Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

directv merger

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mentalcase_*

Guest_mentalcase_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2002 - 07:10 PM

from what i heard directv is going out of bussiness and will be bought by echo star. this is why directv offers no support on any equipment what so ever, neither does hughes. i have 2 hughes recievers (gceb0a) executive gold boxes and after 4 days they loose time and i must pull the plug to re-aquire the signal. NO one will help me at all-- im glad Directv is going out of bussiness!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 07:33 PM

DirecTV is NOT going out of business. GMH has been up for sale for a while, after News Corporation (parent company of FOX) backed out, Echostar made a proposal and Hughes agreed. The merger is yet to be apporoved by federal organizations like the FCC and FTC. Nothing is set in stone and the merger may not even happen
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 07:34 PM

Do you normally answer mental cases Steve?
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 07:38 PM

I don't know if he's serious or not. But requardless, I fell even in the slightest possability it's better to pass along correct the info. And plus I don't want some newbies to get the wrong idea. If not, no big loss.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 11:40 AM

Originally posted by mentalcase
from what i heard directv is going out of bussiness and will be bought by echo star. this is why directv offers no support on any equipment what so ever, neither does hughes. i have 2 hughes recievers (gceb0a) executive gold boxes and after 4 days they loose time and i must pull the plug to re-aquire the signal. NO one will help me at all-- im glad Directv is going out of bussiness!!!!

I don't know if this post is for real or not - but what you are telling us is that BOTH of your Hughes receivers have the exact same problems? How does your receiver "loose" time when the time and guide are fed by satellite? Maybe the clocks in your house are fast. You have to unplug both of your receivers in order to get signal? That makes no sense. So on both of your receivers you are sitting there watching tv and then the signal just goes away? What are your signal strengths (found in the menu are of the receiver)? Have you checked the troubleshooting area of the manual? If you have low signal strength and a cloud rolls by, you could temporarily lose signal. Have you checked your wiring to make sure all connections are tight and installed properly? Have the installer come back and make sure the installation is right.

It seems that you are starting at the top to solve the problem when you should be starting at the bottom. Start with the installer, then the retailer, then the Directv Technical Assistance line. You'll probably have better results. Equipment problems with Directv equipment (especially Hughes equipment) are rare.

BTW, Directv is NOT going out of business. They are being purchased by Echostar and awaiting government approval as all potential anti-trust mergeers must receive.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#6 OFFLINE   Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:28 PM

What did your mothers tell you abour feeding the trolls?
Rejoined the TiVolution!

#7 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 02:51 PM

after 4 days they loose time

Better to have loose time than loose teeth, right Nick? :lol:
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#8 Guest_mentalcase_*

Guest_mentalcase_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2002 - 07:01 PM

first let me tell you something, directv is a piece of garbage, ok. the technolog has been around since the 1960`s. they just got the idea to mass market mini dishes for TV. yes both recievers loose time on the guide after about 5 days if i dont pull the plug, after 3 weeks the time on the guide would be 24 hours behind. Directcv can not make a compatable access card for the new hughes recievers. AND YES, there is NO TECH SUPPORT WHAT SO EVER. any 800 # that directv has is manned by total retarts. if i demand a supervisor i get the same respose.Hughes customer service is a total joke, its got to the point i just call them and hang up. there is no point what so ever and speaking to those dopes. THE SAD FACT IS IF IT DONT WORK OUT OF THE BOX, TAKE IT BACK TO THE STORE. but i bet my guide scrolls better than yours, and i got a lighted remote that works from any room, great, if it can only keep time though .

#9 Guest_mentalcase_*

Guest_mentalcase_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2002 - 11:11 PM

by the way fools, the signal meter is reading 100 % on satelite 101 and 96 % on sat 119. its amazing how impressed you all are with dtv. i think this site is an advertisment for directv because subs are never satisfied. you people never complain. im glad d* is going out of bussiness. i`ll repeat again , i get a good picture but the guide cant keep time and d* offers no tech support on this what so ever, and neither does hughes. these companies are goin down just like you !

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 11:33 PM

Okay MentalCase, if you feel that way then you can go post your garbage somewhere else then. Some considered this a troll post, which infact is what it is, but I let it go in hope you would find help and others offered to help. One final note, D* must be doing something right to have 12 million customers. Bye!
Down With Verizon!

spam firewall