say.
The CFO says we should move back to the other side......but I thought that maybe an upgrade to a VIP 211 Receiver with a new single dish might solve the problem. Would also add a few more HD Channels for the cost of the $49 offer and an additional $10 monthly. It's certainly on the high side of reasonable.........but if it brought in a more reliable service in addition to the extra channels........
However talking to Dish they insist that they won't replace dual dishes with the new dish, for subscribers on the East Coast. Has anyone else heard of this? - I certainly don't want to increase my monthly bill, while still being stuck with the dual dish setup which seems to be the cause of our problems.
Maybe the CFO has a point......

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:31 PM

We have a couple of 811 Receivers (with two dishes) and are constantly plagued by one or the other receiver losing the satellite. Those with this equipment will know the restoration process - dis-connect both, then run the check switch routine on the 'dead' receiver. All takes a bit of time and with it now happening on a weekly basis, the thrill has gone as they say.
The CFO says we should move back to the other side......but I thought that maybe an upgrade to a VIP 211 Receiver with a new single dish might solve the problem. Would also add a few more HD Channels for the cost of the $49 offer and an additional $10 monthly. It's certainly on the high side of reasonable.........but if it brought in a more reliable service in addition to the extra channels........
However talking to Dish they insist that they won't replace dual dishes with the new dish, for subscribers on the East Coast. Has anyone else heard of this? - I certainly don't want to increase my monthly bill, while still being stuck with the dual dish setup which seems to be the cause of our problems.

The problem you are describing sounds like an install that wasn't done correctly. Talk to athe advanced tech support department at Dish. I have had a similar problem when I still had both my 622 & 942. 1 would work correctly and the other kept telling me the switch was bad. It turned out that by using a sat split cable inside confused the outdoor switch. I had to use a 2nd wire from the outdoor switch to the inside units. Then I had 1 that went to the switch direct to the 622 then the 2nd to the 942 and they then worked perfectly.

#3 OFFLINE   bhenge

bhenge

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:08 AM

The problem you are describing sounds like an install that wasn't done correctly. Talk to athe advanced tech support department at Dish.

Actually this has been a known problem for quite a while when an 811 is involved in a multi-receiver system, especially systems using DP Twin switches (this was from advanced Tech). I could be remembering incorrectly (this was months ago) but the 811 apparently seizes the switch/lnb combination and the only way to correct it is to totally remove power from the LNB which means unplugging all receivers, then plug them back in making sure the 811 is plugged in last. Finally, do another check switch on the 811. When I "upgraded" my 811 to a 211/411 with the recent $49 promo, all the switch/LNB seizure problems went away.

On another note Welcome WanFittit!!!
======================
Beam a little microwave to me!

#4 OFFLINE   WanFittit

WanFittit

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:25 AM

Guy's, thank you both for the comments and advice - you describe exactly both the problem and the solution which fixes it. Trouble is I'm getting pretty bored having to do it over and over - had to do it again yesterday.

As you say, if I'm sticking with the 811's the solution would seem to be to have a wiring fix done. No doubt that would involve the cost of a service call, so going with the $49 upgrade to the VIP receiver might be better value.

Appreciate you confirming that changing to the new receiver solved that problem for you - this is the information I was looking for, and something Dish were unable to answer when asked that specific question.

Wish their telephone people were better informed - seems to be normal to be given conflicting information each time you call....... Anyway, looks like I need to set aside some time to call again.

#5 OFFLINE   marcuscthomas

marcuscthomas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

While trying to troubleshoot lost video on my 622 this afternoon, I ran a check switch. Shouldn't have done it! I went through this exact dance to get the thing back. No number of "check swith" tests would find the switch working, but a reboot with inputs disconnected (followed by 25 minutes of waiting) worked it out. My install is solid. Until last week, I had been using a 522 on the same two-satellite setup and same switch for about 15 months without a single problem. The installer would not upgrade to one dish.

The 622 seems to drop video on Satellite local HD stations on 61.5.

spam firewall