Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

National Geographic HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

Any more news on the National Geographic HD channel coming to Dish soon? What about HGTV? Any others in the pipeline?
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:40 PM

I'm with you, but I think the answer will be: "Hold your water for a few more weeks." My wag is sometime between 5-31 and 6-10.:D

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:58 PM

Has HGTV HD even launched yet? I couldnt find anything about it on their website. The reason I ask is if it isnt out in HD yet, theres no way E* or D* can carry it..

;)

#4 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

Has HGTV HD even launched yet? I couldnt find anything about it on their website. The reason I ask is if it isnt out in HD yet, theres no way E* or D* can carry it..

;)

Launched April 10, 2006

http://www.hgtv.com/...6_44656,00.html

But I am even more interested in National Geographic
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:58 PM

The next question is... does anyone else have it yet? Even if the channel launched, doesn't mean anyone else has it. ESPN2HD was technically launched for months before anyone picked it up.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:25 PM

That looks like a press release SAYING it will launch on APril 10, did it actually launch, or is this just another marketing press release..Marketing promises things yesterday, that cant be done....

#7 OFFLINE   TheTony

TheTony

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

That looks like a press release SAYING it will launch on APril 10, did it actually launch, or is this just another marketing press release..Marketing promises things yesterday, that cant be done....

It's a television schedule, not a press release (the last link, at least).

#8 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

It's a television schedule, not a press release (the last link, at least).

Yeah supposedly it is the schedule of what they are actually broadcasting in HD on a daily basis.

Does anyone have either of these stations? Who knows.

#9 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:39 AM

I'm guessing we'll get the new HD channels just in time for Charlie to brag about them on the next Charlie Chat. I think that's sometime early in June. And he did promise them in the second quarter, so that fits too.

#10 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:53 AM

National Geographic Channel
Great news! The National Geographic Channel is available on Dish Network's America's Top 150 Package. Tune in to channel 186 for programming with passionate storytelling, spectacular imagery, and expert eyewitness accounts, or call 1-800-333-DISH for subscription details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NGCHD
National Geographic Channel High Definition (NGCHD) is not currently offered by Dish Network. Please call 877-77NGCHD (877-776-4243) to request that NGCHD be added to your channel line-up!

From National Geographic site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#11 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:45 AM

The next question is... does anyone else have it yet? Even if the channel launched, doesn't mean anyone else has it. ESPN2HD was technically launched for months before anyone picked it up.

Verizon FIOS has the channel...

http://www22.verizon...TV/channel.aspx
942 user 1/22/06 L288
622 user 9/30/2006 L365
DPP Twin LNB for 110/119 / DP Dual for 129
Sony 42in LCD RPTV
Pioneer VSX-D810S Receiver

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

There's only about 5 places (maybe I'm exaggerating a little) where you can live and get Verizon FIOS TV... so not a big thing just yet.

It sounds nice, but since I can't get it in this area, Verizon having a channel doesn't put pressure on Dish or Time Warner to get it around here :(

#13 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:05 PM

There's only about 5 places (maybe I'm exaggerating a little) where you can live and get Verizon FIOS TV... so not a big thing just yet.
(

I think Fios is actually just an Urban Legend. :lol:

#14 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

http://www22.verizon...TV/channel.aspx

And they have

821-Wealth TV HD
822-National Geographic Channel HD
823-MTV HD
831-Cinemax HDTV
833-TMC HDTV
834-Starz HDTV

Which Dish doesn't yet. Sure would like to have everything that is available.

#15 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

And they have

821-Wealth TV HD
822-National Geographic Channel HD
823-MTV HD
831-Cinemax HDTV
833-TMC HDTV
834-Starz HDTV

Which Dish doesn't yet. Sure would like to have everything that is available.

I have a feeling that dish will have these channels a long time before SBC lets Verizon into its controlled area. I have checked serveral areas and FIOS seems to be more myth, than fact in most areas.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:54 PM

I have a feeling that dish will have these channels a long time before SBC lets Verizon into its controlled area. I have checked serveral areas and FIOS seems to be more myth, than fact in most areas.

Yep.

I'm in a BellSouth area... and am pretty sure hell will freeze over about the time Verizon fiber comes into this part of town!

#17 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

It sounds nice, but since I can't get it in this area, Verizon having a channel doesn't put pressure on Dish or Time Warner to get it around here :(

About 15 suburbs of the 6th largest DMA, DFW. Also, in parts of Washington, DC and Southern Californa, Florida Golf Coast, and oh yea, that #1 DMA New York City....

I'd call that more than urban legand...

BTW, not a bad expansion since they started in Keller, TX only last fall.
942 user 1/22/06 L288
622 user 9/30/2006 L365
DPP Twin LNB for 110/119 / DP Dual for 129
Sony 42in LCD RPTV
Pioneer VSX-D810S Receiver

#18 OFFLINE   grooves12

grooves12

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

SBC/ATT is also working on rolling out FIOS and offering TV service... they are just further behind than Verizon. My guess is that almost all the major players in the phone market will eventualy roll out TV services, as bundling seems to be a major revenue generator for the cable companies, and the phone companies can't afford to fall behind, with landline revenue disappearing quickly.

#19 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

SBC/ATT is also working on rolling out FIOS and offering TV service... they are just further behind than Verizon. My guess is that almost all the major players in the phone market will eventualy roll out TV services, as bundling seems to be a major revenue generator for the cable companies, and the phone companies can't afford to fall behind, with landline revenue disappearing quickly.

SBC/ATT has partnered with Dish already, you can get a ATT/Yahoo DSL with DishNetwork for your TV viewing pleasure. Heck even Cingular is onboard. Bad thing is I have accounts with all of them, but don't want the bundle as I don't want to lose my waiver, for some unforseen reason.

#20 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:31 AM

I live on the Florida Gulf Coast and we do NOT have it here yet.!
jerry

Protected By... spam firewall...And...