Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switching Dish/Antenna Types and Local Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Keegan99

Keegan99

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 04:39 PM

I live in the Austin, Texas area and I have a DirecTV PLUS dish, as it was required to receive Austin locals when I purchased DirecTV last year. Consequently, my locals are in the 0-99 range.

Now, the Austin locals are available on the main DirecTV feed, and only require the regular dish. These channels are also listed in the 906-911 range, but they are listed as unavailable when I try to access them with my current receiver (hooked up to a PLUS dish).

This fall, I would like to take one of my receivers to college football tailgates on the weekend and hook it up to a dish in the parking lot.

My question is as follows: When I hook my card/receiver up to a regular dish, will the Austin locals automagically become available on 906-911?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Keegan99
My question is as follows: When I hook my card/receiver up to a regular dish, will the Austin locals automagically become available on 906-911?

Directv moved your locals to the spot beam satellite, so you cannot pick up your locals if you go outside the footprint of the spot signal. If the games are being played within a 100-150 miles of Austin you should be okay.

If you are using your PLUS receiver, they will be mapped to the OTA channel numbers as they are at your home. If you use an older (non-PLUS) receiver they will be in the 906-911 range. The dish you use has nothing to do with it - the receiver does all the work.

And you would have to use your card with the receiver it is in now to watch your programming. The cards are tied to the receiver and cannot be shuttled from one receiver to another (unless the card is hacked, but that's another can of worms :D ).
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#3 OFFLINE   Keegan99

Keegan99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the info.

I will be within 100 miles of Austin, so location shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, it looks like I will need a PLUS dish for tailgating since that is what my card and receiver (currently in my bedroom) are configured to use, and that's what I'll be taking on the road.

#4 OFFLINE   Richssat

Richssat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 08:04 AM

No, you don't need to use the plus dish for tailgating. The receiver will work fine with a round dish. Your locals should remain in the same channel positions. We had the same thing happen here in San Diego last year (locals went from 119 to spot beam) and I get my locals on my round dish attached to my camper.
Repeat after me: Merger bad, merger bad, merger bad.... Wow, I think it actually worked. (This space for rent)

#5 OFFLINE   Keegan99

Keegan99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 11:51 AM

Richssat - thanks for the clarification. I'll go get a round dish and test it out.

spam firewall