Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lip Sync and ABC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkinghome

jkinghome

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

With two nights of Grey's Anatomy on ABC, I noticed that the lip sync was out on my 622 both nights, just for that show - but no other station.

It would start off ok and then I would see green blocks/pixels, and from there the lip sync would be off - that is both live and delayed viewing.

If I rewind to a point before the green artifacts, the lip sync is ok and then after the lip sync would be off.

I seem to only get lip sync problems on ABC. Very odd.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jeff P

Jeff P

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

I have a consistant lip sync problem with my local ABC affiliate. I'm running OTA HD through a stand-alone Samsung box, and it's the only channel I have a lip sync problem with.

I've ordered the 622 and am set to have it installed in early June. I'll be running my locals OTA through the 622, so I'm VERY curious to see if the prolem remains.

I'm thinking it's just compatability issue between the Samsung box and the signal my local affiliate is sending out, but we'll see...

#3 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

Interesting. I tend to have consistent lip sync issues with my ABC affiliate OTA as well. Since this is affecting affiliates in So Cal, Tulsa, and Seattle, starting to wonder if there is an issue with ABC source material.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#4 OFFLINE   lifterguy

lifterguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

When I first got an HD TV with a built in digital tuner about 2-and-a-half years ago, my local ABC station was constantly out of sync on network programing. I sent an e-mail to the engineering dept at the station, and they responded that they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix. It went several months, but they did finally fix it.
I have occassionally had audio sync problems on the 622 (various channels) - but they have been few, and usually a reboot fixes it.

#5 OFFLINE   aussiejohn

aussiejohn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

ABC HD Local here in Albuquerque claims ABC issues as well as small problem of their own. Certainly during Grey's Monday I lost a good few minutes to the green wierdness. Most synching issues seem better, but still have a center channel drop out on that station as well.

#6 OFFLINE   Jeff P

Jeff P

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:03 PM

Interesting. I tend to have consistent lip sync issues with my ABC affiliate OTA as well. Since this is affecting affiliates in So Cal, Tulsa, and Seattle, starting to wonder if there is an issue with ABC source material.

Interesting. What's odd is that I've talked to others here in Tulsa running ABC OTA and they don't have a lip sync problem. :confused:

I've just figured that it's some kind of crazy compatability problem with the local ABC feed, my HD box, and/or my receiver (Pioneer VSX-1015 TX).

I'm really curious if the problem will remain once I'm running ABC through the 622... (June can't get here soon enough!)

#7 OFFLINE   debpasc

debpasc

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

Samsung DLP here and I have lip synch issues with Desperate Housewives each week here in New Mexico -- it's sporadic throughout the program but there is no accompanying video issue. I never pay attention to networks but I think this is an ABC program.

#8 OFFLINE   Allin4greeN

Allin4greeN

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:22 PM

You can add an ABC HD LiL on the east coast (Philly) to a list of problematic audio sync locales (Grey's Anatomy). I haven't noticed too many problems with the OTA material but, man is the LiL ugly some nights... green weirdness (pixelation), audio sync...
Vizio P50HDTV10A ~ XBox360 & HD DVD Add-on ~ Toshiba D-VR5 ~ ViP622 ~ Sirius S50-TK1 ~ RS15-1870 OTA ~ Yamaha HTR 5750 (6.1) ~ Yamaha NS-AP4400M 3-way mains ~ Yamaha NS-AP4400E 3-way center w/2-way surrounds ~ Yamaha YST-SW015 sub ~ Belkin AP30800-10 ~ Harmony 676 || Westinghouse LTV-32w1 ~ ViP211

#9 OFFLINE   chrisjs

chrisjs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

You can add an ABC HD LiL on the east coast (Philly) to a list of problematic audio sync locales (Grey's Anatomy). I haven't noticed too many problems with the OTA material but, man is the LiL ugly some nights... green weirdness (pixelation), audio sync...

