Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

942 Cooling Fan Speed?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   XXL

XXL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

Having used a 942 for a year now, I’ve noticed that the cooling fan on the bottom of the unit frequently speeds up when recording or playing a program and sometimes does this in standby mode. I do understand that this is normal.

However, for the past couple of days the cooling fan continuously runs at high speed, even in standby. The 942 is not enclosed in a cabinet.

Doing a search for info on the 942’s cooling fan on this forum, I found several threads that mentioned overheating conditions. In a thread started by Gutter back on May 25, 2005, he put ¼” spacers under the feet of the 942 to aid cooling. (He had an overtemp warning of 147 degrees.)

I took Gutter’s idea and put 1” thick rubber spacers under the feet on my unit. The temperature drop of the 942’s housing was VERY significant! The heat given off from the vents on the left side was greatly reduced and the exhaust fan on the bottom almost feels like it’s now blowing cold air. ;)

However, the cooling fan is still continuously running at high speed (in standby) and is quite audible from our normal seating location in our HT. Will check the internal temperature when I fire the unit up tonight.

Otherwise, my 942 works GREAT!

Thanks to all the contributors on this excellent forum!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for bringing up a great tip from a long time ago. I have kept all my dish receivers spaced up with cork/rubber spacers about 1" tall. I also have a couple of small pc types fans running 24/7 to blow away the heat generated by my 942's.

It is good to mention the cooling benefits of some kind of spacers to those who were not reading this forum a long time ago.:D

As for your fan running full steam all the time, have you tried a power cord reboot? Does the fan run full hog when you are viewing tv or just in standby?

#3 OFFLINE   XXL

XXL

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

Jon,

Sounds like you were already clued-in to this cooling tip. Cool! (Pun intended) :D And yes, forums like dbstalk.com contain so much info from so many people that it's good to go back in time every so often using the search function.

To answer your question, the cooling fan has been running at high speed continuously for the past two days, both when "on" and in "standby". It hasn't changed speed / audible output for two days. Previously, you could easily hear it cycle slow / fast.

I did take your suggestion and performed a power cord reboot. After plugging the 942 back in, the fan ran at high speed for 20-30 seconds and then was quiet. A green light on the front panel came on for a few minutes and I could also hear the HD spin up. After a few minutes, the green light went out and all I could hear was the HD.

Checking underneath the 942, I could feel no cooling fan discharge. I propped the unit up and looked -- the cooling fan blades are not turning! I've never seen or heard this before on my 942.

The left side is a little warm, but significantly cooler than it was before "putting it up on blocks". :lol:

Our HT is 67 degrees right now (it's below ground level), so I'm guessing that the cooling was so effective after giving it more air that the fan doesn't need to run. :confused: I thought that the cooling fan was supposed to run all of the time, changing speeds as needed to prevent the internal temperature from exceeding a certain limit.

Sorry, I don't have a TV on right now (I'm too busy chasing moles around the yard), but will see if turning the unit on tonight causes the cooling fan to kick on. Will also check the temp under diagnostics.

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!

#4 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:05 PM

Yep, very good tip! I've also had mine set up on spacers for quite awhile. Just for future reference, if something is acting funny with any of the DISH boxes, a soft reboot (hold the power button in) or a hard reboot (pulling the power cord) will fix it most of the time. These are honestly the best two trouble shooting tips that I have. :)

#5 OFFLINE   XXL

XXL

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

lakebum,

Thank you too for the tip. It appears to be a very easy fix for a number of wacky electronic maladies with the 942.

Cheers!

#6 OFFLINE   dogday

dogday

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:29 PM

Mine has been running at a high speed the past couple days as well.

It gets plenty of ventilation as it sits on a wire mesh rack with a few inches below to the DVD player which is rarely on. The unit doesn't feel the least bit warm on any side.

I left it unplugged for about 12 hours overnight and it was running back in it's original state for a few hours. But it has since returned to the high speed and volume.

Is there a chance that the latest software update could have caused this? The timing is suspect.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

#7 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:35 AM

I don't think it is the software because neither of my 942's are having this problem. Now that Summer is here, how warm are you keeping it in your house? It may just be that the surrounding air temperature is warmer than before which is causing the fan to blow more than it had before.

#8 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:40 AM

Neither of my 942's have their fans running full hog as well. I do have a couple of computer fans blowwing across the left side of my 942's 24/7.

