Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting a tripod as part of a standard install

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nathan_h

nathan_h

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

I've ordered an HD package from dish to be installed in a week.

It's been a long time since I had dish, since I was living for a few years in an apartment where i had no access to a south-facing skyline.....

But now I'm renting a house.

Since it's an older home the landlord wants me to use a tripod setup, in the yard, and not the roof of the house, for the dish.

I tried to confirm with DISH via phone and email that this is acceptable, for the kind of install I have ordered. On the phone they verbally said "okay" but I am skeptical whether the customer service person even knows what a tripod is....

Is there a way for me to contact the local installer dish intends to send out, and confirm with them that this is okay/planned? I'm guessing that at the very least, this might incur some extra cost.

(PS: Though new to this forum, I've been on AVS for years, and know to search for an answer before asking a question. Alas, I couldn't find anything that addressed this issue -- perhaps I don't know the right key words yet.)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rcdallas

rcdallas

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:27 PM

It's been a long time since I had dish, since I was living for a few years in an apartment where i had no access to a south-facing skyline.....

Since it's an older home the landlord wants me to use a tripod setup, in the yard, and not the roof of the house, for the dish.

I tried to confirm with DISH via phone and email that this is acceptable, for the kind of install I have ordered. On the phone they verbally said "okay" but I am skeptical whether the customer service person even knows what a tripod is....

Is there a way for me to contact the local installer dish intends to send out, and confirm with them that this is okay/planned? I'm guessing that at the very least, this might incur some extra cost.

(PS: Though new to this forum, I've been on AVS for years, and know to search for an answer before asking a question. Alas, I couldn't find anything that addressed this issue -- perhaps I don't know the right key words yet.)

Best bet would be to find the number to the local LSC/Depot and confirm directly.

If not at least a non-pen unit with 4-6 cinder blocks will work to depending on your LOS.

#3 OFFLINE   nathan_h

nathan_h

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

Thanks. Can I get the number for the local LSC/Depot from Dish, or is there a way to look it up myself without waiting on hold with their cust service?

(Is there a FAQ that defines terms like "non-pen"?)

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:28 PM

non-penetrating

#5 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:25 AM

Tripod in the yard doesn't sound too hot to me for stability.

Why not a standard pole mount in the yard???

It would be covered under a standard install. If the owner was concerned about it being permanent, don't fret because they can be dug up and removed. I manually removed an old basketball pole that was concreted in the ground. So a dish pole should be much easier.

I have a rental house where they did a pole mount for Dish 500 automatically yesterday! They said their company no longer likes to perform roof mounts for various reasons. In a way I'm glad they did the pole mount because the roof will need to replaced in the near future.

The only problem with our install is that it's on the front corner of the house and not the best location, asthetically, children, etc. So I will probably move it onto an eave using a special bracket so it will penetrate a couple of 2x4's.

Also, the non-pentrating roof mount would work too. I'm fairly certain that would not be part of a standard install though.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:02 AM

A tripod would be a hazard on the ground for mowing, trimming and to Kids.

A ground pole is a much better idea.

Another alternative is a vent pipe mount, which is cheap, and is carried by most installers in the truck.

#7 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:27 AM

<If not at least a non-pen unit with 4-6 cinder blocks will work>

That is what I have on my roof, standard install. But, many of the roofs here in the SW are "flat".

#8 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

Heavy concrete blacks and metal non-penetrating roof mounts have their own hazards. Ever had the corner of a heavy concrete block or a steel bracket land on a soft flat roof?

The vent pipe adapter or the ground pole is easier, cheaper, and an overall better option.

A 4" earth auger hole drill 30 inches deep requires very little concrete. I regularly remove them by drilling another couple of holes on the side of the concrete.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

A tripod would be a hazard on the ground for mowing, trimming and to Kids.

If that's what the landlord is asking for, this is probably the best approach.

A ground pole is a much better idea.

This assumes that you know the layout of anything that may be located underground. I've seen cut irrigation pipes and damaged yard lighting systems from careless digging.

Another alternative is a vent pipe mount, which is cheap, and is carried by most installers in the truck.

Most vent pipes from the last decade or so won't support things hanging on them. Many are now UV resistant non-metallic pipe.

Given the type of "lawns" that they have in the Southwest, staking down a tripod with augers isn't a bad idea and you can be in an out in a hour.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

A 4" earth auger hole drill 30 inches deep requires very little concrete. I regularly remove them by drilling another couple of holes on the side of the concrete.

