Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

HBO The Works

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sean_*

Guest_Sean_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2002 - 01:19 PM

Where are the missing HBO channels on D* like HBO Zone or HBO Comedy? Our local crap cable company even has these in their package.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 02:12 PM

Theyre nowhare. D* doesnt offer HBO Zone, HBO Comedy amd HBO Latino along with the other 5 or 6 Cinemaxs. Mainly due to contracts.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 02:32 PM

I think he is asking----Why don'tt they?
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   rspetti

rspetti

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 02:41 PM

I get HBO Latino (or whatever it's called) as part of my HBO subscription on D*. It's broadcast from the 119 satellite.

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 04:07 PM

With as much that is paid for the channels at this time, we should be getting those other channels at no additional charge. Dont the cable companies offer it for the same price or cheaper?

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 05:17 PM

I forgot HBO L is on 119, ch 511, IIRC. Reason, theyre not up is becasue D* doesnt want to add them, or they feel there is no need to or TW is not giving them a good deal.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#7 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2002 - 10:27 PM

I'm fairly sure D* could add them if they wanted. I 've written three times in the past year asking about it. Truth is, D* now offers the worst premium channel selection around. Digital cable has more and E* offers more.

WAKE UP DIRECTV. YOUR LAST!!

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 10:33 PM

Really no reason to add them if you look at things from the DirecTV standpoint.

They gain no additional revenue from adding these channels, and the customers are not missing any programming from which they could see on the other HBO channels.

Really No $$$ + No New Programming = No Reason to carry it.

One thing I liked that HBO has done last year was some of the shows aired both on HBO and HBO2 at the same time, one was Letter Box (and HD) the other was non letterbox. That was a cool use of the channels.

#9 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2002 - 11:29 PM

I disagree. Keeping their customer's happy and being competitive
with digital cable are two great reasons to add them.

If we follow your reasoning, why have more then just HBO east and west? Selection and convenience are important to many customer's. D* should add them for the same reasons E* an cable have before them.

From what I've seen, HBO Comedy offers many stand-up shows not in rotation on other HBO channels.

#10 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 12:20 AM

Ok, they add a couple of crappy HBO channels and then put off on adding LIL or HDTV channels. Sounds good to me. :rolleyes:

#11 Guest_The New Davidp_*

Guest_The New Davidp_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2002 - 07:18 AM

Here is the real HBO Works package

http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/hbo.shtml

#12 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 01:22 PM

Originally posted by The New Davidp
Here is the real HBO Works package

http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/hbo.shtml

I'm surprised HBO hasn't yet put up west feeds of those 4 new MAX channels yet. (WMax, @Max, OuterMax, 5StarMax)

If you really want the real HBO Works, just get a 4DTV BUD system & it's all yours... ;) ;) ;) (Along with the real Showtime Unlimited pkg & the real Starz/Encore Superpak)

#13 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2002 - 09:21 PM

Originally posted by James_F
Ok, they add a couple of crappy HBO channels and then put off on adding LIL or HDTV channels. Sounds good to me.

I have heard from several friends that HBO Comedy is a good channel. Also, D* has been adding nothing but locals for the past year and only a very, very small percentage of their customers could make use of more HDTV channnels at this point. I have a feeling however, that your one of those few.

#14 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2002 - 09:26 PM

Originally posted by dishrich

If you really want the real HBO Works, just get a 4DTV BUD system & it's all yours... ;) ;) ;) (Along with the real Showtime Unlimited pkg & the real Starz/Encore Superpak)

What is a "4DTV BUD system" ?

#15 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Bob
What is a "4DTV BUD system" ?

Beautiful Useful Dish, or as most people know it,
Big Ugly Dish. :lol: :lol: :lol: (You know, the 8+ foot dishes)

The 4DTV is a C-band receiver that tunes analog, analog VCII scramble programming & DigicipherII Digital programming. The only thing to remember, is that not ALL digital programming on C-band uses the DCII format. But, all the premiums stated above definately do. The picture quality out of this is first rate, since this is the very same signal both DBS providers, as well as cable co. use to supply these channels.

#16 OFFLINE   Whammy

Whammy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 04:59 PM

E* has HBO Comedy. :)

#17 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 05:48 PM

I called Dish up a while back and complained about lack of Cinemax... Cinemax is the smallest package by far of the premium channels. They really need to carry the additional feeds.

#18 Guest_Sean_*

Guest_Sean_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:00 AM

It should be noted here also that most cable systems bundle cinemax with HBO and Showtime w/ the Movie channel. Im a true blue D* fan, but it looks like cable has it all over the dish when it comes to premiums.

#19 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:01 AM

Perhaps they no longer do dut D* used to haver a specail rate for HBO w/ Cinemax.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#20 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:57 AM

Yea they dumped that about 6 months ago. Now you have to buy them ala-carte...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...