Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is the 211 that bad ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   butette

butette

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

I was planning to sign up for Dish HD package with the 211 receiver but after reading all the bad stories here, I am having second thought if it is even worth it. Would the 622 be any better, ignoring the DVR feature.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   vinobabu

vinobabu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:54 PM

I was planning to sign up for Dish HD package with the 211 receiver but after reading all the bad stories here, I am having second thought if it is even worth it. Would the 622 be any better, ignoring the DVR feature.

Thanks.

Except for lipsync issues thru optical cable..I have absolutely no issues with my 211.
I did have some initial issues like black screen (no picture) , but those issues were related to poor signal from Dish, once I got the signal issues fixed..I have no problems.

#3 OFFLINE   butette

butette

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:55 PM

Except for lipsync issues thru optical cable..I have absolutely no issues with my 211.
I did have some initial issues like black screen (no picture) , but those issues were related to poor signal from Dish, once I got the signal issues fixed..I have no problems.

Thanks for the feedback. Reading the other threads lead me to think that this receiver is very buggy so I am incline to put off getting DishHD for now. I hate to think I will have to reboot this unit every day to address some problem. Heck I don't even reboot my PC but once a month or so, and it is running crappy Windows! ;)

#4 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Reading the other threads lead me to think that this receiver is very buggy so I am incline to put off getting DishHD for now. I hate to think I will have to reboot this unit every day to address some problem. Heck I don't even reboot my PC but once a month or so, and it is running crappy Windows! ;)

butette.....
You have to keep in mind.....for every ONE negative post here (and other fora)...there are literally HUNDREDS of satisfied users....This goes for ANY product or service.
I've had a 411 for nearly 7 months now....aside from a glitch in the Caller ID circuit (which I can live without....) I've had ZERO problems. It's simply that I....and others....who ARE happy with what we have just don't post to say "HEY! There's nothing wrong!":D

#5 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

My 211 has provided countless hours of HD since February, with exactly one reboot.

#6 OFFLINE   rustamust

rustamust

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

As I have said before my 211 is great only 1 reboot while setting up and 1 last week after 3-4 hrs OTA and returning to sat. After that I go to the guide and then select sat channel. I have had set from Feb. and would do it again. My PQ on HD 20-30% better than 811 and SD is great. HD lite? looks good to me other than a little soft but how many of old movies are remastered before converting to HD. Seems to me that its still better than remastered DVDs. HD DVD wont go there as no interest in it for the next several years. Just my 2cents.

#7 OFFLINE   homertiger

homertiger

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:13 PM

no problems here!!!:)

#8 OFFLINE   cbcampbell

cbcampbell

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:59 AM

Thanks.

mine is absolutely rock solid and has been from day 1. hdmi. hd. ota. all great.

it is by far the best non-dvr sat receiver i've used.

#9 OFFLINE   gjh3260

gjh3260

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:45 AM

no problems with my 211 using the HDMI input

#10 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

Reading this thread is very interesting. Except for the first few days following the 211's debut, this is the first thread I've read that's had everyone saying how great the 211 is. I watch/read this forum and the 811 forum closely and actually have noticed where the 211 posts had started becoming as bad as the 811 posts used to be. I, like the originator of this thread, had pretty well determined not to upgrade to the 211 due to all the negative feedback out there.
A few posts up, someone said that his 211 had no problems except for the lip sync issues using optical cabling! If optical audio provides superior (the best) sound (and I always thought it did), that to me would be a major glitch & enough to keep me from upgrading.
I'm not being sarcastic, but am I missing something here??:confused:

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#11 OFFLINE   rustamust

rustamust

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

The lip sync with optical out was fixed with 265. Every now and then I have a problem with TNT but latley it the same on SD and on wifes 510. Come on jump in the 211 game I dont think you will be sorry. My 811 lost favorites yesterday which is the first problem in months. Glad it in the RV.

#12 OFFLINE   BoisePaul

BoisePaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:07 PM

I've got to say that I'm fairly picky about my A/V gear, but at this point, I can't find anything wrong with my 211. Are there things that I wish it did but doesn't? Sure, but for the specified features it works great for me. I don't see any lip sync issues either. Now I just wish that E* would release an HD receiver that's RS232 controllable.

#13 OFFLINE   Tonik

Tonik

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

A few posts up, someone said that his 211 had no problems except for the lip sync issues using optical cabling! If optical audio provides superior (the best) sound (and I always thought it did), that to me would be a major glitch & enough to keep me from upgrading.
I'm not being sarcastic, but am I missing something here??:confused:

I am not trying to be sarcastic either, but I agree with you. Someone that has HDTV probably has good audio gear and a 'home theater' type of set up. I would think quality digital audio would be pretty high on their list.

I think two things are happening here. One, Dish has been successful in driving down peoples expectations by consistantly shipping defective product. I know that is harsh but non-working optical audio is a defect.

And two, there are currently no other choices for many of us.

#14 OFFLINE   homertiger

homertiger

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

I am not trying to be sarcastic either, but I agree with you. Someone that has HDTV probably has good audio gear and a 'home theater' type of set up. I would think quality digital audio would be pretty high on their list.

I think two things are happening here. One, Dish has been successful in driving down peoples expectations by consistantly shipping defective product. I know that is harsh but non-working optical audio is a defect.

And two, there are currently no other choices for many of us.

I am watching "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" right now on "TNTHD"with no lip sync problem (Dolby Digital, Optical). I have noticed before that TNTHD had lip sync issues, but only TNTHD. So this makes me think that it was TNTHD, not the 211.

#15 OFFLINE   thomas_d92

thomas_d92

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

I have my 411 for 4 months and no problems with hdmi or anything else . My 622 has lost its hdmi output but everything else is perfect.

#16 OFFLINE   butette

butette

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:14 PM

Thanks.

I ran into a Dish Network installation guy today and asked him about this very issue, and he told me NOT to get the HD package for now since they are seeing a lot of problems with all the software "upgrade". That says a lot coming from a Dish N. guy.

#17 OFFLINE   davidxlai

davidxlai

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

My 211 has been working flawlessly since I got it in February. No reboot.

#18 OFFLINE   homertiger

homertiger

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

I ran into a Dish Network installation guy today and asked him about this very issue, and he told me NOT to get the HD package for now since they are seeing a lot of problems with all the software "upgrade". That says a lot coming from a Dish N. guy.

BS

#19 OFFLINE   butette

butette

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:18 PM

BS

Why do you think this is BS ? What he said makes perfect sense to me. He said if you want to get Dish Network, get the regular package for now, and wait a few months for them to work through the software bugs, then upgrade to the HD package. Support people do not want to install and sell crappy product anymore than consumer wants to buy them, unless you are the exception.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:36 PM

Perhaps the guy needs to find a new line of work if he doesn't have confidence in the products he is installing. That says a lot.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...