Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

622 vs. 811 OTA tuner

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hojo

hojo

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

I'm considering leasing a 622. I'd like to know if the digital OTA tuner is better on the 622 or at least the same as the 811.I live in the Birmingham, Al DMA . And we are not on The list to get LIL hd via dish anytime soon. The last thing I want to do is lose any channels I currently get. But I'm hoping maybe to pull in the two stations(NBC, PBS) that are not very strong better. I live about 27 miles from most of the towers. I get CBS,Fox,WB,UPN, ABC very good. NBC good most of the time and PBS very sporadic at best. So if any of you have any experiences with both tuners please share any info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kbdrand

kbdrand

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:49 AM

I'm considering leasing a 622. I'd like to know if the digital OTA tuner is better on the 622 or at least the same as the 811.I live in the Birmingham, Al DMA . And we are not on The list to get LIL hd via dish anytime soon. The last thing I want to do is lose any channels I currently get. But I'm hoping maybe to pull in the two stations(NBC, PBS) that are not very strong better. I live about 27 miles from most of the towers. I get CBS,Fox,WB,UPN, ABC very good. NBC good most of the time and PBS very sporadic at best. So if any of you have any experiences with both tuners please share any info.

I just replaced my 811 with a 622 and I haven't seen any problems with OTA. In fact I had a local station that took about 30 seconds to come in on the 811 but on the 622 it comes in almost immediately.

I don't have hard numbers but it seems that my signal strengths on the 622 are a little higher than with my 811.

#3 OFFLINE   kf4omc

kf4omc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

Did you think about getting a antenna amp or maybe a bigger antenna to pick up the weaker stations? Or maybe a rotor to turn your antenna to help maximize the signal.

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

The orginal 622 review I believe has some comparision numbers.

http://www.dbstalk.c...iP622Review.pdf

I also swapped an 811 with a 622 and noticed an improvement. Some have indicated worse performance, but most have indicated equal or better from the posts I have read.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   hojo

hojo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

Did you think about getting a antenna amp or maybe a bigger antenna to pick up the weaker stations? Or maybe a rotor to turn your antenna to help maximize the signal.

I have a Cm 4228 with a cm 7777 preamp in the attic. I really don't want to put it on my roof. NBC comes in good enough and PBS would be nice in HD since our pbs station has a totally seperate hd lineup than their regular programming. But I can live without it. I just don't want to lose anything that I do have now,if i upgrade to a 622:).

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:49 PM

i have the same configuration but I am in SoCal. I did not lose anything moving from my 811 to my 622. Ofcourse with OTA YMMV always applies.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   kbdrand

kbdrand

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

I also have my antenna in my attic. I'm about 30-40 miles away from the towers, but I get everything fine. I wouldn't worry about moving to the 622 and having any OTA reception issues.

spam firewall