Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Only 5 channels from second dish!?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   quo17

quo17

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

After I moved in this house, I put my Dish account on hold and have been watching Comcast Digital Cable for 2 months... This is a different story, but for short: "ON DEMAND" never worked, billing statements are insane (with promptional rate), converter box was a beat-up crap that even had no S-Video port, picture is bad on analog channels 2 - 99, and installer was lying at least 2 times.
So after I figured out where should I mount my dishes (I did not want "Dish Mover"), I cancelled Comcast and called Dish to restore my programming (AT60).
After they turned it on, I was surprised: they moved all the local channels to primary dish. So, the only channels I watch from a second 148° dish, are these:
-------
The Pentagon Channel
Classic Arts Showcase
Good Samaritan Network
Holistic Television Network
Panhandle Area Ed. Consortium

-----
From these five, I watch only ARTS.
Does anyone has a clue, why they cannot move these to 110 or 119 satellites?
Are they planning to?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

After I moved in this house, I put my Dish account on hold and have been watching Comcast Digital Cable for 2 months... This is a different story, but for short: "ON DEMAND" never worked, billing statements are insane (with promptional rate), converter box was a beat-up crap that even had no S-Video port, picture is bad on analog channels 2 - 99, and installer was lying at least 2 times.
So after I figured out where should I mount my dishes (I did not want "Dish Mover"), I cancelled Comcast and called Dish to restore my programming (AT60).
After they turned it on, I was surprised: they moved all the local channels to primary dish. So, the only channels I watch from a second 148° dish, are these:
-------
The Pentagon Channel
Classic Arts Showcase
Good Samaritan Network
Holistic Television Network
Panhandle Area Ed. Consortium

-----
From these five, I watch only ARTS.
Does anyone has a clue, why they cannot move these to 110 or 119 satellites?
Are they planning to?

They are Public Interest Channels which are required to be on a specific satellite.

#3 OFFLINE   quo17

quo17

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:13 PM

They are Public Interest Channels which are required to be on a specific satellite.

May I ask you: required by whom?
I see other PI channels like UWTV, LINK, FSTV are on other satellite, which we are accessing with regular Dish500.

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:22 PM

May I ask you: required by whom?
I see other PI channels like UWTV, LINK, FSTV are on other satellite, which we are accessing with regular Dish500.

The FCC requires a certain number of unique public interest channels be assigned to satellites based upon the bandwidth consumed by certain types of programming on that satellite.
You will likely see the same channels on 148 and 61.5. This is because the content on these locations is somewhat the same.

Oh, the ones you see on DiSH 500 are not all on the same satellite. Some are on 119 and some are on 110.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:33 PM

I wish they would put the five "wing" PIs on 129° dish (and did wish they were on 105° and 121° when those locations were more active). But the FCC rule that places them there applies to US DBS satellites, and E* isn't required to have them on 129° (a Canadian slot) or the FSS satellites.

John knows this, but if E* had their way there would be a lot more of the "public interest" channels on the wings and off of the main satellites. That's one of the things E* had to be slapped about in the past.

#6 OFFLINE   quo17

quo17

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

The FCC requires a certain number of unique public interest channels be assigned to satellites based upon the bandwidth consumed by certain types of programming on that satellite.

Thanks, John! Will live with that, then.
But it sucks! For me, as subscriber, bandwidth from that satellite is 0: I did not receive any Non - Public channels from it.
And why then they don't add PI channels to 121° sat?

Oh, the ones you see on DiSH 500 are not all on the same satellite. Some are on 119 and some are on 110.

I know, but it's just one dish, which will make lots of houses in this land prettier!

#7 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

And why then they don't add PI channels to 121° sat?

As James mentions, 121 does not require Public Interest Channels since it is a KuFSS satellite operating under Direct to Home rules, not a DirecT Broadcast Satellite.

I have 13 dishes. A matter of opinion which looks better. :)

#8 OFFLINE   quo17

quo17

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

I have 13 dishes. A matter of opinion which looks better. :)

Right, right...
"The beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Thanks, John and James for your response.
However, it does not make me happier: the fact, that it's required by FCC and only on these "wing" satellites, does not make it look more sane than it is:
You need a dish for just 5 channels!
They should either add some more channels, or remove these existing ones.
I am not sure, but some other people, who had their locals moved, may ask the same question.

Are you aware of any plans to increase this number of channels?
Maybe they will show some international promos on regular basis, like they do with ch.280-299? (that was another nice surprise for me after I restored my subscr-n, thanks, Dish Network!)

I see they added 9905,9906, 9907, will they work for AT60, does any has an idea?

#9 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

Right, right...

However, it does not make me happier: the fact, that it's required by FCC and only on these "wing" satellites, does not make it look more sane than it is:
I am not sure, but some other people, who had their locals moved, may ask the same question.

Maybe they will show some international promos on regular basis, like they do with ch.280-299? (that was another nice surprise for me after I restored my subscr-n, thanks, Dish Network!)

I see they added 9905,9906, 9907, will they work for AT60, does any has an idea?

If you think it looks ugly you can remove the dish there is no law forcing you to have the dish up there. There is a law forcing DISH to broadcast that number of channels off that satellite so they don't have a choice.:)

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:28 PM

Right, right...

Our next door neighbors have four dishes Two Dish Network dishes and two bigger Dishes for Phillipino programming. Then on the chimmney there's an antenna from the original owner. The house has been sold 3 times since 1993. I don't mind looking at a dish farm.:) :)

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:55 PM

I got tired of looking at the cable drop from the pole to my house in my back yard. It was running through a tree and in my way when I wanted to put a ladder up to the roof. It isn't a problem anymore. :D

The number of channels is a percentage of the available channels from each of the satellites. They apparently don't multiply for the use of spotbeams. If they increase the channel capacity of the satellite they should increase the number of PI channels on that satellite. There hasn't been an increase in ConUS capacity on 119° or 110° so don't expect the number of PIs to increase (might actually lose a couple with five more transponders doing spotbeams than before).

spam firewall