Since Portland,Or went live with HD locals I also have had the ABC sync problem. Only on Dish HD ABC local, OTA and SD are fine. Lost isn't the same and since the rain has returned I get lock ups if I use OTA broadcasts.:mad:

#10 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

Desperate Housewives started out bad last night w/ a lip sync problem. It drives my wife crazy. I also have weird green pixelating that happens a few times on ABC on every show I DVR in MPEG4.
GO FALCONS!
directtv Genie

#11 OFFLINE   jkinghome

jkinghome

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

I recommend that everyone that is having lip sync issues and the green distortion send a polite e-mail to dishquality@echostar.com

I sent one last Friday (haven't heard anything yet)

#12 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:03 PM

I recommend that everyone that is having lip sync issues and the green distortion send a polite e-mail to dishquality@echostar.com

I sent one last Friday (haven't heard anything yet)

Neither have I.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#13 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

Keep sending the emails untill you get a response. Every day would be nice.

#14 OFFLINE   chrisjs

chrisjs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:36 AM

Here is my letter to echostar:

I have been a dish customer since the mid 90s and have enjoyed the excellent service over these years. Since I have bought my new VIP622 my household is getting very discouraged in watching any event on the new system. The latest symptom is breakup of signal and delays in audio on the local HD channels. My wife keeps asking me " Why did we get this new system? Can't we switch to cable?" At this point I am seriously considering a switch and because this system "IS NOT WORKING!!" I feel my 18 month commitment is not a valid contract. Please reply to me on any actions that are being taken to resolve these continuing problems with the VIP622.

HDMI failures, I have returned one unit for this problem and am afraid to unplug my system in fear that it will not work at power up.
Constant reboots when signal reception falls below 80%. ( I would expect an error messages but not complete reboots)
Audio delays or lip sync problems especially on ABC local HD channels
Intermittent Signal loss on many HD channels (non OTA), ( tech who installed dish said they are pointed to optimum positions and cannot be improved)
Intermittent Video shutters on all channels and playback. ( this is infrequent but still happens)
At this point I have to buy another SD DVR receiver just so my wife can feel confident that she won't miss her shows. I am holding off on this purchase until I feel that echostar is working on these 622 issues. I hate to invest more into my system if I can get better service from my local cable company.

#15 OFFLINE   jkinghome

jkinghome

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

I am hoping that tonight's finale of "Lost" does not have lip sync issues. It's a 2 hour show and my wife will freak if the lip sync is out... again!

#16 OFFLINE   Jeff P

Jeff P

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

Can anyone figure why this problem seems to be more persistant with ABC?

While there have certainly seemed to be various problems with the 622, I would think that ABC shares at least some of the blame, given that the lip sync problem seems to be most prevelant/pronounced on their stations.

I don't even have my 622 yet -- I'm running OTA through a stand-alone Samsung box, and I've got lip sync problems with my ABC affiliate, with no problems on any other channel...

#17 OFFLINE   chrisjs

chrisjs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

Here is the response I just recieved. Was amazed, same day!!

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We would like to confirm your location. We do have some lip sync issues on the ABC locals in your area that we have been working on. You might want to see if it has cleared. If not, then we need to know which city you are located in, so we can identify which ABC belongs to you.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience, information, and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Satellite LLC

Quality Assurance Department

dishquality@echostar.com

#18 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:44 PM

I would use the OTA ABC station first because you are less likely to have these lip sync issues on OTA than on the problem ridden ABC digital station on satellite.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#19 OFFLINE   chrisjs

chrisjs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

I would use the OTA ABC station first because you are less likely to have these lip sync issues on OTA than on the problem ridden ABC digital station on satellite.

I cannot rely on my ABC OTA when it is raining here in Portland. NBC is strong all the time. I did get another response from dish and they think they have fixed it. I will check tonight.
They have also asigned a tech to look into my other problems with channel breakup on other HD locals.

#20 OFFLINE   chrisjs

chrisjs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

I am hoping that tonight's finale of "Lost" does not have lip sync issues. It's a 2 hour show and my wife will freak if the lip sync is out... again!

I ended up recording in SD just to be sure, and was glad I did because it was out of sync. Here is the note I recieved from dish today.

Our engineers have been working on the lip sync issue on your local ABC station. Hopefully, by the time you get this, the issue will have cleared.:rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...