Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV.com Online Account Management in Mozilla

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

Has anyone else had issues where the online account management (notably the view statement page within the popup window) when viewed with Mozilla is formatted rather poorly and doesn't show the nice spacing and fonts that are shown if you look at the page through IE?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:38 PM

SO just use IE for that site and the few others that just dont play well with Firefox...its not really rocket science

#3 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:04 PM

Has anyone else had issues where the online account management (notably the view statement page within the popup window) when viewed with Mozilla is formatted rather poorly and doesn't show the nice spacing and fonts that are shown if you look at the page through IE?

matty, i use both IE7 & Firefox. With Firefox, it is formatted strangely as you've stated. IE7 looks normal. :)

#4 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

SO just use IE for that site and the few others that just dont play well with Firefox...its not really rocket science

IE sucks...I'd rather not.

#5 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

So get IE Tab, then. You can even configure it so particular sites always come up rendered in IE.

BTW, for all the "IE sucks" sentiment I've heard, I've never heard anyone say they had to use something else because IE was screwing up rendering.

#6 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

Wow, that works great! Thanks, I didn't even know that was out there...

#7 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Don't do much web development do you? IE screws up many things it shouldn't. Many times because MS didn't follow the rules, other times because the rules where vauge. No biggie either way though. I use FireFox for 99% of my browsing and then IE Tab or IE7 for anything else that doesn't work right.

So get IE Tab, then. You can even configure it so particular sites always come up rendered in IE.

BTW, for all the "IE sucks" sentiment I've heard, I've never heard anyone say they had to use something else because IE was screwing up rendering.

R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

#8 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:44 AM

Don't do much web development do you? IE screws up many things it shouldn't. Many times because MS didn't follow the rules, other times because the rules where vauge. No biggie either way though. I use FireFox for 99% of my browsing and then IE Tab or IE7 for anything else that doesn't work right.

Actually I've been there since the beginning (anyone remember Mosaic?) I don't do any of that stuff for work anymore, but still do a bit in my spare time (I run a webserver to share pictures/videos with friends and family I wrote from scratch for kicks).

I wasn't saying IE was right (far from it). I was saying people don't generally have to switch to something other than IE to get a particular site working. That's because the site doesn't go live until it works in IE (even if it means satisfying IE quirks). The developers may or may not do a sniff test on alternative browsers.

I will say that Firefox helped me find a few minor bugs in my webserver, and for that I'm grateful, but I'm happier with IE for rendering it correctly in the first place.

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

(anyone remember Mosaic?)

You mean the groundbreaking Web Browser, developed by NCSA at the University of Illinois - Champaign-Urbana around 1993?

The one that was the foundation for IE v1,v2 and was still given it's "props" in the IE About->Help till version 7 ?

Nah.. never heard of it..

(I actually had some co-works in College that worked on the project.... )
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

(I actually had some co-works in College that worked on the project.... )

So you know Al Gore :D. j/k
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#11 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:24 PM

I don't use IE for many reasons which I wont get into. :)

I test every site I do in IE and FireFox and spend many hours writing code to determine if it's IE or FF and then display it a certain way for one or the other. I wish they would all just agree. Would make my life better. :)

Actually I've been there since the beginning (anyone remember Mosaic?) I don't do any of that stuff for work anymore, but still do a bit in my spare time (I run a webserver to share pictures/videos with friends and family I wrote from scratch for kicks).

I wasn't saying IE was right (far from it). I was saying people don't generally have to switch to something other than IE to get a particular site working. That's because the site doesn't go live until it works in IE (even if it means satisfying IE quirks). The developers may or may not do a sniff test on alternative browsers.

I will say that Firefox helped me find a few minor bugs in my webserver, and for that I'm grateful, but I'm happier with IE for rendering it correctly in the first place.

R15 (500)

#12 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

What about Opera? Huh, huh, huh?

#13 OFFLINE   sheridan1952

sheridan1952

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:19 PM

What about Opera? Huh, huh, huh?

The fat lady sang already.

#14 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

Opera is well Opera. Outside of that for the most part Opera just tells a website it's IE6 and deals with the IE formatting rules.
R15 (500)

#15 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

IE is no longer available for Macintosh.

#16 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

FWIW, I checked it out, and for some reason Firefox doesn't apply the stylesheet, but only when viewing it "live". If I save all the required files to my filesystem and open it from there, it looks just like IE (i.e. correct).

#17 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:28 AM

IE Tab or View in IE (opens the page in a full IE window) works greats. Cnn video is another side I use IE tab because the idiots at cnn, can't program their site correctly.

BTW, FF is standards compliant, unlike IE, so it's not a fault of FF it's DTV site...

#18 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:13 PM

I'm not so sure. In this particular case I think Firefox might be wrong. As I said earlier, for no apparent reason at all, Firefox fails to apply the stylesheet. I think it might be because it's https (like it's trying to get it from the cache, but correctly doesn't cache https documents). There doesn't appear to be anything at all wrong with the HTML, which works just fine when loaded as local files.

Regardless, blind adherence to standards just so you can say you're right and they're wrong isn't the way to go in this case. Since quite a bit is still handwritten, you're not going to stop people making errors in their HTML, so it's really better to be flexible. Or they could at least have a "pedantic" switch we could turn off.

#19 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:20 PM

Ah, there it is in the JavaScript (?) console.

Error: The stylesheet https://directv3.ebi.../stylesheet.css was not loaded because its MIME type, "application/x-pointplus", is not "text/css".
Source File: https://directv3.ebi...038019421484987
Line: 0

Like I said: pedantic. The correct type is specified in the link tag, but the server is reporting the wrong type. You know what: who cares? It's a stylesheet. Just load it.

http://en.wikipedia....type_text.2Fcss

#20 OFFLINE   cybok0

cybok0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:25 AM

DTV web site looks the same in FF as IE to me, I always use FF and dont have any problems.:)
HR22-100, HR24-500
R-16

Protected By... spam firewall...And...