Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

942 Cooling Fan Speed?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:15 PM

I found a work around - not the best answer but it does work.

I brought a small very quiet computer case fan that operates on 12 DCV at .08 ampere. From the various old DC transforms (used a 12dvc 300 mA) I have around I cut the DC side output wires and connected the two fan wires to the the transformer. (note if the fan does not work switch the two wires as poles are important here)

I placed the fan outside the left side of the 942 case by the vents with flow going away from 942 and immediately the 942's fan speed dropped to the lower quieter rate.

This my not be the answer that everyone is looking for - but the exterior fan and the lower 942 fan noise together is substandially quieter than the 942's fan running at the higher speed.

This works with both my 942s - one fan each. I got both fans as package for less than $12. Just be sure to check the "db" noise ratings of the fan(s).

Just a suggestion.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:01 PM

Maybe this is why I have never heard the internal fan as I have had two computer fans with a 12v transformer blowing across my 942's since day one.

Excellent post and might be a fairly inexpensive solution for some until it corrected via software (if that is a possibility).

#23 OFFLINE   dogday

dogday

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

Thing is, with mine it definitely not running hot. The fan is on all the time, regardless of whether the receiver is on (I know it's technically always on, but you know...).

There is plenty of ventilation on all sides of the unit and the room temp is kept nice and cool thanks to a/c. It simply seems that the fan is just on - and the timing corresponds exactly with the last sw update.

guess it's time to call tech support. what time is it in India??

#24 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

dogday

My 942's were not running hot either. There is more than 4 feet of space on front and both sides and I have them sitting on rubber spacers that makes an extra 1+ 1/2 inch clearance under the units. I do not know the final answer but perhaps air is not moving from inside the 942 case to outside fast enough and the exterior fan pulls out extra air from the 942s.

One 942 is in the bedroom and my wife was saying how much noise there was late at night. Now with the fan the noise 80% quieter.

PS before going the fan route I called tech support and even got to supervisors in US. Their response on the fan noise was "its normal". So good luck with TS. My guess is 942 fixes are less important to DIsh now that the MPEG 4 boxes are out and they want you to trade up.

#25 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:32 AM

My guess is 942 fixes are less important to DIsh now that the MPEG 4 boxes are out and they want you to trade up.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Dish is still very interested in the 942 and will take care of this if it turns out to be software related. They care and are on top of things.

#26 OFFLINE   wkomorow

wkomorow

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

Jerry -

Any chance that your mini-fans are creating white noise that is absorbing some of the fan noise from the 942. BTW, my 942 fan has been fine over the last few days.

#27 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:18 AM

wkomorow

Anything is possible. I my case the high fan speed noise stopped and the internal fan speed/noise when down to the old speed/noise about 2 seconds after I turn on external fan. BTW the external fan noise rating is 12 dbs which is very low so it is unlikely to cover any other noise,

It may be the air flow/movement inside the 942 some how increase and that self corrected the internal 942 speed control. I was just thinking that this "issue" seemed to arise around the time of a previous Dish solfware, BUT it was also the time our general temps went up as we approached spring/summer. Perhaps that had some effect on the 942 internal temp fan controller. Do you / anybody have their 942s near an a/c vent that might cool the outside air enough for the 942?

An other idea which I have not tried as I not sure its wise or safe for the components of the 942, is to use compressed air and blow the air into the 942 and see if it cleans out and dust etc that might be blocking something and causing the internal fan to run at the high rate.

As I have had both 942s since the first month they were released and never had this "issue" before, I do not believe "its normal" as the CS supervisors said. The 942s are IMO good machines - I replaced 2 TiVos with them. I want to keep them going and operating as they did when I first got them.

Good luck with whatever to do.

#28 OFFLINE   scn101

scn101

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:12 AM

Over the past month I've noticed that my 942's fan often runs at full speed. The box is very cool to the touch and is in an open area. I've had the 942 for over a year and its never run the fan at full speed continuously. It is mounted on 1/2" spacers for better airflow.

If I do a soft reboot or a power line reboot the fan speed restarts at full speed for about 20-30 seconds and then slows down to a "normal" speed. It remains at a variable low to medium speed for a day or two and then locks on high speed again. I usually notice the high fan speed first thing in the morning, so I think it locks on high speed sometime during the early morning hours.

Since the box is cool I suspect either a temperature sensor failure or perhaps it is software related. Anyways, I think Dish might want to look into this.

#29 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

What are your high, low, and average temps? Go to menu 6-3-Counters to check.

#30 OFFLINE   scn101

scn101

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:51 AM

What are your high, low, and average temps? Go to menu 6-3-Counters to check.

Fairly cool I think at: 118F High, 93F Low, 111F Average

#31 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, those look good. The fan should not be running full time. Looks like it might be time to replace that sucker with a brand new 622 :)

#32 OFFLINE   scn101

scn101

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

Well I finally had enough of listening to my 942's fan sounding like a jet engine. The only way to have the fan return to a normal speed and sound was to either do a power cord or soft reboot. The fan would then settle down and run normally for a few hours but always returned to high speed. This process was getting old and kind of annoying.

The case was cool to the touch. The 942 was on a open shelf, on riser spacers, in a cool room with no heat sources anywhere near it. No way was the fast fan needed. Besides, it never did this over the previous 12 or so months. Something must be wrong. In addition, I was having issues with the 942 responding to the remote, sometimes it would, other times it wouldn't.

So I decided to open the box. Hey, maybe some dust was clogging it? Opened it, no dust, no dirt. But I did find a TO-220 package split open down its middle. It was a LM340T12, a 12V postiive linear voltage regulator. VR9 on the PCB. As luck would have it, I had a 7812 spare (part of my hobby repairing pinballs and pretty much identical to a LM340T12). I removed the offending device and noted that it had almost no thermal grease between it and its heatsink. This may explain why it failed, simply got too hot. Put some thermal grease between it and the heatsink and soldered in the 7812. Put it all back together as I had to completely remove the motherboard, harddrive, and power supply card.

That was three days ago. Ever since the fan has been running between low and medium speeds. No more jet engine sounds. And the remote is working properly again. Anecdotal, but the two issue may of been related? I can't be sure because I don't have the schematics to the 942. If anyone does, please send me a copy.

Not sure if my 942 was an isolated incident but I thought I'd share the experience.

Happy again with my 942.

spam firewall