Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV.com Online Account Management in Mozilla

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jasen

Jasen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:09 AM

looks the same in firefox and in I.e and netscape

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:33 PM

I don't know what to say, because that's just not true for me with the latest version (1.5.0.4) of Firefox. Some possibilties:

1) You didn't go far enough to see what we're talking about (you have to sign in and view a statement--specifically once you get into the ebilling.com domain).
2) You didn't notice the difference (the stylesheet doesn't change much--just some fonts and colors--but it looks much nicer when done correctly).
3) You have an older version of Firefox that doesn't have this problem.

#23 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:18 AM

Ah, there it is in the JavaScript (?) console.

Like I said: pedantic. The correct type is specified in the link tag, but the server is reporting the wrong type. You know what: who cares? It's a stylesheet. Just load it.

http://en.wikipedia....type_text.2Fcss

Hmm, I wonder if this has been reported in Bugzilla...I'll have to investigate.

#24 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:50 AM

Oh, I suspect they'd be proud to be "standards compliant"

BTW, another thing I discovered is that essentially there is a "pedantic switch". The only problem is, it's triggered by the HTML author, not by the end-user. It's called quirks mode:
http://developer.moz...s_Mode_Behavior

Their answer would be that DirecTV (more correctly, ebilling) could fix it by changing their doctype declaration:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

To this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

#25 OFFLINE   cybok0

cybok0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:43 AM

I don't know what to say, because that's just not true for me with the latest version (1.5.0.4) of Firefox. Some possibilties:

1) You didn't go far enough to see what we're talking about (you have to sign in and view a statement--specifically once you get into the ebilling.com domain).
2) You didn't notice the difference (the stylesheet doesn't change much--just some fonts and colors--but it looks much nicer when done correctly).
3) You have an older version of Firefox that doesn't have this problem.

1) I look at all the ebilling with FF on D*
2)IE and FF looks the same to me
3)I have the latest version of FF (1.5.0.4)

sorry i just cant tell the diffrence, I'll admit some web pages look and perform better with IE than FF but not D* web site.
HR22-100, HR24-500
R-16

#26 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:53 AM

1) I look at all the ebilling with FF on D*
2)IE and FF looks the same to me
3)I have the latest version of FF (1.5.0.4)

sorry i just cant tell the diffrence, I'll admit some web pages look and perform better with IE than FF but not D* web site.

Did you check the Javascript console to see if it declined to use the stylesheet? Like I said, it's subtle font and color changes, but it definitely looks nicer with the stylesheet. And now that I understand what is happening, it's by design that they are ignoring the stylesheet, so the only way it could look the same for you in IE and Firefox is if your version of IE has also decided not to apply the stylesheet (a distinct possibility--I should check another IE).

Oh, and I thought I was kind of joking above when I claimed they would say the site is broken, but I just searched Firefox's bugzilla for "text/css", and many of the hits are things called "tech evang" bugs. These are bugs filed against the websites.

#27 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

They just completely changed the layout today for much of their site. View statement is still bad in Firefox, though. And now it doesn't have a scrollbar in either FF or IE.

#28 OFFLINE   cybok0

cybok0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:26 AM

Did you check the Javascript console to see if it declined to use the stylesheet? Like I said, it's subtle font and color changes, but it definitely looks nicer with the stylesheet. And now that I understand what is happening, it's by design that they are ignoring the stylesheet, so the only way it could look the same for you in IE and Firefox is if your version of IE has also decided not to apply the stylesheet (a distinct possibility--I should check another IE).

I just dont understand what the stylesheet does or why I have to worry about as long as I can see the page.sorry for the newb question:confused:

They just completely changed the layout today for much of their site. View statement is still bad in Firefox, though. And now it doesn't have a scrollbar in either FF or IE.

I don't know why yours looks bad in FF but mine is great every part of the site and it does have a scroll bar.:)

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture (29,04_06_37).jpg

HR22-100, HR24-500
R-16

#29 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:29 AM

Again, I'm talking about viewing a statement (for the scrollbars).

I'll work up some screenshots once I redact the personal stuff.

OK, here they are.

Attached Thumbnails

• ie.jpg
  • ff.jpg

#30 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:46 PM

View Statement looks fine for me under 1.5.0.4.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#31 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:47 PM

Again, I'm talking about viewing a statement (for the scrollbars).

I'll work up some screenshots once I redact the personal stuff.

OK, here they are.

Ah, scroll bars are missing. Up and down arrows work.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#32 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

View Statement looks fine for me under 1.5.0.4.

Define "fine". I mean the page is perfectly usable without the stylesheet (as well it should be). I wouldn't have even noticed without this thread. But it doesn't change the fact that Firefox, by design, is ignoring the stylesheet for (IMO) no good reason.

Are you saying your version of 1.5.0.4 is different from my version of 1.5.0.4 and is applying the stylesheet?

#33 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

No, FF is not using the stylesheet however neither FF or IE has a scrollbar. With FF I can arrow up and down to view the statement. With IE I cannot. I only see the top portion of the statement.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#34 OFFLINE   quirkykarma

quirkykarma

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:40 AM

Cybok0,
I looked at that screenshot of your bill and wanted to ask you a question......How long did it take for your Bellsouth discount to appear on your bill? Can I ask what services you have with Bellsouth to get the $10 discount? :confused:

#35 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:03 AM

Actually, that's my bill. It's been awhile, so I don't remember the specifics. The application here says two billing cycles. I've got the top phone package (unlimited LD, etc.) and the middle (not "lite" and not the fastest) DSL.

#36 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:36 PM

Now that they've changed their site to the new layout, I can't even view my statements in IETab. The popup window doesn't open...

#37 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:08 PM

It seems to work fine in Safari :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...