#9 OFFLINE   wkomorow

wkomorow

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:40 PM

I'm glad you posted this, I thought I was having a problem with my receiver. Just after the L287 upgrade, I noticed my fan was running continuously. This lasted a day or two. It was so noisy that I could hear it in the upstairs bedrooms (the receiver is in the downstairs living room). For whatever reason it's fine now. I think it was related to the software update; temps have been in the 50's at night here, so I can not image that the receiver was overheating.

#10 OFFLINE   dogday

dogday

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:33 PM

while it has been a bit warmer outside, the inside temps aren't any more than usual. The unit itself also does not feel the least bit warm - neither the case, nor the air blowing out of the vents. The fan is also running at a continous rate, rather than the usual occasional rev up and slow down.

I'm not surprised that it's not happening to everyone, but I'm ever so slightly comforted that I'm not the only one.

Is it coincidence that I got the call the day before the fan change to upgrade to the 622? ;)

#11 OFFLINE   XXL

XXL

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

Sounds like (some) others are experiencing the same cooling fan condition that I originally mentioned above. Thanks for your feedback!

Like dogday, I too wonder if it is 287-related...

What's now weird is that the cooling fan either runs at high speed or is totally off, both in standby and when on.

When the fan is roaring away, the entire box is cool to the touch. When the fan is off, the left side is warm.

Audio / video = no problems.

Regards

#12 OFFLINE   RBenson

RBenson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

My 942 has had this problem since the download too. Every morning the fan is roaring away but goes away with a hard reboot. Next morning, after an update it is running at full speed again. I hope they are aware of this and are trying to fix it. I wish they would just leave things alone when things are working OK. I just want to watch tv and record something once in a while. Everything was great until 287.

#13 OFFLINE   sixbears

sixbears

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

I too have noticed that my 942 fan is running all the time. I unplugged it for 12 hrs , then placed it on 2" spacers and plugged it back in. It booted up and all was well (no continious fan operation). After work I came home and the fan was running all the time. 942 was in standby all day.

Sounds to me due to the number od complaints from other users that this must of been caused by a software update. So until they fix it, I will have to reboot it when I want to use it.

#14 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

I am having the same fan problem but on only one of my 2 - 942s.
I have 1/2 inch bumpers under each for all the time I had them - about 18 months. The high fan speed problem just started to ocurr about a month ago.
After reading this helpful thread I did a power cord restart and it seem to fix problem but I do not know for how long yet. (PS did a power button reset first but it did not fix it need the power cord reset)

#15 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

Update -

The power cord "fix" of last night was unfixed this morning. Doing a power cord reset this morning seems to again "fix" the problem. As noted by others it would seem to be in some way related to the 3 AM EPG download.

Still find it odd that it only seems to affect only on of the 2 - 942s (always the same one.

#16 OFFLINE   wkomorow

wkomorow

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:04 PM

Mine was quiet for several days., but it started to whirl again (can't be the temp -it is really cool here).

#17 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

Based upon the fact that only some of the 942s are having this problem (i.e. 1 of my 2) it may be a problem with a certain group of sensors that was set off during one of the software updates.

The problem (issue) is back on the 942 that had the problem. The other 942 never had/has this problem.

#18 OFFLINE   XXL

XXL

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the additional input, folks. That's interesting about Jerry 42's two different 942 units behaving differently. Maybe E* can use this info to correct this situation.

Some of us are more sensitive to whirring / whooshing noises than others. Some HT enthusiasts even purchase front projectors, amps, etc. that are the quietest available so as to not detract from the quieter passages in movies and music. When my now-noisier 942 is churning away, it makes FAR more noise than my front projector or my fan-cooled amp. This is really distracting!

Enclosing this 942 wind machine is certainly possible, but I’m hoping for an L2.88 fix.

#19 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

I noticed the fan running constantly on my unit also. This is a new phenomenon, had the unit a year now. Looks like Dish changed the parameters for what triggers the fan to come on.

Not sure it is necessarily a bug. Could be an attempt to help with overheating issues some have had. It does not bother me, but I could see where those with a 942 in their bedroom could get annoyed.

#20 OFFLINE   dogday

dogday

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

any updates on this lately??

I've been out of town for the past several weeks and came home to find my fan still running full-tilt all the time (except for the occasional stoppage in middle of the night when the box is off - during software downloads perhaps?).

I hate having to call tech support, but getting a bit tired of the noise.

spam firewall