Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking about getting Dish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samfsu

samfsu

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

I am thinking about getting dish but am a little discouraged by the $400 fee to get the HD DVR. Can anyone provide suggestions? I have one HDTV that I want the HD DVR on then another HD and a SD, perhaps a 4th tv that is SD. Any suggestions to get the most bang for the buck? Would it be better to buy offa ebay?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You refuse to lease the HD DVR?

#3 OFFLINE   swissin

swissin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:53 AM

The HD DVR FOR NEW CUSTOMERS IS $299.00 with 18mos com;)

#4 OFFLINE   randog311

randog311

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:08 PM

I currently have Dir TV HD (H-20 / 3LNB = soon to be 5-LNB) and I am happy with the service.

I had "DISH" for 8 1/2 years and was very Dissatisfied with the Customer Service
(or the lack there of).

Good Luck with Your Final Choice

randog311 (Denver Area)

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:44 PM

I currently have Dir TV HD (H-20 / 3LNB = soon to be 5-LNB) and I am happy with the service.

None of this helps someone who is contemplating an HD DVR. DirecTV is probably the last place that a prospective HDTV DVR customer should consider.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:04 PM

I am thinking about getting dish but am a little discouraged by the $400 fee to get the HD DVR. Can anyone provide suggestions?

If you have cable available, you could pay your cable company $25/month ($300/year recurring) for an HD DVR and an HD tuner (maybe $7/month less if your non-DVR TV is Cablecard capable). The cablecard scenario would be a win if you were happy (or happier) with the programming value of cable.

I have one HDTV that I want the HD DVR on then another HD and a SD, perhaps a 4th tv that is SD.

This sounds like a case for a ViP622 and the not yet released ViP222 for $17.98/month.

Would it be better to buy offa ebay?

You would have to pay for a suitable antenna setup and installation which would add $75 (if you self-install) up to $300 (professional third party four-TV install) to the picture.

#7 OFFLINE   samfsu

samfsu

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

Thank you for the insight. Does anyone have an opinion why dtv or dish would better than the other?

#8 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

The HD DVR FOR NEW CUSTOMERS IS $299.00 with 18mos com;)

I signed up Friday as a new subscriber. As of that day, 6/9, the 622 is $199.99 with a rebate of $200 ($20 credit/mo. for 10 mos.). 30 day trial. I was given the option of no commitment and I recall the only difference was a $14.99 charge if the 622 needs replacing and a charge for any needed service call.

I already have Directv TiVo and will keep for now so I can compare. Dish currently has the advantage since they are adding more HD channels.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

Thank you for the insight. Does anyone have an opinion why dtv or dish would better than the other?

The only opinion that counts is yours. We can provide you with lots of information, but your shoes don't fit us.

When I made a decision, I took the channel charts for D*, E* and Comcast and created a table. I went through and highlighted all of the "must have" and decided which plan from each distributor was my best match. Using "would be nice" and financial comparisions, I made a final decision.

Currently the situation is a little different because there is such a disparity between the players with respect to HD programming and viewing. If HD isn't in your wildest dreams for at least two years, this is a non-starter issue.

Don't forget to factor in commitments: cable is typically 12 months, Dish is 18 months and DirecTV is 24 months. Most have thirty day trial promotions going at the moment.

If you can be significantly more specific about your personal criteria, we may be able to help you fill in some of the blanks. General programming categories and home theatre capability are a good place to start. Availability of OTA signals may make a difference too.

spam firewall