This doesn't provide for the highly recommended anti-spin bar. I've never been a fan of relying on the simple "baloney cut" to prevent spinning.

#11 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:56 PM

This doesn't provide for the highly recommended anti-spin bar. I've never been a fan of relying on the simple "baloney cut" to prevent spinning.

An imexpensive 1-5/8" auto muffler clamp at $1.10 from the auto parts store does just fine. There's no need for a long cross bolt or rod. The bottom of the pole needs to be open for drainage, of the side will rust through as it fills up with water, like holes at the bottom of a car door, if the drainage holes are allowed to clog.

#12 OFFLINE   nathan_h

nathan_h

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

Hmmm. Lots to learn about, for me. I'll keep an eye on this discussion, but is there a faq?

I'm not too concerned about kids/yard maintenance issues. The area is open, and not used.

I would LOVE to be able to contact the particular installer before they show up.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:57 PM

One ground post method that I developed several years back was ideal for soft soils like on the East and Gulf Coasts like in Houston, Texas and Louisana.

A 1-5/8 inch actual diameter galvanized chain link fence post fits snugly over a farm type steel T post. These are`really cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, TSC or other farm supply stores.

Tap the galvanized tube over the T post and strap a two way post level on the post. Drive the post in with a standard T post driver, while making sure that it's plumb.

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:45 PM

An imexpensive 1-5/8" auto muffler clamp at $1.10 from the auto parts store does just fine. There's no need for a long cross bolt or rod. The bottom of the pole needs to be open for drainage, of the side will rust through as it fills up with water, like holes at the bottom of a car door, if the drainage holes are allowed to clog.

The specification I read instructs that the pipe must be filled with concrete. It also specifies a 10" cross-bar IIRC.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:32 PM

The specification I read instructs that the pipe must be filled with concrete. It also specifies a 10" cross-bar IIRC.

As one trained in structual engineering, I can't see how two five inch lever arms are needed to keep the pole from turning. The concrete, in its weakest incarnation has a compression strength of 3000 psi. Even the 7/16" head of a 1/4" bolt with a tensile strength of 80,000 psi, would require a torque of at least 500-1000ft pounds ti turn it.

A wind load of that strength would be a Category 3+ hurricane. At that kind of load, the pole is more likely to be bent over, than to be twisted and turned,

I've successully used one tightened plain stainless steel worm drive hose clamp to keep a pole from turning in concrete. Using a 24 inch piple wrench, you'd twist the pole would be twisted like a candy cane, before twisting the mounting.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:52 PM

As one trained in structual engineering, I can't see how two five inch lever arms are needed to keep the pole from turning. The concrete, in its weakest incarnation has a compression strength of 3000 psi. Even the 7/16" head of a 1/4" bolt with a tensile strength of 80,000 psi, would require a torque of at least 500-1000ft pounds ti turn it.

You're assuming correctly mixed concrete (as opposed to dumping a bucket of water on top of fencepost premix) into "undisturbed earth" (a popular civil engineering term). Soil can be a pretty squirrely material and its structural properties can vary widely based on temperature and moisture content.

I didn't mean to suggest that what you propose wouldn't work in many cases. I meant to point out that it doesn't meet the Dish Network specifications for a ground pole mount.

#17 OFFLINE   manicd

manicd

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:44 AM

When Dish put in a system for my friend I had refered, they used a tripod setup becuase the landlord had the same problems (100 year old house brick). All that held the tripod to the ground were spikes about a foot long. I could not believe that the dish never moved in over a year that had service. Of course, being partially sheltered from any winds by the side of the house helped.

#18 OFFLINE   nathan_h

nathan_h

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:42 AM

When Dish put in a system for my friend I had refered, they used a tripod setup becuase the landlord had the same problems (100 year old house brick). All that held the tripod to the ground were spikes about a foot long. I could not believe that the dish never moved in over a year that had service. Of course, being partially sheltered from any winds by the side of the house helped.

That's excellent news.

Was there an extra charge? Did the installer have the tripod in their truck as part of standard gear? I've been unable to get the contact info for the local installer Dish is sending out, so I guess I'll find out later today when the person shows up....

#19 OFFLINE   nathan_h

nathan_h

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:11 PM

Alas, the installer would have none of it: Ended up with a choice of either no install, or on the roof. Luckily we were able to sight it at the back of the house, on an overhang that is notdirectly over the house, and use existing holes for cable TV (so no new holes were put in the structure, other than a non-integral part of the roof).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...